1st Gen OME Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone... another question. I'm thinking about the light/medium OME kit over at cruiser outfitters for the 86 runner. Can anyone with this provide some type of measurement upon completion. Anything I can check against on my truck... A hub to fender, top of 15 inch rim to fender... just something. Or can you direct me somewhere that has some stats. I searched around but can find any measurements... I'm probably just missing the right thread. Thanks!

I don't have a measurement, but the medium (light + d5xl) rear was super tall. I had to crank the OME torsions a lot to level the front.
I run unloaded 95% of the time and taking the d5xl & overload out made the rear way more compliant, a reasonable height (for 31s), & unload the torsion bars.

So what are the other options? I plan on running 30” skinnies. Right now it’s stock up front but a previous owner put an add a leaf in the back and there are crap shocks. The height isn’t bad, I just want to redo the suspension. The more I read about the OME the more I think it’s too high and too stiff.

right now in the rear I am 13 top rim to fender (21 center hub to fender), and front is stock at 13.75

I’m not mad at the height, but the ride is pretty bad. I’d love to just buy a complete kit from cruiser outfitters or something, or make one using rear leafs and bj spacers... but I don’t 4” or lift at all. I would hate that.

I’m not mad at the height, but the ride is pretty bad. I’d love to just buy a complete kit from cruiser outfitters or something, or make one using rear leafs and bj spacers... but I don’t 4” or lift at all. I would hate that.
My truck had probably 5" of lift. Looked great with 33" tires, and worked even better. Got tired of it, and really didn't need that much lift anymore. Times change. Needs change. Bodys age. Trucks evolve. Installed the OME and went back to 32" tires. Fits my NEEDS better. Much happier now.

Last edited:
My truck had probably 5" of lift. Looked great with 33" tires, and worked even better. Got tired of it, and really didn't need that much lift anymore. Times change. Needs change. Body's age. Trucks evolve. Installed the OME and went back to 32" tires. Fits my NEEDS better. Much happier now.
So you like the “medium” OME.... I read so many mixed reviews. Some say super high lift and rough ride, others say it’s great. I’ve had OME on an 80 FZJ and 2011 FJ. Both were wonderful. But I’m afraid of installing the OME springs and bj spacers and being way too high. What do you think? I’m good with 2-3” over stock. Is that what I will get or will I get like 4”! Thanks!

So you like the “medium” OME....
No. I have OME heavy in the front with Skyjacker shocks. Alcan in the rear with OME heavy shocks. It's a bit rough around town, but once I load it up for an adventure, it's fine. As in take a month and drive it from NM to OR, then do the WA Backcountry Discovery Route, the ID-BDR, NV-BDR, then home, fine. I think if I went to a better shock in the front it would ride better around town. Loaded and offroad it's not bad for a leaf-sprung buckboard.

Maybe I’ll just try the OME mediums and bj spacers and see what happens.
Are you talking about OME mediums in the rear, and the spacers in the front? I think that would be a good compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom