Any idea what this small locked box is in my '94 FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing the nasty K&N air filter with a new OEM this weekend (thanks, @FMC80 ) when I noticed this small locked box on the right side of the engine compartment, basically up against the fender, right behind the air intake. It's about 3 inches square and has an on/off locking switch that is locked in the "off" position. I do not have a key, nor do I have the means to contact the PO about it.

Before I start tracing wires, figured I'd jump on here and see if anyone has any clues. My initial guesses are perhaps part of an alarm system, or maybe a kill switch? It's on the same side of the truck as a small red LED on my dash that does nothing...but those are just guesses.

Any ideas?
IMG_20210417_113728874_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210417_113712361.jpg

Forgot to mention: RHD Aussie import, if that makes a difference.

Aftermarket kill switch or alarm of some sort? I don't recognize that.

Is it plugged into a factory wiring connector?

Like the others, I haven’t the foggiest. But if it’s like mine and many others, there will be extraneous wiring everywhere that probably needs to be inspected, eradicated and/or repaired. I ripped everything foreign out from mine so I can start from a solid baseline.

:popcorn:

It engages the offroad equivalent of 'plaid mode'.
But being old school, you still have to get out and do something first.

I'd reckon the red light wire from the dash ends up in the black, 4-pin connector with only one wire in it. That wire comes from the box, it looks like. That connector does not appear OEM.
The rest tho, the larger harness, does.
Got any unusual/additional fuses/handwriting in the fuse boxes? The box needs power from somewhere.
Or just bust the lock and see what's up.

edit: or can you just disassemble the whole thing?

Maybe it's a secret self destruct switch. I wouldn't mess with it....

Aussie with a RHD 80 here. No idea, never seen it. Could be anything. From what I can see in the pictures, I think that entire harness is aftermarket. Unless it's spliced into the main wiring harness out of shot there, there isn't any wire bundle like that running out of that position on Aussie spec 80. You'll have to get behind the dash and trace it to learn more.

I think the sticker must have fallen off:
1618920494637.png

Be careful buddy!

That looks like a pretty professional installation. In my 80 I had a mysterious box under the passenger seat. Turned out to be an original 'shoebox' type of cell phone base unit. It looked like it would suck juice pretty good. I notice that your mystery box has an 'on' and 'off' position for the key switch. An alarm would be one logical possibility, and a cell box might be another. Perhaps just for fun have a gander under your front seats and see if anything unexpected might be under there.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like I'll be tracing some wires this weekend...the plot thickens!

I think the sticker must have fallen off:
View attachment 2650787
Be careful buddy!

That looks like a pretty professional installation. In my 80 I had a mysterious box under the passenger seat. Turned out to be an original 'shoebox' type of cell phone base unit. It looked like it would suck juice pretty good. I notice that your mystery box has an 'on' and 'off' position for the key switch. An alarm would be one logical possibility, and a cell box might be another. Perhaps just for fun have a gander under your front seats and see if anything unexpected might be under there.
Wonder if I could get the old girl up to 88 mph?!

Good call!

Can't trust them Aussies.
Could be a "release the snakes and spiders" switch
Seeing how that is from Australia, looks like a drop bear release switch.

I thought I had replied back to this thread with an update, but I don't see it. I was on my phone, and a couple beers in, so I blame user error... :beer::confused:

I leaned in to the engine compartment and found a logo on the other side of the box:
IMG_20210424_165422753.jpg

A quick Google search indeed revealed that this is an after-market alarm.

I didn't take the time to pull the dash and trace the wires all the way to the end, but based on where they enter the firewall, it would line up with the ignition switch and the red LED on the dash. There's also a wire that runs from the box to a little spring switch on the dash. I assume this is intended to either trigger the alarm if the hood is popped while it's armed, or maybe disable the alarm when you pop the hood?

IMG_20210424_165814741.jpg

So now I'm wondering if I should attempt to remove the alarm entirely, or leave well enough alone. I've been having some starting issues, and based on other threads I've read, I was pretty confident that it was a starter issue. Even have a Denso reman starter ready to swap in when I have the time. But now I'm wondering if this alarm might be contributing to the starting issue. I've read threads from others stating it can be a problem. I am far from an electrician, so I don't want to cause more problems.

Thoughts?

Yank it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom