What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added an Apple MagSafe puck to the phone mount and ditched the Ram X-Grip. It’s easier to put my phone in place but hitting the phone with my knee now means the phone is on the floor. Got this installed before the 1,000 mile round trip road trip I took with the family.

View attachment 2659326

View attachment 2659327

Looks really great, is that a ram mount specifically made to hold the mag safe puck or did you rig something up? Finally upgraded to a 12 mini and now I want a mag safe chargers everywhere!

@Superdude

That trimmed bumper looks great!

+1 love it! @Superdude Did you follow any sort of template or just go at it until it looked good?

Thanks guys. Took all of 15 minutes. I do lift installs on Tacomas weekly. Have done a few Viper cuts now.

I used blue painters tape to make my line. Cut both sides evenly. One cut each side.

Edit: I cut outside of this lower bracket. If cut further, it would expose the bumper reinforcement. This bracket holds the bottom of the bumper on as well.
20210503_190900.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced my motor and trans mounts yesterday. I think my motor mounts were long past due... the driver's side was completely separated upon removal! The passenger side and the trans mounts were compressed by a mil or two and were showing signs of separations. This seems to have reduced a fair amount of cabin vibration and drone too.

View attachment 2664461

View attachment 2664462
Ok, I've been putting this one off but now I'm ordering them tomorrow. Anyone know the difference between the two part numbers? 1236150120 and 121? I'm assuming it's just a supersession, but Partsouq has both for like $1 difference.

Thanks guys. Took all of 15 minutes. I do lift installs on Tacomas weekly. Have done a few Viper cuts now.

I used blue painters tape to make my line. Cut both sides evenly. One cut each side.
Any chance you'd be able to fit me in on a Viper cut. Pay for your time of course.

Task 2, find tires. Looking and looking for 285 75 16's, km3, no one has them. Need to put on some used 16 wheels that I have reworked. They were chrome plated.View attachment 2662074
The three tire guys I talked to all said the km3’s are kinda loud. They look rad tho

Replaced rear springs with heavy duty ones, wagon is still 70mm higher than before even loaded up haha

Pulled the burnt out wiper motor, snapped off some of the linkage in the process, will have to replace the whole lot now, all the plastic bushings have gone hard and brittle.

Looks really great, is that a ram mount specifically made to hold the mag safe puck or did you rig something up? Finally upgraded to a 12 mini and now I want a mag safe chargers everywhere!

Yes it is. Well, sort of. The company makes two versions, one with the 1" ball and one made for a different type of mount. I'm cheap and had a spare Ram base mount so I bought the cheaper version and just used two screws to attach it to my existing base. Here's a link to both if you're interested. On the $12 puck mount, the holes do not line up with the holes in the Ram 2 hole diamond shaped base so I had to drill a new hole. Not a big deal as I'm used to that type of stuff and I expected it.

This week was:
  • Plastidip the old/ sun blistered faux chrome license plate surround and the front grille. Not sure on the color, but the great thing about plastidip is I can just shoot some other color over it. This took one rattlecan, and is better than it was. So... good for now. A little bit of experimenting/ practice for probably the whole truck after I sand down the peeling/ failed clear on the hood and roof, bang out/ level a few little dents and creases, and otherwise spend a weekend sprucing. The "L" didn't hold around the edge when I peeled, so, upside, we've tested the peeling and yeah, it comes off, and downside, still have a shiny L back there. I may debadge entirely since I'll have the bondo out for a couple little creases elsewhere anyway, and I think the L has a couple holes for pins behind it.
  • Greased the rear driveshaft some; I'd guess a third of a tube's worth. Clunk is lessened maybe but not gone - I think it still needs more in there, and I need to find all the other zerks and give them some love too. Have heard the cautions, and am proceeding carefully... but I'm pretty confident it was likely entirely dry up in there. So, there's that adventure.
  • Calculated my gas mileage... abysmal, lol. At least I'm in the double digits (12.2mpg!), but... wow. Coming from a 4cyl Hyundai sedan it's shocking how much fuel Larry wants. Oh well. Pay to play I guess.
    IMG-0690.jpg
    IMG-0691.jpg

Just did a mod for my trail radio, used a piece of hardwood cut to fit snugly in tape deck. Magnetic mount for the hand mic.
13FED2C8-1F79-422F-AD37-8F2CA90288EB.jpeg
BA595571-526F-47E9-A262-0A1378615ADA.jpeg

Put the new IM suspension through it's paces this weekend and was very impressed. Took the kids to Big Bend and did most of the back country routes...

IMG_20210430_161115.jpg

IMG_20210430_191424.jpg

IMG_20210501_171747.jpg

IMG_20210502_070920.jpg

IMG_20210502_083133.jpg

@TRAIL TAILOR sliders arrived.
IMG_3279.jpg

I wish I would have gotten them sooner.
I believe it would have blocked the stump that took a bite out of the driver side.
IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3281.jpg

Hello Folks. First post.

I am located in Collin county, Texas area. I purchased my first Vehicle of this type last weekend from a guy down in South Louisiana and towed it back home to North Texas. I am glad that I told it and did not try to drive it, after I have gotten at home.

Let’s say that I may have made a bad purchase. I wind up taking people at their word instead of going over it with a fine tooth comb, as I know to do. Oh well…

I took it to my local Toyota dealership where they have a resident expert on the 100s and he gave her a complete look over. The Toyota dealership gave me a quote of almost $14,000 to fix everything they said needed to be fixed. (someone told me that Toyotas were cheap to fix! LOL)
after I brought it back home from the dealership, I started going over myself and I’m now in the process of discovering issues.

I decided to change the spark plugs this afternoon with the Denso iridium SK20R11’s.
The driver side bank of spark plugs required a bit of acrobatics, but I finish them off without much difficulty. The second side looked like it was going to be much easier.

While pulling the plugs, I quickly noticed that three of the four were covered in oil. It looks like a valve gasket replacemrntis in order next. 🤨

Question is, is there anything else I need to address while I have the valve cover off at the same time?

The list of items that I have to address include:
New timing belt… This vehicle has 209,000 miles on it
New brakes and rotors
Heater T’s and hoses
Rear main seal
New rubber hoses throughout the engine
drain and replace fluids with correct fluids
Change out the battery to the right size cranking amps
Put on new tires, as the new tires the gentleman put on them were the cheapest brand I think I had ever seen… I had no idea there was even such a brand. Savero SUV tires. 🤨😔View attachment 2664176sView attachment 2664179

good thing I bought this as a project for my son and I to work on.

anyway, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself along with my vehicle.

View attachment 2664182

View attachment 2664185

View attachment 2664191
My son's 4Runner had Savero tires on it when we bought it. Worst tires I've ever driven. First snow I couldn't make the car go where I wanted, even in 4WD.

Got this today from Battle Born Off road (local Vegas shop) still thinking where to put it without drilling a hole on any of the plastic pieces of the interior.
20AAFA88-581B-40A7-A648-5D9C05577237.jpeg

Quick edit; 30mins after, found a good spot:
DA91B6BA-853B-49AF-A663-EC5D24CA19E9.jpeg

Last edited:
This week was:
  • Plastidip the old/ sun blistered faux chrome license plate surround and the front grille. Not sure on the color, but the great thing about plastidip is I can just shoot some other color over it. This took one rattlecan, and is better than it was. So... good for now. A little bit of experimenting/ practice for probably the whole truck after I sand down the peeling/ failed clear on the hood and roof, bang out/ level a few little dents and creases, and otherwise spend a weekend sprucing. The "L" didn't hold around the edge when I peeled, so, upside, we've tested the peeling and yeah, it comes off, and downside, still have a shiny L back there. I may debadge entirely since I'll have the bondo out for a couple little creases elsewhere anyway, and I think the L has a couple holes for pins behind it.
  • Greased the rear driveshaft some; I'd guess a third of a tube's worth. Clunk is lessened maybe but not gone - I think it still needs more in there, and I need to find all the other zerks and give them some love too. Have heard the cautions, and am proceeding carefully... but I'm pretty confident it was likely entirely dry up in there. So, there's that adventure.
  • Calculated my gas mileage... abysmal, lol. At least I'm in the double digits (12.2mpg!), but... wow. Coming from a 4cyl Hyundai sedan it's shocking how much fuel Larry wants. Oh well. Pay to play I guess.View attachment 2664868View attachment 2664869

What color Plastidip? I can't tell if your truck is Riverrock Green, Smokey Topaz, or something else. But I think it all looks good. Very similar combo on mine.

Put on a couple of missing covers on the under skid plates. Used my new axel puller from a fellow mudder to put on some new thicker snap rings on both sides. Went from E to D sizes (I think that's what it was). Zero gap between snap ring and axel stub on both sides, nice. When I first repacked the front bearings about 6 months ago I fought them and finally put the old snap rings back on. New tool made it so much easier! Repacked the passenger side, replaced the oil seal on the inside of the hub, the oil seal that attaches to the dust cover and the gasket between the two, and rotated the tires. I'd been hearing a clunking in the front, and it was a loose bolt on the sway bar end link that attaches link to the LCA - clunking gone!

1620191288106.jpeg

Got this today from Battle Born Off road (local Vegas shop) still thinking where to put it without drilling a hole on any of the plastic pieces of the interior.
View attachment 2665424
Quick edit; 30mins after, found a good spot:
View attachment 2665586
Mine sits in the driverside door pocket - easy to access and can be transfered to a different car if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom