Welp, it happened. I blew my front diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ARB will have suggested service installers- you can specify Toyota and they should be able to help narrow in.

But you said “I put on an ARB locker” so you installed it yourself?

ARB will have suggested service installers- you can specify Toyota and they should be able to help narrow in.

But you said “I put on an ARB locker” so you installed it yourself?
no, I had a shop do it and they literally kept my FJ for close to 7 months doing it. I didn't trust them from the word go and they kept having issues with the shims and all kinds of crap. I just want a fresh set of eyes that has done it many times over. ARB was partly at fault, since they shipped a ton of the front lockers without shims for a year and then didn't make them available for months upon months. So they actually ended up sending me a second whole locker with the shims, so I have 2 now...

Ahhha a FJC guy ....well that explains everything. (Just kidding I had one too)

I’d still reach out to ARB for an authorized installer different than the one who installed your first attempt so they can assess their competency as an authorized installer. Also post up an introduction in one of the AZ club forums (like copper state cruisers) and ask for a competent Toyota gear installer. I’d recommend Zuk but now he only does e-locker harrop/Eaton locker installs.

Ahhha a FJC guy ....well that explains everything. (Just kidding I had one too)

I’d still reach out to ARB for an authorized installer different than the one who installed your first attempt so they can assess their competency as an authorized installer. Also post up an introduction in one of the AZ club forums (like copper state cruisers) and ask for a competent Toyota gear installer. I’d recommend Zuk but now he only does e-locker harrop/Eaton locker installs.
I tried CSC group, but they do not allow new members to post or reply. so not sure what they expect someone to do...

So here’s where we stand now. Thanks to the suggestions from @Sargy @atnolan94 @ga12r1 @DirtDawg @mattafact, I ended up buying a locked rear axle from a 99. They basically threw in the front diff from the same vehicle. I’m going to have the shop install an arb locker with the heavy duty compressor in the front diff and install it in my truck. I’ve already ordered some upper and lower control arms, brake pads and rotors, and the Slee locker switch thingy for the rear axle. I’ll get the rear axle installed, but ARB is on back order until the middle of May. So I get to run 2wd for a while until it all comes in.
I’ve seen a couple threads where people have swapped the rear axle from factory locked 98/99 onto later year 100s. This seems doable and it’s going to be super fun to give this a try! Plus the 4.30 gear ratio, while not as extreme as some re-gearing, might feel refreshing after putting 35s on with the 4.10 ratio.

So here’s where we stand now. Thanks to the suggestions from @Sargy @atnolan94 @ga12r1 @DirtDawg @mattafact, I ended up buying a locked rear axle from a 99. They basically threw in the front diff from the same vehicle. I’m going to have the shop install an arb locker with the heavy duty compressor in the front diff and install it in my truck. I’ve already ordered some upper and lower control arms, brake pads and rotors, and the Slee locker switch thingy for the rear axle. I’ll get the rear axle installed, but ARB is on back order until the middle of May. So I get to run 2wd for a while until it all comes in.
I’ve seen a couple threads where people have swapped the rear axle from factory locked 98/99 onto later year 100s. This seems doable and it’s going to be super fun to give this a try! Plus the 4.30 gear ratio, while not as extreme as some re-gearing, might feel refreshing after putting 35s on with the 4.10 ratio.
Part time kit

Did the same. A delta of 0.2 felt like a massive difference at the time. Felt perfect with 295/70/R18s.

Did the same. A delta of 0.2 felt like a massive difference at the time. Felt perfect with 295/70/R18s.
Do you have a 200?🧐

Do you have a 200?🧐

Nope. Retro'd a 1999 rear diff (just the third member) into the 2003 and opted to just match ratios in the front diff.

And now I'm blowing it all apart again for 4.88s. Doh.

Nope. Retro'd a 1999 rear diff (just the third member) into the 2003 and opted to just match ratios in the front diff.

And now I'm blowing it all apart again for 4.88s. Doh.
Yeah I’ve been wondering if 4.30’s will be that much of a difference. But mine is an 06, so I’m hoping the 5 speed and vvti with the 4.30s will a nice enough bump to feel good about it.

Yeah I’ve been wondering if 4.30’s will be that much of a difference. But mine is an 06, so I’m hoping the 5 speed and vvti with the 4.30s will a nice enough bump to feel good about it.

FWIW I felt like it was worth the trouble. I'd continue to run 4.30s, but the IFS on mine is short-lived. Since I'm headed to bigger tires anyway, and needed to rebuild an axle anyway...

FWIW I felt like it was worth the trouble. I'd continue to run 4.30s, but the IFS on mine is short-lived. Since I'm headed to bigger tires anyway, and needed to rebuild an axle anyway...
Well I’m already on 35s. Or they might as well be 35s. I think the 4.30s being triple locked with a Toyota locker in the rear will be super awesome!

Well I’m already on 35s. Or they might as well be 35s. I think the 4.30s being triple locked with a Toyota locker in the rear will be super awesome!
I think it will be too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom