FF vs SEMI FLOAT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
What’s the difference between a full float and a semi float axle? I’m pretty sure I have double full floaters, but is that better than a FF front and SF rear, or are full floaters better....? What do they do exactly?

7F47472A-67EA-4DDF-B3C2-D3393F837F78.jpeg

The internet is your friend.

The internet is your friend.

Ye I was just asking because I saw a ton of conflicting info. Some were saying SF was stronger, some saying FF was stronger. Do you know if 40s came from the factory with FF rears? It looks like my rears are full floats. Not sure what axle it is

Remove the cap on the rear and take a picture. Fronts are all free floating.

US never got a rear FF in a 40 series. Australia they were standard from 75 on. Which market do you think Toyota figured needed a tougher rear axle and use that to decide which is stronger.

Remove the cap on the rear and take a picture. Fronts are all free floating.

US never got a rear FF in a 40 series. Australia they were standard from 75 on. Which market do you think Toyota figured needed a tougher rear axle and use that to decide which is stronger.
Mine is from CR, and the PO did a few restoration mods. My cruiser was also somewhat well specced because it had a radio and hazards. I don’t have the truck rn, but I should have it soon, and I’ll update the thread then. Do you know if Central American cruisers got FF rears?

Mine is from CR, and the PO did a few restoration mods. My cruiser was also somewhat well specced because it had a radio and hazards. I don’t have the truck rn, but I should have it soon, and I’ll update the thread then. Do you know if Central American cruisers got FF rears?

Generally not in Central America. Quickest way to tell is pop the center cover off. Semi floating are flush with the rim. Full floaters sticks out. Not sure if the axle in the lower left can tell it's a FF.
IMG_20190822_190910023.jpg

Forgot I had pictures of one I sold a few years back.
IMG_20190307_124811699.jpg
IMG_20190307_125000286_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Generally not in Central America. Quickest way to tell is pop the center cover off. Semi floating are flush with the rim. Full floaters sticks out. Not sure if the axle in the lower left can tell it's a FF.
View attachment 2670186
Forgot I had pictures of one I sold a few years back.
View attachment 2670187View attachment 2670189
I’ll ask the PO see if he knows.....I probably won’t get it back for another few days. I have a guy installing my engine, it’s almost done but he decided to not tell me that I had a broken engine mount until he started working on it. Only reason I’m not doing it is because I don’t have an engine hoist, or the time to do it

ordered from Australia, taking forever to arrive in the mail. You know how USPS is

anyway, if it is a FF axle, the PO would probably know because it’s uncommon

The back plate over the diff is welded on FF and bolt on for semi floater. That and the hubs are the easiest way to tell. On the FF up 8/80 the brake backing plate has right bolts to secure it verses six on semi floater. 8/80 plus there are all four bolts.

Pura Vida,

As others have said, please take the time to search for your answers before posting up new questions. From your post you are young and in High School. You should know how to surf the internet and find things. I will try to be polite. You are filling up our forum with Yo Yo talk, language, I hope you do not speak like that. Your squat thread is just dumb, go to the bro dozer sites and ask your silly questions. This site is for tech on FJ4X series. If you want to post up your slang ramblings please take them over to "chat". I had hoped your avitar was just that but it seams it could either be the real you or your internet version of yourself.

A quick search pulled up this. Full floater vs semi floater - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/full-floater-vs-semi-floater.164999/

There are many up there but this pulled up first. Most will be mud postings as this site has a lot of great info on it, it would be a shame to fill it up with ramblings like this one and most of your other post. Most of your questions could be found with a simple search. Look at the Faqs section at the top of this forum and it will answer a lot of your questions. A Stock wheels for FJ40 search, would answer all the questions you need for your wheels. Do a little work on your own before posting up here. People on this forum are happy to help out but it seems to me you want us to do all the work for you. It was cute at the start like a puppy, now that you have been on here for 11 months it is getting old.

Please take this as positive, if we were on the old PBB, you would have already been banned.

Thanks,
Rob

Pura Vida,

As others have said, please take the time to search for your answers before posting up new questions. From your post you are young and in High School. You should know how to surf the internet and find things. I will try to be polite. You are filling up our forum with Yo Yo talk, language, I hope you do not speak like that. Your squat thread is just dumb, go to the bro dozer sites and ask your silly questions. This site is for tech on FJ4X series. If you want to post up your slang ramblings please take them over to "chat". I had hoped your avitar was just that but it seams it could either be the real you or your internet version of yourself.

A quick search pulled up this. Full floater vs semi floater - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/full-floater-vs-semi-floater.164999/

There are many up there but this pulled up first. Most will be mud postings as this site has a lot of great info on it, it would be a shame to fill it up with ramblings like this one and most of your other post. Most of your questions could be found with a simple search. Look at the Faqs section at the top of this forum and it will answer a lot of your questions. A Stock wheels for FJ40 search, would answer all the questions you need for your wheels. Do a little work on your own before posting up here. People on this forum are happy to help out but it seems to me you want us to do all the work for you. It was cute at the start like a puppy, now that you have been on here for 11 months it is getting old.

Please take this as positive, if we were on the old PBB, you would have already been banned.

Thanks,
Rob
Sorry rob, I’ll try to keep it down

the pfp was a suggestion by retro I think in meme thread

a dude showing off a “no ragrets” tattoo

your rear axle is not a ff...that hub cap would'nt fit over a ff hub.

View attachment 2670345
Aight.

And just to be clear, FF is stronger, but SF is fine.....that’s what I took from the threads....is that right..? About half of the people on other threads were saying SF were stronger for some reason

FF is stronger than a SF. And will still get you home if you break it w/o doing a bunch of ’Jury Rigging’ like you must do with a SF.

Next time you're next to a semi truck at a stop light, take a look at the end of the axle at the wheel. That tells you right there which is stronger. 😉

yup. covered before in older threads, but ok
'stronger' is relative to what might fail. FF is made so the load is carried by the axle housing, not the axle shafts. So for very heavy loads it is definitely 'stronger'. For a light weight wheeling truck where it may be breaking shafts by torque/twisting a FF is not 'stronger', as the axle shafts themselves are thinner than in a SF. But as noted above the wheels stay on when an axle breaks so that is generally a plus. The non-removable cover can be a PITA if the axle doesnt break at the flange or twists splines in a FF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom