Any idea what this small locked box is in my '94 FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In Aus the 80 never arrived with a factory alarm, but it was a factory option. They were fitted with a "dealer fitted" alarm which means if you wanted a "factory" alarm you could have one but it was fitted in Aus by the dealer. Whilst it was fitted by the dealer, and spec'd for the car it was fitted to (correct wiring harness etc) it wasn't a Toyota alarm. There were several alarm suppliers over the years so this makes it hard to get parts, and replacement clickers. Mine is dealer fitted (hides behind the glove box) and my clickers have "Toyota" written on it. I can find the same clickers with the OEM's name on them but they don't work with my alarm. It is (was) an Australian made alarm and only fitted to a handful of Toyotas for two years as best I can gather. The 1995 Celica for example has the same system. These are handy since it gains remote central locking which is nice on a 26yr old car.

The problem is the clickers are slowly dying and I have only found a couple of replacements thus far. Wreckers tell me they are sold with the lock sets but naturally they don't work unless you have the right alarm so I assume folks bin them. The sonic part of mine has false alarms when the vehicle is left in the sun which is embarrassing. I'm not sure I can even remove mine because I have tried unplugging it and the engine remains immobilized. Possibly putting it into Valaet mode first might get me around that but surely there has to be some wiring to be done or else any thief could simply unplug the alarm and drive off. As such I remain on tender hooks as I wonder what, if anything can be done if and when this alarm dies properly. The chances of finding any one who knows how to deal with these alarms is slim to nill. If a jumpper plug or similar is required, that information is surely lost. I cannot find anything on it. I may end up with an immobilized engine and be buying a new ECU and lockset to get it running again! That won't be cheap, and I will lose my remote central locking. :( Needless to say in the meantime, the second I leave town I use the key in the door so as to not activate the alarm and potentially get stranded.

Can you post some more info about the unit, and especially pictures of how it's wired in? What's the engine in your 80? I'm sure there's a way to get this alarm yanked. You don't have to stick with it to get remote keyless entry. My 80 didn't even have central locking to start with, it was all manual. I swapped in a full set of powered locks from a higher model, then added one of these for $20:
A bit of wiring in the drivers door will make it work. If you're a bit OCD like I am, you can run an extra wire into the dash to make the indicators flash when locking/unlocking too. I'd go this route personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom