Builds El Jefe's FJ60 Build/Puzzle V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@eljefe83 and @RredFJ40 curious are you using an external chevy slave cylinder or? If so, which Master Cylinder GM or Toyota or aftermarket?
I cannot find a clear answer whether the Toyota master cyl has the correct throw for the GM SBC external slave... again mine is 88 square body blazer aluminum bell housing, not 88 1500 IFS Pickup

For my Ranger shifter, I mounted the shift lever to a convenient threaded hole in the side of the Toyota 4spd, then welded a tab a few inches up the lever, to attach a rod end that goes to the Ranger. It's a hard shift because of the (lack of) leverage, and theres some vibration through the shifter, so I may change it at some point, but the geometry isn't bad. I can try and get a pic if anyones interested, but its kinda hidden behind the exhaust.

@eljefe83 and @RredFJ40 curious are you using an external chevy slave cylinder or? If so, which Master Cylinder GM or Toyota or aftermarket?
I cannot find a clear answer whether the Toyota master cyl has the correct throw for the GM SBC external slave... again mine is 88 square body blazer aluminum bell housing, not 88 1500 IFS Pickup
Will have to check when i get back down to the project.

I’m using an old school cast iron Chevy bell housing, fj60 master and an fj55 slave from a 74ish? The fj60 slave didn’t have quite enough throw so I found a similar set up with a smaller bore to add throw. It’s still almost too short but it does work. T/O bearing is riding on the fingers not pulled fully away. I think I might try an internal slave next time it’s apart. @rhah might have another option?

For my Ranger shifter, I mounted the shift lever to a convenient threaded hole in the side of the Toyota 4spd, then welded a tab a few inches up the lever, to attach a rod end that goes to the Ranger. It's a hard shift because of the (lack of) leverage, and theres some vibration through the shifter, so I may change it at some point, but the geometry isn't bad. I can try and get a pic if anyones interested, but its kinda hidden behind the exhaust.
Yeah mine still gets to waving back and forth, I need to change my trans mount and make a more secure connection.

@RredFJ40

cant say I ran into gm trans problems. I rocked the stock 4 speed and used a fancy flywheel and stuck with the stock toyota clutch stuff ( has worked out great so far)

if my member berries are service me correctly
Klaus was doing a LS gm 5 speed swap.
Something about has to be a certain 5 speed with a pass side, external slave cylinder.

@RredFJ40

cant say I ran into gm trans problems. I rocked the stock 4 speed and used a fancy flywheel and stuck with the stock toyota clutch stuff ( has worked out great so far)

if my member berries are service me correctly
Klaus was doing a LS gm 5 speed swap.
Something about has to be a certain 5 speed with a pass side, external slave cylinder.
There are a few factory bellhousing used with the NV4500 (not to be confused with the lighter duty NV3500 and getrag 290 5 speeds used in S-10, 1500 and earlier 2500 trucks).
The early external slave version:
20210331_193547.jpg

This one will cause issues with driveshaft clearance on account of the slave cylinder location.

Later they used internal slave cylinders, which I'm personally not a huge fan of. I don't have a photo but I think a guy might make one work.

Advance adapters also has an NV4500 bellhousing to use an external slave, I used that in my FJ40. It works fine, but is not exactly optimal. The slave cylinder doesn't have much clearance to the frame and would be trickier with a v8 (my FJ40 has a 4 cylinder). There was also some screwing around with a mix match of parts to get the clutch/throwout stackup correct. Apparently this can be averted by dropping another grand on AA clutch componenets.... Quite a few people have done it however.

What I'm going to use in my FJ62 for the LS swap is this:
Chevy-LS-to-NV4500-white.jpeg

This is a relativey recent release from Quickdraw. The slave cylinder (a stock Jeep unit) mounts tight right next to the trans in the hole shown midway up the left side. It also uses the factory clutch components for a factory 6.0/NV4500 truck. These are readily available from LUK, Sachs, etc for good prices on Rockauto and elsewhere. The bellhousing is made for the LS as well. Of course you can use a regular small block bell for an LS, but there are a few differences that make this a better design and superior option IMHO.

There are a few factory bellhousing used with the NV4500 (not to be confused with the lighter duty NV3500 and getrag 290 5 speeds used in S-10, 1500 and earlier 2500 trucks).
The early external slave version:
View attachment 2654460
This one will cause issues with driveshaft clearance on account of the slave cylinder location.

Later they used internal slave cylinders, which I'm personally not a huge fan of. I don't have a photo but I think a guy might make one work.

Advance adapters also has an NV4500 bellhousing to use an external slave, I used that in my FJ40. It works fine, but is not exactly optimal. The slave cylinder doesn't have much clearance to the frame and would be trickier with a v8 (my FJ40 has a 4 cylinder). There was also some screwing around with a mix match of parts to get the clutch/throwout stackup correct. Apparently this can be averted by dropping another grand on AA clutch componenets.... Quite a few people have done it however.

What I'm going to use in my FJ62 for the LS swap is this:
View attachment 2654463
This is a relativey recent release from Quickdraw. The slave cylinder (a stock Jeep unit) mounts tight right next to the trans in the hole shown midway up the left side. It also uses the factory clutch components for a factory 6.0/NV4500 truck. These are readily available from LUK, Sachs, etc for good prices on Rockauto and elsewhere. The bellhousing is made for the LS as well. Of course you can use a regular small block bell for an LS, but there are a few differences that make this a better design and superior option IMHO.
Yes, I’m using a standard 6.0 LQ4 flywheel and clutch. I did order a couple of different throw out bearings to find the right dimension. Novak’s adapters had a good bearing part number page with dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom