FJ60 Kaori Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys, the bug finally bit and bit hard....

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Joey, and I'm a helicopter pilot currently living in San Diego (originally from Arizona). I've built a couple vehicles previously, but it has been a few years, and it's time that I get started on a new project. I'm no stranger to working on cars, but this is the first Land Cruiser I've ever had. I've been eyeing cruisers for a couple years now, and five months ago I ended up with an Isuzu 4BD2T engine just looking for a good home. Well, now I've found it. After scouring Facebook and Craigslist for ages, I finally came across a truck for the right price, and in the right location.

Meet Kaori. She's an '84 FJ60 that needs some attention. She's lived her whole life in southern California, but has been sitting for a long time, and as such is a little...rough around the edges. Before I detail what my plans are for this build, I'll start off with a couple lists of her current state:

The Good:
- Complete, original condition FJ60 (only missing a couple small parts).
- SOLID frame
- straight body
- complete interior
- original engine, transmission, and drivetrain

IMG_0575.png

The Bad:
- Doesn't currently run
- Interior needs some DEEP cleaning (will eventually get replaced). 15 years of sitting in one location makes a great home for some rats...

IMG_0578.jpg

The Ugly:
- Rust. Along the rooftop. Original owner covered it with a tarp that trapped water under it, and naturally it rusted out in several places along the drip rail.

IMG_0594.JPG

So what am I planning on doing?

Well first things first, I'm going to get her running again. Even though an eventual engine swap is coming, it's a lot easier to move a car that moves itself, rather than one you have to push. After that, cleaning the interior so that it's drivable at least, then....on to tackling the rust and body work.

The long term plan is to do a frame off restoration and engine swap, but that will have to wait until I have a place that I can leave it in a torn down state for a period of time (i.e once I finally buy a house...which is a whole other story).

Expect more updates and videos along the way, but for now, here is a video of me picking her up. I realized when I got in to editing that it was mostly me talking, and very little footage of actually moving the truck, but It's a decent introduction.

Trying to figure out an idle issue with the truck. I hardwired the idle solenoid open, but it just won't idle. Runs if I'm pumping the accelerator pump, but won't idle. Tried adjusting the idle screw and the mixture screw, but nothing. It's a brand new chinese import carb. Anyone have any ideas?

Trying to figure out an idle issue with the truck. I hardwired the idle solenoid open, but it just won't idle. Runs if I'm pumping the accelerator pump, but won't idle. Tried adjusting the idle screw and the mixture screw, but nothing. It's a brand new chinese import carb. Anyone have any ideas?
Vacuum leak

those carbs are pretty much bolt on and walk away

On a smogged 2F w/ stock carb, the ICS will not function if the "engine" fuse (15A, in the main fuse panel) is blown. I'm not sure how this changes with a hardwired ICS, but it's easy to check. Mine was blown sometime between pulling my carb off and putting it back on recently and the no-idle condition was the symptom.

I wonder if it could be an ignition problem? I doubt it since it starts fine, but I also don't know what is causing the problem

Okay, got it to idle. Had to adjust the linkage that’s attached to the diaphragm thing, and now it will idle.

I’m concerned about the oil distribution though. The rocker arms look dry, and while it’s indicating that there is oil pressure, it doesn’t look like the oil is being distributed correctly.

from what I understand, oil should come up through the #4 cam bearing cap? If I take off that cap, I figure I should see fresh oil if the oil pump is operating correctly?

pictures attached for detail:

37BE842C-8B7A-41C6-8285-864C09215B93.jpeg
604E86E5-8DD1-4845-8AF0-A209ADD369E0.jpeg
8AC83D1F-9189-4E89-9983-EE67A8CECABB.jpeg
5946CD69-14EE-47EE-B90A-7881C6A0805C.jpeg

What adhesive remover do y’all use to remove the headliner / carpet insulation adhesive? Not the tar sound deadener, but just the foam.

E44F9B4F-299E-441D-8339-9F3123EDCAD5.jpeg
9935462C-33F0-408B-AA71-C9B60068C2CB.jpeg

So lots of updates to share. I moved last year, sold this land cruiser, bought a different one, and will be creating a new build thread for the other one to keep everything straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom