Ground at bottom of ignition controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone with a 96 97 tell me where the 2 grounds are running to from the bottom of igniter. I just dropped the motor back in and having what I think is a ground problem. The short one runs to inner fender. The long one that heads up towards battery tray attaches where? I've searched here but still unsure. When I turn key to ON position igniter sends spark to coil.
Thankyou

Check engine flashes for 5 seconds then on

Hmmmmmm......When key is turned to 'on' (not start) the check engine light should appear on the dash as a solid light for as long as the key is in that position. The ABS light (and seat belt light if seat belt is not fastened) will appear also (ABS will go out after a few seconds, Seat Belt stays on).

After engine starts, CEL should go off.

Yours is blinking first....then staying on correct?

Yea I tried the snap on scanner that wouldn't link. Then tried a blue driver or what ever you call it. Wouldn't link. I have power to the obd port. But I'm assuming she's not gonna link until started, the battery/engine was out for 3 months.
What I learned today
There's no voltage to fuel pump
Ignition coil harness side voltage 12.00
The starter does crank with jumper

Yea I tried the snap on scanner that wouldn't link. Then tried a blue driver or what ever you call it. Wouldn't link. I have power to the obd port. But I'm assuming she's not gonna link until started, the battery/engine was out for 3 months.
What I learned today
There's no voltage to fuel pump
Ignition coil harness side voltage 12.00
The starter does crank with jumper

Scanner should try to communicate with the key at the 'on' position.

But....this just keeps getting better and better (issues).

Battery has full charge?

ALL ground connections and battery terminals clean and tight?

Do you know if the fusible link has ever been changed?

Just trying to get a good 'starting point' here (secure the basics)

Starter circuit is separate from just about every other system in the vehicle. Don't confuse the issues. It has nothing to do with any OBD nonsense or the ecu.
Fusible links are the very first things to check/replace. You have been told this several times.

New battery, good voltage
Clean terminals
New fusible link before I hooked the battery up. I ordered a neutral saftey switch. Still waiting on that.
The 7.5a charge fuse shows nothing with test light.
The battery clamps are clean and feel solid I'll put new ones on this evening to be sure

New battery, good voltage
Clean terminals
New fusible link before I hooked the battery up. I ordered a neutral saftey switch. Still waiting on that.
The 7.5a charge fuse shows nothing with test light.
The battery clamps are clean and feel solid I'll put new ones on this evening to be sure

OK thanks, the more information we have...the better.

When you say no voltage to fuel pump, was this checked while cranking the engine?

Checked the relay?

Fuel pump harness was checked with key in ON position.
The efi relay in the fender? No I didn't check voltage there. That's a good point tho.
This is the wiring diagram I'm using

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...442806549877/1996+Toyota+Land+Cruiser+EWD.pdf

Is there a better one?
In that diagram there's a 50amp relay between battery and igntition. Is that the same one?

I know this isnt easy over the phone without seeing what's goin on. I def appreciate yalls time and effort tho

Last edited:
Forget what I said about a better one I just realized this diagram is what all of y'all are using. Fuel relay is inside fender.
Efi relay is in r/b2.
Let me ask this; in the connector diagram when a harness plug pin is numbered 1 or 2 etc does that represent point of power?
On no crank issue...The reason I ask is on one of the two pin plugs I broke on transfer case was repaired by some one. Which I think connects to center diff lock if he installed wires backwords could I possibly be stopping flow of voltage to neutral saftey?

I here you. Earlier a buddy of mine turned the key on and off several times quickly The alarm light came on along with the interior alarm. Could this thing be in theft lockout?? Stock alarm. i haven't heard the alarm in years. It's a 40th anniversary. I get that the ignition coil could be unrelated

I here you. Earlier a buddy of mine turned the key on and off several times quickly The alarm light came on along with the interior alarm. Could this thing be in theft lockout?? Stock alarm. i haven't heard the alarm in years. It's a 40th anniversary. I get that the ignition coil could be unrelated

Interesting thought. I would think it possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom