October 74 carb rebuild question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AKPoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all, first post, but have been consuming mud for a while.
Started rebuilding my stock two barrel of my 1974 fj40 when started spitting fuel (I think out of the rubber boot accelerator pump), and would sputter but not run.
Purchased a rebuild kit, tore down, and realized I needed to replace more parts then supplied. The parts needed are a retainer clip / ring that holds one of check balls under accelerator pump that was corroded. I also am looking to find the little fuel filter on the inlet to the carb from tank and canister fuel filter. Pictures below.

History:
Drove by this 40 for a couple years, and watched it sit, snow plowed up on her in the winter, door left open in the summer. One day I saw the owner outside and asked if it was for sale? He hesitated and took my #. Two weeks later he called and gave me a price that was more than fair. Have owned her for about 9 months now, and drove about 1mile total so far.

Total basket case. He had no history. Once home (on a trailer), looked her over, turned her over by hand, saw the obvious, no distributor, water pump seized, radiator leaked, fuel lines rotted..... Fixed the obvious and had it fired up within a week. Drove around the block (without brakes) with the biggest smile I have ever smiled! Pulled back in the garage to fix breaks. The breaks turned into knuckles, differentials, seals, slave cylinders, master, most lines, and brakes..... Oh ya new rubber! Any of this sound familiar?
Now “breaks”are done, and went to start again, and this is when I learned I needed to rebuild the carb.
I’m sure there’s more, but that’s the short of it.
Any help tracking parts down, or ideas would be great! I found and ordered the retainer clip, but haven’t got my hands on it yet. The screened filter for sure needed. Then I can drive her again to figure out what else needs attention!😉

D5E3A007-A6B6-4D3B-82FF-1EB989A03724.jpeg

FBA08EB8-A296-478B-AEA4-BF0FA2425E91.jpeg

The carb isn't that hard to rebuild, but there are some kits that are better than others—I used a Keyster kit from @cruiseroutfit. I rebuilt mine in a few hours, being pretty meticulous about cleaning everything and being very organized with the parts. There are a couple tricky measurements, but like everything else on a '74, it's about as simple as you're likely to see anymore. I ended up needing to use the original accelerator pump, as the one in the kit didn't fit great, but it's pretty easy.

These videos by @Pin_Head are the gold standard. Here is the first one.

The carb isn't that hard to rebuild, but there are some kits that are better than others—I used a Keyster kit from @cruiseroutfit. I rebuilt mine in a few hours, being pretty meticulous about cleaning everything and being very organized with the parts. There are a couple tricky measurements, but like everything else on a '74, it's about as simple as you're likely to see anymore. I ended up needing to use the original accelerator pump, as the one in the kit didn't fit great, but it's pretty easy.

These videos by @Pin_Head are the gold standard. Here is the first one.

Thanks for the reply C6H1206, but rebuilding it isn’t the problem, it’s that the Keyster kit from cruiser outfitters that I purchased does not come with these replacements in it that I need. The filter is blown out, and the snap ring is corroded to the point of no return. Did watch Pin heads videos, and was very helpful though.

Gotcha. I missed that part of the original post. I'm guessing you don't want to send the carb off to one of the Aisin carb gurus (@FJ40Jim or @65swb45). They're pretty likely to have those parts, and you could have the base ported for vacuum advance while they have it.

Welcome to Mud.

Anyone know if a '75 Aisan will be an appropriate organ donor?
Gotcha. I missed that part of the original post. I'm guessing you don't want to send the carb off to one of the Aisin carb gurus (@FJ40Jim or @65swb45). They're pretty likely to have those parts, and you could have the base ported for vacuum advance while they have it.
Here are the part #’s for the needed parts.
Carb strainer- 21206
Accelerator pump clip- 21538
Anyone have suggestions for parts. I’ve exhausted Google, and thought one of you 40 lovers would know.
Thanks!

The strainer is 21294-10010. It is long discontinued. Carefully straighten out the one that is there and reuse it.

AP clip is 21294-10010. Still available from Mr.T for a couple dollars.

The strainer is 21294-10010. It is long discontinued. Carefully straighten out the one that is there and reuse it.

Thks Fj40jim, strainer is blown out, and not usable, and ordered the clip on line, but have not seen it yet. May try to make a strainer for now. Who is mr. t? Thanks again!

Thanks @FJ40Jim! As stated previously, strainer is blown out at the seams. Since you are one of the Carb. rebuild guru's, any ideas for non stock, or home made strainer applications?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom