PS Pump options (New Aftermarket, OEM Rebuilt, or rebuild my old one) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just rebuilt my ps pump after it had been leaking and moaning. I used Wits end gear holder, a vice and and impact which made it very easy to loosen the gear nut. I used a clamshell puller to pull of the gear. I rebuilt it and put it back together. When I put it back in I heard a low hammering sound. I ordered a new gear from Toyota and replaced it by using Wits end gear holder, vice, torque wrench. That got rid of the sound, it is nice and quiet now and no leaks (for now). No visible damage whatsoever on the original gear and I was extra careful so no idea there. If you have the patience to rebuild it, it’s not that bad. For me it was not only about saving money but the learning process. Harbor freight has the calmshell puller for $50 right which I highly recommend and is now part of my tool set. A new pump of course guarantees you won’t have problems too soon down the road.

Oh, also when removing the banjo bolt I used a 15/16 open wrench (NOT a 13/16) on the nut beneath it, and a 22 mm socket (wobbly) with a couple of extension and an impact gun to loosen it. From underneath I held the wrench, and from above my wifey just pulled the trigger on the impact. That broke loose the banjo bolt and left the nut in tact.

Pump gear shouldn't be at risk for damage (if original) and properly removed. Most often...it gets damaged when removing the nut (folks like to put it in a vise or grab it with pliers which damages the teeth). An impact will remove the nut handily using nothing but a pair of gloves to hold the gear. It is only torqued to 54 ft. lbs...though the 'break away' torque is more.....it still comes off easily.

Then use a puller to remove the gear.

View attachment 2668251

Torque to 54 ft. lbs when reinstalling the gear.

View attachment 2668249
Hey flintknapper, did you use a gloved hand to torque back on? Without a vice there was no way I could grab it to tighten to spec.

Thanks for this info!

Is the Gates kit of similar quality to Toyota OEM? I don't have a problem with using their HP hose for this, so I'm assuming I'll be ok with this kit as well.

All I can tell you is that mine has been fine. It's literally just O-rings/seals.

Gates has a reputation for making good products. I'm confident they can make decent seals. That is what I went with.

Hey flintknapper, did you use a gloved hand to torque back on? Without a vice there was no way I could grab it to tighten to spec.
This is how I did mine...I tried to torque to 54ft lbs but just couldn't quite get there, so I just used my HF 3/8's 20V impact driver and called it good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom