What to do for a easy anti theft device? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's where the cheap android phone trick I mentioned comes in. Phones have really good GPS support, and you link it to your android account with location services turned on, and you can go to your google maps timeline and see the entire history of where the car has been. The Google "Find My Device" app gives you instant realtime location. All you need is an old Android phone you don't need, which a lot of us probably have by now (I used one I smashed the screen of), and a prepaid sim you can top up the credit for online from time to time. Cheap and works a treat. Far better than a paid service or GPS tag.

The phone is a really handy device to have linked in too. If I wanted to get really fancy, I could use the android phone to bluetooth to some hidden device in the car and to all kinds of evil stuff. Maybe turn on a hidden mic and camera, and start recording it all and uploading it to the cloud, so there's video and audio for the police when they want to prosecute. Or connect to the radio, crank the volume, and play a clip that says "To the bastard who's stolen my car, I'm an explosives expert, and have embedded enough C4 in the driver's seat to blow your balls off. Don't move. If you get up, it will detonate. Return the vehicle to where you found it, and I may choose to disarm the device.
Is it that easy with iPhone? Of course my previous phone (screen shattered) won’t hold a charge for sh*t...

I bought my 80 in Italy, and it came with a set of electrical disconnect keys installed inside the hood on the passenger's side. If you remove the keys, the electrical system is completely isolated from the batteries. That was good in Italy- there are Gypsies there, and the Italian government does not prosecute them for theft, as it is "cultural heritage". Now, I am stationed in Germany, and most of the time, I leave them in place as car theft is pretty rare where I live in Stuttgart and the woods that I hunt in with the 80.

I bought my 80 in Italy, and it came with a set of electrical disconnect keys installed inside the hood on the passenger's side. If you remove the keys, the electrical system is completely isolated from the batteries. That was good in Italy- there are Gypsies there, and the Italian government does not prosecute them for theft, as it is "cultural heritage". Now, I am stationed in Germany, and most of the time, I leave them in place as car theft is pretty rare where I live in Stuttgart and the woods that I hunt in with the 80.
For real?

Hopefully not a dumb question.... Does the RS3000 alarm system have a start immobilizer? Or is it only a noise maker?

^^^^

So it's just Gypsies being 'Gypsies' ? Is that what they are saying? :oops:

It's hiding in plain sight, and if you know these vehicles, I've already told you everything you need to know to figure out where it is. Who can pick up on it? :cool:

Screenshot (104)_LI.jpg

is it that thing? that would stop most thefts in the us

Hopefully not a dumb question.... Does the RS3000 alarm system have a start immobilizer? Or is it only a noise maker?
Would love to know the official answer to this too. I know when I open the door and the alarm goes off, all I have to do is put the key in and start it though.

It's hiding in plain sight, and if you know these vehicles, I've already told you everything you need to know to figure out where it is. Who can pick up on it? :cool:
I see a switch that doesn't belong.

Last edited:
I like @Nemesis1207 idea with prepaid android phone.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem you can try APPLE AIRTAGS

They say:

"Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage."

Here in Hawaii, ~70% of us, use iPhones.

It runs on a CR2032 battery, and they claim the charge will last up to a year.

Might do this myself.

I like @Nemesis1207 idea with prepaid android phone.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem you can try APPLE AIRTAGS

They say:

"Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage."

Here in Hawaii, ~70% of us, use iPhones.

It runs on a CR2032 battery, and they claim the charge will last up to a year.

Might do this myself.
The problem with the Apple product is that if it leaves the proximity of the owners account for an extended period (do your own reading here as I may have missed something) the tag will emit an audible chirp. This is precisely designed in to prevent it from being used to unknowingly track someone. Exactly the opposite of a stealth locator I want in the 80 :( .

I am also looking at GPS trackers and will do something this week. Leaning towards this one currently but still need to do some more research. I want something that has an extended battery life.

140-Day 4G Magnetic GPS Tracker - https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/sparknano-extendedbatt/

Once you get the pin-point location, what you gonna do? Take down their criminal syndicate? /s

But seriously, high quality GPS cool, but most people are lazy, like me, and will forget about it.

It least if it's beeping and giving them notifications that they're being tracked, you can hope they're casuals, panic and ditch the truck. 🤷‍♂️

I won’t recover it myself but provide accurate info to LE. Make it as easy as possible for them to recover my truck.

Battery life - I want something stand alone that is not hardwired into the truck. If it was every few weeks on a charge, I would get lazy. Every three/four months, I can manage that. The app alerts you to battery health and reminds you to charge.

This thread makes me think of the classic bike theif prank videos.....

I was chuckling over this video this AM and my wife just asked me if I’m going to put a long rope on the 80 :rofl: .

Yep, there's one there for sure. If you can tell me which one and why, you win the prize. Which, you know, is basically just bragging rights, because I'm a cheap bastard. :D
Since when does a part time transfer case have a center diff lock?

Since when does a part time transfer case have a center diff lock?
We have a winner! Yep, the CDL switch is my kill switch. Factory button in the factory location, hooking into the factory harness, just not applicable on my model. I've spliced into the harness deep behind the dash, there's no hint of anything changed unless you get right back behind the heater box, and there's no wiring changes for it inside the engine bay. Should fool a potential thief for the few minutes required I reckon. And if not, we'll that's what the Android phone tracker is for.

I wonder why we seem to think that those interested in stealing 80 series Land Cruisers don’t have internet access.

Mine will never be stolen from my home. Maybe elsewhere but not at home.

We have 'DEWS' installed and you're NOT getting past that undetected.

I wonder why we seem to think that those interested in stealing 80 series Land Cruisers don’t have internet access.
I hope they do. As I said, the kill switch is just for the thieves who don't know what they're doing. A GPS tracker embedded in the chassis should be enough to send the smart ones running. And no, I'm not going to post where I've hidden that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom