Can I pull the AC compressor on a 1998 LX 470 without removing the axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone removed and conversely re-stalled an AC compressor without removing the axle? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'll adjust projects if I have to, but I would prefer to do my CV's and Axles in the fall. Wanted to get the AC going before summer.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Matter O Fact...can anyone please provide a link, or write to replacing the ac compressor for us?

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. Matter O Fact...can anyone please provide a link, or write to replacing the ac compressor for us?
This guy is an inspiration! I say this with ALL RESPECT so please no one take any disrespect - but if these guys can do it in Pakistan, in a parking lot under a tree... then I guess I really have no excuses. Though I'm pretty sure you shouldn't exhaust your system into the atmosphere... pretty sure that's bad.

See the Pakistan Car Doctor Remove an AC compressor on an LX 470

Last edited:
There are 2 bolts that are kind of a bear. One is only a bear because you have to loosen the fan bracket to get it out. The other is underneath the exhaust manifold. Some people get it from the top but i found it was easier with a flex head ratchet to get it from the bottom.

Has anyone removed and conversely re-stalled an AC compressor without removing the axle?
Yes, of course. As @waitdontshoot noted, only a couple of bolts are tricky to get to, but if you’ve done a timing belt job then you know where they are and what tools you need to get them out. It’s easiest from underneath with the front skid plate removed. Removing the oil filter gives you some more room, too.

Yes, of course. As @waitdontshoot noted, only a couple of bolts are tricky to get to, but if you’ve done a timing belt job then you know where they are and what tools you need to get them out. It’s easiest from underneath with the front skid plate removed. Removing the oil filter gives you some more room, too.
Timmy The Toolman just did mine and shot a video for his YouTube channel.

Pull it straight up out of the engine.

Remember to replace the dryer too if you're exposing the system to air 👍

And/or at minimum have a shop evacuate the system and hold it under vacuum to boil off as much moisture as possible before filling.

You'll be replacing the compressor again in a year or two if there is any water droplets running through it.

Remember to replace the dryer too if you're exposing the system to air 👍

And/or at minimum have a shop evacuate the system and hold it under vacuum to boil off as much moisture as possible before filling.

You'll be replacing the compressor again in a year or two if there is any water droplets running through it.
Great advice. I never attempted this job on any vehicle so I'm a bit nervous - You recommend taking to a shop instead of buying my own vacuum and gauges? I've heard both opinions - we have another 80 series and a Subaru that needs AC work - thought it might be a good addition to the shop.

Great advice. I never attempted this job on any vehicle so I'm a bit nervous - You recommend taking to a shop instead of buying my own vacuum and gauges? I've heard both opinions - we have another 80 series and a Subaru that needs AC work - thought it might be a good addition to the shop.
Personally, this is one that I bring to a shop. I fix the damaged components, crack the bolts loose for the AC Dryer so I know they aren't sticking, buy a quality dryer, and go to a local shop. They hook up their vacuum, swap the dryer in and hit the vacuum switch and leave it for awhile to boil off any water. Compressors and the fill aren't cheap and I prefer a pro who can do a factory fill including oil by weight.

Disclaimer is I've screwed this up doing it myself a few times and had to replace compressors a year or two late and go to a real shop. So there may be people more successful at this than I am at DIY here.

Last edited:
Personally, this is one that I bring to a shop. I fix the damaged components, crack the bolts loose for the AC Dryer so I know they aren't sticking, buy a quality dryer, and go to a local shop. They hook up their vacuum, swap the dryer in and hit the vacuum switch and leave it for awhile to boil off any water. Compressors and the fill aren't cheap and I prefer a pro who can do a factory fill including oil by weight.
Yeah I was afraid this one might be a bit out of my league - My mechanic quoted about $1200 to do everything (compressor, dryer, charged). He said it was a bit of a process. Perhaps I'll have him evacuate the system. I'll confirm but I think he did that when I had him check it out a couple of months ago. He did the H20 pump and timing belt so I ask him to take a look - He's price on the timing belt and pump were in line with what I see around the forums 1200 and he through in the coolant T's and a coolant flush and fill with the good stuff. So I trust him... he's been taking care of our fleet for awhile. He's an old school JDM fanboy and fierce OEM proponent on anything Toyota. Maybe the best course is to replace the compressor myself (this seems to be a big labor cost) and take it to him to vacuum up and add refrigerant. I was skeptical of my abilities regarding the ac - I know I can pull and replace the compressor - easy cheesy. But the other stuff sounds like it's worth paying for.

Tim has not posted the video yet, but we used this video as a guide.

Thanks I saw this one - actually these guys inspired me lol! Though If you listen closely they are discharging the system into the atmosphere... LOL. I don't think you're suppose to do that! Otherwise good video and the definition of "shade tree mechanic" in any culture.

Thanks I saw this one - actually these guys inspired me lol! Though If you listen closely they are discharging the system into the atmosphere... LOL. I don't think you're suppose to do that! Otherwise good video and the definition of "shade tree mechanic" in any culture.
Dude, it's Pakistan. What can they possibly damage?

Pakistanis are incredibly talented at keeping things on the road and moving, they still have trades/skills/shops to do full tear downs and rebuild component parts at a cost below what they can often import the replacement component for. Truly an enterprising culture and some seriously talented machinists in Pakistan related to the tooling that is available.

Driving across Pakistan would truly be an incredibly opportunity, and also would be...actual overland travel.

I would definitely watch some videos of those guys doing swaps on trail, its insane how good they are at pulling, rebuilding, and getting something working with very limited resources.

Last edited:
Has anyone removed and conversely re-stalled an AC compressor without removing the axle? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'll adjust projects if I have to, but I would prefer to do my CV's and Axles in the fall. Wanted to get the AC going before summer.
Just one bolt is a b#tch. Don’t forget the PAG oil for the compressor (last one I got (ford) came prefilled, but I would make sure. I don’t think my LC compressor was refilled (rebuilt) running fine after 100k. The manual (or google) for amount required.

You might want to replace your condenser and expansion valve- especially if you had compressor failure.

Just one bolt is a b#tch. Don’t forget the PAG oil for the compressor (last one I got (ford) came prefilled, but I would make sure. I don’t think my LC compressor was refilled (rebuilt) running fine after 100k. The manual (or google) for amount required.

You might want to replace your condenser and expansion valve- especially if you had compressor failure.
Do not fear, Timmy The Toolman is here! (And Sean)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom