Epic FJ43 TCase explosion. Good time to upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Birfs need attention too, and left right spring sags. Have new springs coming so wasn't really concerned about it, but looks like the bushings may have been smoked and they used washers to shim the hangars
20210507_174703.jpg
20210507_174648.jpg
20210507_174825.jpg
20210507_174833.jpg
20210507_174800.jpg

Thanks for the replies, guys. Been out of pocket for a couple days.

mounts on the bellhousing? what shape are they in? ... pics below

how long have you owned it? Was delivered a few weeks ago.
who did you get it from? Bought it from a guy in Miami who lives part of the year in Columbia. Did a rough inspection via zoom
how was it represented? Was represented as a partial resto in great shape. The guy has been very helpful. He took it to his upholstery shop and had the interior changed to black for me...color was the ugly bright peach when it came over. He said he drove it for a few hundred miles and didn't have any issues. replaced the alt and changed fluids when it got here. Said a reputable shop in SA worked on it. Obviously we have different definitions of reputable.

Here are some addl pics. Title says '71, not sure if a body swap was done

it's not a 71, and you dont weld things on to the springs or zip tie hard brake lines to the frame.

-Those u-bolts sure stick down far
-The steering knuckle hardware appears to be mismatched
-You have 75 and later doors, and I presume the vent windows are a SA thing.
-Aren't those anti-inversion shackles upside-down?

sorry can't help much on the t-case, but good luck.

Going to fix the ghetto fab-ness, and springs are getting tossed soon so yeah the upside down shackles will be installed correctly when that happens.
Here's the motor S/N. does that tell me what year it is?
20210507_175047.jpg
20210507_175117.jpg

not sure what all that nonsense is about.....but, ifff that 318024 is the engine number, that's a big iff because the engine id is stamped ahead of the serial number....ie FXXXXX or 2FXXXXXX, and also more centered on the block.....it would be a late 78 or early 79 block....the 79 block goes with the 79+ tub.

Since we’re spending your money…If/when you convert to front disk brakes, you’d be re-doing the knuckles anyhow.

the driver side bellhousing mount is wrong, it should be flat off the bellhousing to the top of the frame

the bellhousing cover is unique

the title says 71? does the frame # match what is on the title?

SA fiberglass 1 piece hardtop, does it have 1 big door in the rear?

Is that an oil filter facing down in front of the exhaust pipe? Thought they were all on the other side and facing up. But I just know 1974 and newer…

*Sigh* another south american hackjob

Has ambulance doors.Have to check the frame #. I'll get it squared away. should make a nice FJ43

Yeah someone remote mounted the oil filter at some point. Frame number and body match
20210508_172418.jpg
20210508_172542.jpg
20210508_172643.jpg

WOW that is some kind work from SA

reminds me of a Johny Cash tune...........1 piece at a time

Is that a CHEVY Straight-6 ??

The head and valve cover look to be Toyota but that fuel/oil filter and sending unit kinda freak me out.

Yeah someone remote mounted the oil filter at some point. Frame number and body matchView attachment 2668960View attachment 2668962View attachment 2668966

It was nice they transfer the VIN plaque to the new body. 71 were held on with sheet metal screws. US market our VIN plaque under the hood was mounted to the passenger fender. But all ours had a heater with a blower mounted to the fire wall around where the plaque would go. 3/69 US did have a second VIN plaque on the A pillar with two rivets but believe the rivets as well as that plaque were required by DOT here. Outside of North America do not remember the second plaque and not even sure if Canada had one.

Well, if it really is a 71, then that would explain the 1F engine and the ID plate that says "F" and gives the specs for a 1F engine. The bellhousing on back are later 2F parts for the 4 speed. The valve cover at least is the 2F variety as is the manifolds. Hope it don't have a 2F head on it, may not be getting oil to the top end. Carb and aircleaner are general market 2F stuff, looks like the side cover on the passenger side must have been swapped too, PCV line heads off in the wrong direction. Does it have a plug or anything near the fuel pump, low on the block, I think 71 F engines still had the oil fill tube into the oil pan rather than on the valve cover.

Engine number stamping was ground off and replaced with a number from the rebuilder I bet.

Whole lot of other later year parts under the hood. Is the battery bolted to a plate directly on the frame? Would have sat higher on a bracket if original.

And get rid of that plastic fuel filter, that is laying over the top of a nearly redhot exhaust runner from #1 cylinder under the aircleaner bracket. Good way to either melt, or fall apart and dump alot of gas in a bad place. Put it on the line from the tank to the fuel pump behind the battery. No need for it there.

Found 3 inline plastic fuel filters on the fuel line. Why replace when you can just add another one. I mean that's got to be better right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom