Introduction: Just purchased a 2003 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of off/on looking I finally found a super clean 100 with 120k miles. The gentlemen who sold it was the original owner and is getting older and not driving it much. Don't think it's ever been off-road.

My summer project: Tires are the first order of business as the current tires are below minimum tread and old. Lots of small cracking at the edges. It has 18" wheels so the 285-75 BF Goodrich KO2's I plan on putting on are $350/tire. ARB Sahara bumper with a Warn winch and a 2" lift are next mod's.

Tire advice needed: I'm trying to decide if a smaller wheel would be preferable. Either 16" or 17". Hoping some of you will weigh in on this debatable topic.
IMG_6806.jpeg

Looking forward to meeting some of you as I get this rig ready for action...

Nice rig bro, congrats on the church mobile buy. 285/75/17 is a great size. 34 ish overall I think. Aftermarket 17 for these rigs will be at 18-25mm offset giving you and additional 1-1.5” improvement in stance. However, if you aren’t jonesing to get new wheels 275/70/18 is a good size and will be closer to $200 per tire vs $280. Good savings for less than an inch.

Nice rig bro, congrats on the church mobile buy. 285/75/17 is a great size. 34 ish overall I think. Aftermarket 17 for these rigs will be at 18-25mm offset giving you and additional 1-1.5” improvement in stance. However, if you aren’t jonesing to get new wheels 275/70/18 is a good size and will be closer to $200 per tire vs $280. Good savings for less than an inch.
Ya, I'm going to look for a used set of 17" stock LC rims. Assumed it had 17". Didn't realize the 18" KO's didn't come in that size. 🤷‍♂️

Welcome!

Ya, I'm going to look for a used set of 17" stock LC rims. Assumed it had 17". Didn't realize the 18" KO's didn't come in that size. 🤷‍♂️
I found a set of 17’s online, from one (3) of the factory wheel restoration shops. Kind of had to piece together a set of 5, paid from 99.00 to 180.00 each shipped. Haven’t put tires on them yet, will have a set of 5 RW wheels for sale pretty quick.

image.jpg

I think 98-02 had factory 16’s and 03-07 had 18’s. Not sure where you’re getting “factory” 17’s unless it’s from a 08+ and others will have more valuables input there. I don’t recall ever seeing a factory Landcruiser 17” wheel that I was like “yep i need those”. 285/75r18 will be a 35 and likely a lot more work get on your rig rub/interference free.

Awesome rig and welcome aboard.

Sounds to me like you are building a more technical off-roading rig vs overist (overland tourist).

That being said, 16" wheels have a real benefit.,.,.larger side wall to air down = smother off-road driving & more traction. Will benefit you in all aspects other than hwy (slightly less cornering performance).

I think 98-02 had factory 16’s and 03-07 had 18’s. Not sure where you’re getting “factory” 17’s unless it’s from a 08+ and others will have more valuables input there. I don’t recall ever seeing a factory Landcruiser 17” wheel that I was like “yep i need those”. 285/75r18 will be a 35 and likely a lot more work get on your rig rub/interference free.

I believe 17" was a factory option overseas. I'm not sure how difficult and/or expensive it would be to get a set here in the US though.

@RNR365 Personally, I'd stick with the 18" and run a 275/70r18 tire of your choice. Money can be better spent elsewhere on your rig than swapping wheels for minimal or little gain. Things start getting complicated once you get into 34" and especially 35" tires. 33" are really a sweet spot, IMO, and very suitable for 95+% of the off roading any of us will ever do. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Mud!

Ya, I don’t know. Have original factory invoice and it shows 18” wheel upgrade for $350.

Awesome rig and welcome aboard.

Sounds to me like you are building a more technical off-roading rig vs overist (overland tourist).

That being said, 16" wheels have a real benefit.,.,.larger side wall to air down = smother off-road driving & more traction. Will benefit you in all aspects other than hwy (slightly less cornering performance).
Good point. And they’re significantly cheaper. I will be doing some towing... tent trailer. How does that figure in to wheel size do you think?

I believe 17" was a factory option overseas. I'm not sure how difficult and/or expensive it would be to get a set here in the US though.

@RNR365 Personally, I'd stick with the 18" and run a 275/70r18 tire of your choice. Money can be better spent elsewhere on your rig than swapping wheels for minimal or little gain. Things start getting complicated once you get into 34" and especially 35" tires. 33" are really a sweet spot, IMO, and very suitable for 95+% of the off roading any of us will ever do. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Mud!
Ya, I think you are right on that. Don’t really see benefit. Even though the tires are significantly more $, Not more than new wheels, cheaper tires.

You can use the "multi-quote" feature to put all your responses into one post.

Careful with tire sizes. You might end of ordering a tire much bigger than you wanted.

285/75R16= 33" diameter
285/75R17= 34"
285/75R18= 35"
285/75R19= 36"

17" wheels would be a good choice for cheap tires. 285/70R17 is the stock Rubicon size and almost new "take-offs" are plentiful. Plus they come in a Load C range which is more appropriate for most folks.

17" was indeed the "standard" wheel size but 99% came with the optional 18's.

Ya, I don’t know. Have original factory invoice and it shows 18” wheel upgrade for $350.
Correction, it was an $80 upgrade. $350 was something else. Oh and the rear entertainment system was $2k! Remote still in original packaging.

You can use the "multi-quote" feature to put all your responses into one post.

Careful with tire sizes. You might end of ordering a tire much bigger than you wanted.

285/75R16= 33" diameter
285/75R17= 34"
285/75R18= 35"
285/75R19= 36"

17" wheels would be a good choice for cheap tires. 285/70R17 is the stock Rubicon size and almost new "take-offs" are plentiful. Plus they come in a Load C range which is more appropriate for most folks.

17" was indeed the "standard" wheel size but 99% came with the optional 18's.
Thanks, I was not paying attention. The 275-70R18 is the right size. 🙏

16/trailer: no idea.

I agree w/r 17". 16 is becoming the new 15...future obsolete due to increased brake callibers of new vehicle. Not sure when though.

Course when they become obsolete, gas will be obsolete so we are screwed every which way.

Hi neighbor, welcome to MUD. I am just down the road from you.
Very nice looking Cruiser and nice mileage, that's what mine had when I bought it in 2008.
I started my build in 2008 and I am still making changes.
The wives of my Cruiser friends say I am a bad influence, so you may not want to meet up. 😁
I have 295/75R16 KO2 tires on mine as it came with 16" rims. Takes a lot of sidewall height to get the tire to spread on range E tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom