110km/h beep beep speed alarm - 2000 Hilux Surf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi everyone,

So I've had my 2000 KZN185 Hilux Surf (1kz-te) which was imported from Japan many years ago since 2014 and I never had this happen until recently.

See the attached YouTube clip of a dashboard alarm going off anytime the vehicle touches 110km/h or above.

I did some major electrical work last year (had a main harness short, had to rewire and fix a bunch of blown fuses etc). Only after doing that did this speed alarm start happening. The electrician who did the work has no idea about it or what he could have done to have re-enabled it.

The vehicle reverse alarm has always worked (the same exact noise), but never the speed alarm. I'd like to keep the reverse beep (which is a nice safety feature off-road) but cut the very very annoying 110kmph speed alarm.

I've seen a LandCruiser 80 thread here about it but no one offered any solution, just some discussion.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

PS. Put it in this forum since the 4runner guys won't be of much help since they don't have that alarm for their 4runners as far as I know. I think it is a 90s JDM thing.

Thanks

Most owners of JDM vehicles cut the wire to the alarm. I guess your electrician has somehow reconnected it, assuming it was already cut when you bought the Prado.
I have no idea where the alarm is.
Ill take a guess and say there is 2 wires to the alarm. one from the reverse switch and one from the tacho. Cut the wire from the tacho and you will have fixed it. Sounds easy lol

Most owners of JDM vehicles cut the wire to the alarm. I guess your electrician has somehow reconnected it, assuming it was already cut when you bought the Prado.
I have no idea where the alarm is.
Ill take a guess and say there is 2 wires to the alarm. one from the reverse switch and one from the tacho. Cut the wire from the tacho and you will have fixed it. Sounds easy lol
The alarm itself is a speaker within th gauge cluster itself, but the puzzling part is that even when the speed alarm was disabled the reverse alarm still worked fine (same speaker).

The electrician himself took out the gauge cluster this week and looked through it and couldn't work out how to disable the speed alarm. I am puzzled

Hi all, any more ideas on this one? Been asking around and no one around here seems to know how to help.

Thanks

Hi all, any more ideas on this one? Been asking around and no one around here seems to know how to help.

Thanks
Easy fix, just stay below 110. I might get my 70 to 110 on a 30% down grade, in Mexican overdrive. 😁

Easy fix, just stay below 110. I might get my 70 to 110 on a 30% down grade, in Mexican overdrive. 😁
Lol.

I usually drive around 110 on the highway with a 110 speed limit, but when passing/overtaking etc it is VERY annoying, not to mention the wife gives me some real death stares. Need to figure this out

Am I missing something, I thought that on that small island by the time that you got a JDM up to 110 it would be time to start braking before you ran off the end. :rofl:

Am I missing something, I thought that on that small island by the time that you got a JDM up to 110 it would be time to start braking before you ran off the end. :rofl:
Funny funny,

But seriously, the two toll highways (about the only places I hit 110kmph - the speed limit) are 68km and 45km long, and that beeping can get annoying really quickly for those drives.

If the limit came it at 120 or so I wouldn't even bother since it is extremely rare for me to cross that, but 110 means always driving below the speed limit.

I would think that there should be somewhere that you could adjust the speed at which the alarm comes on. Or would that be to simple a fix?

I would think that there should be somewhere that you could adjust the speed at which the alarm comes on. Or would that be to simple a fix?
If it could be adjusted I would be ALL for that. I can't even figure out how to disable it, let alone adjust it though, and the previous owner has been unreachable since 2015!

I can find all sorts of ways to do it if your vehicle has a touch screen, if no screen there is nothing that I can find on the internet.

I can find all sorts of ways to do it if your vehicle has a touch screen, if no screen there is nothing that I can find on the internet.
The closest thing to a touchscreen is when I leave fingerprints on the windscreen when putting up my dashcam and gps hahaha.

If you still have this information I could use it! I do have a touch screen AND the annoying alarm in the 1998 JDM LC I just bought. And then drove from TX to OR…. Most of the highway speed limits were 70+. I ended up just wearing noise canceling headphones for the drive. Yes I know I’m not supposed to, no I don’t care. Lol They saved my sanity.

Nothing that I can find now. Back then I was just searching around on the internet for badman9 and the touch screen stuff came up.

in my 80 I just pulled the Pezo speaker out behind the cluster

I pulled mine out from behind the cluster. '90 JDM Hilux. Here's a picture.

20230603_183104.jpg

Once removed, no more 110km/hr ding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom