Help me improve my suspension - BJ42 3B 1981 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First of all I would like to thank Pura Vida, DangerNoodle, -MaTTi- for absolutely ruining my night. As I laid awake at 2:00am I questioned both my abilities as a red neck mechanic and my manhood. 🤣

So today I reconfirmed my install to find it correct. Springs were not flipped. I also remeasured the springs themselves to make sure I had not received incorrect springs (or at least mismatched). As well as counting the number of leafs per pack. But after all this I could not deny the fact that it just doesn’t look right.

This is when I remembered a number of threads talking about “cruiser lean”! So I broke out the measuring tape. Sure as s*** she leans 1 inch to the left! I jacked up the left side to the same height as the right. I think it looks a lot better that way.

I can now sleep at night!

D41FCB4A-F57E-47C0-A388-2366C249D174.jpeg

Last edited:
Measure the distance from eye to pin on both ends of the leaf. The short side should be forwards on the stock 40 packs. Did you have those packs made? If they are custom, it could explain some of the difference.

First of all I would like to thank Pura Vida, DangerNoodle, -MaTTi- for absolutely ruining my night. As I laid awake at 2:00am I questioned both my abilities as a red neck mechanic and my manhood. 🤣

So today I reconfirmed my install to find it correct. Springs were not flipped. I also remeasured the springs themselves to make sure I had not received incorrect springs (or at least mismatched). As well as counting the number of leafs per pack. But after all this I could not deny the fact that it just doesn’t look right.

This is when I remembered a number of threads talking about “cruiser lean”! So I broke out the measuring tape. Sure as s*** she leans 1 inch to the left! I jacked up the left side to the same height as the right. I think it looks a lot better that way.

I can now sleep at night!

View attachment 2669156

I was hoping they would have the military wrap, as that would be a sure way of telling which way is front on the springs. Measure the distance from eye to pin on both ends of the leaf. The short side should be forwards on the stock 40 packs. Did you have those packs made? If they are custom, it could explain some of the differences.

Measure the distance from eye to pin on both ends of the leaf. The short side should be forwards on the stock 40 packs. Did you have those packs made? If they are custom, it could explain some of the differences.
Yes they are correct. Long side to the shackle. They are ProComp leaf springs. I used the part numbers that I had found here as well as talked to the guys at procomp. But now I wonder if there is a different spring that would put the rear axle about an inch shorter.

Either way it doesn’t bother me enough to swap springs again and the ride is SO nice.

Would be great to get the measurement of some OME springs from the eye of the fixed end to the centering pin. Then see if any Procomp springs match.

Just to add I went with Procomp over OME because they were a bit cheaper. If price isn’t an issue then OME would have been my choice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom