Builds 1994 Triple Locked Island Cruiser Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do agree! I went pretty crazy on my Tacoma... so I’m pretty aware on the cost. We’ll see how it goes with the LC. Not going to go too crazy to start. Later on I may do more things.

Do agree! I went pretty crazy on my Tacoma... so I’m pretty aware on the cost. We’ll see how it goes with the LC. Not going to go too crazy to start. Later on I may do more things.
Hello from the East Side!
Recently did a OME install with caster correction bushings. Let me know if you need help, tools or both with your upcoming install 🤙🏾

40DE3FCF-9F45-455E-BCB8-AC0E8BFBE616.jpeg

. This site has excellent resources. Great vendors our only disadvantage in Hawaii is cost for shipping parts and mods. Not to mention fuel, food, housing and everything else 😋. Good luck on your build. Its my hobby and outlet especially when the surf is flat.

Hello from the East Side!
Recently did a OME install with caster correction bushings. Let me know if you need help, tools or both with your upcoming install 🤙🏾

View attachment 2668447

Nice Rig! Going to be having the guys at MJMotorsports put it in.

Quick update. Got my first CEL. It first came on after doing the shake down run. Now noticed its been getting more frequent. The light just comes on and goes away just while driving around. No actual symptoms though runs just fine with no cutouts hesitations etc. Checked the codes 26 and 41 (running too rich and TPS sensor) so going to get it checked out on tuesday. Going to have them just take a good look at the rest of it as well while its there. This week i did also have the underside of the truck cleaned and sprayed with fluid film. After a lot of youtube, it seemed like the best protection. Will be doing it once a year, possibly more. Lift still hasnt left Exit Off Road yet.. I did get around to opening up my Slee bumpstop drops. They do look like quite quality pieces.

9C21A7C1-D067-4752-8175-FFD32472388B.jpeg

Otherwise, Im still trying to figure out what wheels to get. Ive been throwing around the idea of buying some used stocks and refinishing them in dark bronze. Someone is selling them locally for a pretty good price.

Last edited:
4A579838-454F-45C0-9C51-EF4512FF6D78.jpeg

All my dobinsons parts have come in today. Looks like I forgot to order the extended brake lines. But more than likely looking at installing in June anyway. Tomorrow’s appointment to figure out the check engine will determine when it goes in.

The stock wheels are stout and look right for the vintage, I don’t think you can go wrong with them. that being said what’s wrong with the wheels you have?

The stock wheels are stout and look right for the vintage, I don’t think you can go wrong with them. that being said what’s wrong with the wheels you have?
Just not a fan of the look. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Summit Dakar’s in bronze at this point. Refinishing it will get me too close to the price of just buying new. Secondly I was originally thinking of doing a 16” wheel with 315/75r16 for the big side wall. But going to go for a 17 to leave the door open to 37s one day.

Last edited:
All parts are here. Thanks to @crikeymike and exit off road for all the parts. Was great working with them and helping me piece together the kit. All the dobinsons parts look like great quality. Install day is June 5. Finding a shop to do the caster correction bushings was a challenge but managed to find someone. Anyhow here’s some pictures.

4E9949C2-5D02-45A6-877F-349F4C603DA3.jpeg

A12302CB-5EA8-4293-AFA0-DEF0C79071F1.jpeg

9414C689-CF98-44FB-8E35-15F697933DA1.jpeg

DBF67A41-DCA7-4E63-8978-551700D5D732.jpeg

045EEB48-E12E-4307-94C1-A210455D9731.jpeg

50A83D86-2AD3-4A0F-BE40-B9E43B012A9F.jpeg

B9F0FFB8-818B-425C-95B6-69AAC6832B8D.jpeg

09C0FF29-5E82-44F2-AC59-51636A27168F.jpeg

7A228AAB-1B33-4562-9714-1EBA60FDE569.jpeg

What did the shop say about your CEL?
They couldn’t really find anything. They cleared the codes then couldn’t reproduce them. They suggested doing a fuel/induction system clean so they did. I had some CELs pop up after doing it but none over the last two days.

They couldn’t really find anything. They cleared the codes then couldn’t reproduce them. They suggested doing a fuel/induction system clean so they did. I had some CELs pop up after doing it but none over the last two days.
Nice. I have a terribly running ‘94 with the occasional code 26 and 25. I’m always looking for other peoples experience haha

Nice. I have a terribly running ‘94 with the occasional code 26 and 25. I’m always looking for other peoples experience haha
O2 sensors.
@chex808 what shop did you find to help you out with those bushings?

O2 sensors.
Sykes automotive. I actually ordered the press tool from Slee. So I guess if anyone in Hawaii needs it again. Just let me know and I have the tool.

O2 sensors.
Yeah I’ve changed those and they ohm out just fine as well. I’ve been through the wiring for them and it was intact with no shorts. Relocated to the PAIR ports too. It’s been a real struggle, I haven’t turned a wrench in a few months because of schedule and I get so frustrated with no progress. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah I’ve changed those and they ohm out just fine as well. I’ve been through the wiring for them and it was intact with no shorts. Relocated to the PAIR ports too. It’s been a real struggle, I haven’t turned a wrench in a few months because of schedule and I get so frustrated with no progress. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bummer man. I don’t want to clog up Chex’s thread but I certainly hope you get it sorted. I understand the frustration for sure.

.. This week i did also have the underside of the truck cleaned and sprayed with fluid film. After a lot of youtube, it seemed like the best protection. Will be doing it once a year, possibly more.

Otherwise, Im still trying to figure out what wheels to get. Ive been throwing around the idea of buying some used stocks and refinishing them in dark bronze...
You don't need to fluid film in Hawaii, unless perhaps you're driving on beaches. I've had a '90 4Runner for 19 years on rainy side of Big Island and the frame is still rust free without any attention other than being parked in a carport.
My vote is for stock wheels, not painted. :)

I have a 94 as will, when I first got it I would worry when the CEL light would come on, but like you stated it never hurt performance.
Now If it's running good I just ignore it. If it stays on to long I pull the battery cable to reset it, when it's time for my biennial smog check I have it look at then. 🤷‍♂️

Also you really need to find a shop that is Familiar with these old Land Cruisers. The first thing my Guy said is don't clear the codes if you want me to fix it.

Last edited:
All parts are here. Thanks to @crikeymike and exit off road for all the parts. Was great working with them and helping me piece together the kit. All the dobinsons parts look like great quality. Install day is June 5. Finding a shop to do the caster correction bushings was a challenge but managed to find someone. Anyhow here’s some pictures.

View attachment 2685608

View attachment 2685609

View attachment 2685610

View attachment 2685611

View attachment 2685612

View attachment 2685614

View attachment 2685616

View attachment 2685617

View attachment 2685618
Looks like you went all out, adjustable upper and lower rear control arm and the hole bit. I see you ordered the 2.5" lift from Dobinson. I'm running the same front springs C97-146VTs, I really like these springs they ride really nice and are very flexi, I think you well like them.
Do your self a favor do some research on Caster correction bushing ( they SUCK) 1) If you look at the stock bushing the mounting hole is centered, with the CCB the mounting holes are off set so one side of the bushings have no cushion or give and there made of polyurethane ( much harder the rubber) = harsh ride.
2) Even if you only get 2.5" of lift for your spring the Caster correction bushing are likely not going to give you sufficient correction.
3) Across the board People have reported more lift then advertised from the Dobi Springs including me, I'm getting 3.5" of lift from my C97-146VT even with a heavy duty front bumper with a 10k winch and a 78LB. grope 31 battery. Your likely to see 4" of lift from those spring with your setup.
For the best setup go with Delta VS arms, If that's too spendy go with the Land Tank caster correction plates and replace all 6 bushing in the front control arms.
I can all most guarantee you will back in there changing it up if you go with the CCB. Just my 2 cents been there and done that

PS my CCB actually spun around in there holes ( not good ) I do like to wheel Ha ha
1622208778714.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom