Hitch or bumper 86 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I picked up a great 86 4Runner and I need to haul my utility trailer (10’) to dump once a week and occasionally move something like couch or other household item. Nothing major. So what are my options?

the curt 13024 fits the 87... I’m assuming it will fit the 86.

what are the options for a rear bumper? If I decide to lose the chrome and go bumper, what are the top choices.
Thanks!

1618978851315.jpeg

Well the 4Runner has a completely different frame in the back from the 84-88 pickup. So while Uhaul may say they can do it I'd make damn sure first.

I mean... in the video they are using an 87 4Runner right? I don’t think there is a difference from 86-87. I can’t find an OE hitch anywhere. And if I go bumper route I’m not sure what to do either. Haha.

Nothing different between 1986-1989 4R on the rear bumper. I think even the 1984-85's are the same in the rear.

Marlin, Allpro, and trail gear bumpers all look like decent options. Or go to harbor freight and buy a receiver tube and make your own or pay a local fabricator to weld up something simple.

No idea on uhaul compatibility.

I like the Marlin. Especially the price and availability, but cutting into the body is a no go. I’d have to look elsewhere. 4x4 and blue lake are just so expensive. I mean, they are nice! But dang.

Rockauto has a decent price for a curt class 3. The hopkins 43315 trailer light kit makes trailer lights plug-n-play (no splicing/taps).
That's how I'd do it if the Marlin bumper is out.

Rockauto has a decent price for a curt class 3. The hopkins 43315 trailer light kit makes trailer lights plug-n-play (no splicing/taps).
That's how I'd do it if the Marlin bumper is out.
Are the pickups and 4runners the same as far as the electrical kit goes? “Compatibility “ is only listing the trucks. Thanks!

Yes

Are the pickups and 4runners the same as far as the electrical kit goes? “Compatibility “ is only listing the trucks. Thanks!
Sort of. On the trucks there is access to the taillights to run the trailer harness adapter. On the 4Runners there is not. I had to drill a hole to run the harness through.

Sort of. On the trucks there is access to the taillights to run the trailer harness adapter. On the 4Runners there is not. I had to drill a hole to run the harness through.
Do you happen to have a pic of where you drilled? I will order harness today... still trying to find a hitch option... I think that 1 curt is the only real option that is more or less bolt on. I can’t wait several weeks for a number fab so I will probably grab it. Cheapest I can find it in stock is 240-ish.
Thanks for the help!

Hi guys, I had to replace my rear bumper so I priced Toyota bumper and a receiver hitch, I found the Smittybilt tube bumper with receiver hitch built in was cheaper than the Toy bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom