94 1FZ cat back exhaust options (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I can’t seem to find any high quality options for a complete exhaust system for my 94. I believe Borla and Magnaflow make it for the 95+ but nothing older.

Things are starting to get noisy under there, I also have a cat rattle, I’m sure hangers need to be redone, and the rust has me thinking we’re going to get some holes soon 😂

Question to you knowledgable folks, is my only option for a new cat back system to piece a together muffler cat combo and have the muffler shop bend and weld the new pipes? Have any of you 93/94 owners had success with a new cat back system and can share some advice?

i had mine done within the last 6mo.

replaced (including cat all the way back) new cat really helped with flow and now it has no smell when idling.
muffler choice was OBX racing packed style fiberglass muffler.
new resonator.
Yes this was all done by a muffler shop, i think theres a member here who makes a system thats all the way back however i went with what i described above.
I wanted it to be quiet, I use the 80 for long trips and keeping the sound down was a must for me.
This work also included all new hangers and used aluminized piping, painted black.

i had mine done within the last 6mo.

replaced (including cat all the way back) new cat really helped with flow and now it has no smell when idling.
muffler choice was OBX racing packed style fiberglass muffler.

new resonator.
Yes this was all done by a muffler shop, i think theres a member here who makes a system thats all the way back however i went with what i described above.
I wanted it to be quiet, I use the 80 for long trips and keeping the sound down was a must for me.
This work also included all new hangers and used aluminized piping, painted black.

What’s a OBX muffler, are they supposed to be more quite than stock? Also what kind of cat did you use. I bought some bolt in ones of eBay from Canada. Looking to make mine as quite as possible.

Last edited:
Talk to a local muffler shop; ask around you’ll find the one. It’s the one that the hot rod guys and soccer moms use, lots of diverse experience.
My muffler shop is getting rich putting new cats on Prius models due to rampant theft.
They did my fj40 and my 97 lx450.

They’ll do a good job making it quiet with new cats and mufflers. The custom ones are $$$.

I can’t seem to find any high quality options for a complete exhaust system for my 94. I believe Borla and Magnaflow make it for the 95+ but nothing older.

Things are starting to get noisy under there, I also have a cat rattle, I’m sure hangers need to be redone, and the rust has me thinking we’re going to get some holes soon 😂

Question to you knowledgable folks, is my only option for a new cat back system to piece a together muffler cat combo and have the muffler shop bend and weld the new pipes? Have any of you 93/94 owners had success with a new cat back system and can share some advice?
I was in the same boat you were for months. After ALOT of searching the web and calling dealers to source parts I decided to let my local muffler shop fab something for me last week. I did find some new OEM down pipes by some miracle though and had them install those while they were at it.

My advice is if you decide to do something custom locally OVER communicate with the shop doing it. Make sure they know exactly what you want. I would also purchase all the OEM hardware you need ( studs, nuts, gaskets, etc..) and supply it for the shop too. OEM gaskets for the exhaust system are a must.

I also went with a duel inlet single outlet system so I didn’t have to worry about my 27 year old, rusty, leaking, y-pipe. Hope this wasn’t too long winded. Just my thoughts. I’m not a pro mechanic but I’m happy with my results :cheers:

77D62AE3-7D03-46F8-B4D9-3CA8057D37D2.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would also opt for a resonator if you’re wanting a magnaflow muffler. It’s kinda of annoying on long trips and the resonator will help with the volume.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat you were for months. After ALOT of searching the web and calling dealers to source parts I decided to let my local muffler shop fab something for me last week. I did find some new OEM down pipes by some miracle though and had them install those while they were at it.

My advice is if you decide to do something custom locally OVER communicate with the shop doing it. Make sure they know exactly what you want. I would also purchase all the OEM hardware you need ( studs, nuts, gaskets, etc..) and supply it for the shop too. OEM gaskets for the exhaust system are a must.

I also went with a duel inlet single outlet system so I didn’t have to worry about my 27 year old, rusty, leaking, y-pipe. Hope this wasn’t too long winded. Just my thoughts. I’m not a pro mechanic but I’m happy with my results :cheers:

View attachment 2642184
View attachment 2642210
View attachment 2642211

I would also opt for a resonator if you’re wanting a magnaflow muffler. It’s kinda of annoying on long trips and the resonator will help with the volume.
This is great news, and extremely helpful! Mind if I ask which dual inlet cat did you get? And more importantly where did find the oem down pipes and what where the part numbers so I can triple check haha.

Thanks in advance.

This is great news, and extremely helpful! Mind if I ask which dual inlet cat did you get? And more importantly where did find the oem down pipes and what where the part numbers so I can triple check haha.

Thanks in advance.
I don’t have a part number for my cat unfortunately. I know it’s a magnaflow and it is night and day compared to my original cats. Much better flow and doesn’t rattle. The new cat and y-pipe leak fix/replacement also eliminated my annoying CEL code 25 which is super satisfying. Just talk to your shop and see what they recommend. Anything is better than what you have on there and it’s not rocket science. You just want something with good flow through.

Here is an invoice of the parts my local dealer ordered (and priced matched :grinpimp: ) for me. It lists all the part numbers including the down pipes. The hardware is for the manifold to the down pipe.

6A53EA12-CDE3-432B-A03E-60EC613CBCD8.jpeg

While your at it I would look into new o2 sensors and/or moving the o2 sensors to the manifold and deleting the PAIR system. That’s on my “to do” list as well.

In the end it wasn’t cheap but I’m a big believer in “buy once, cry once”.

This is brilliant. @Lyle Kilson is your truck a 94 or earlier? I wonder if this would work on my 95.

This is brilliant. @Lyle Kilson is your truck a 94 or earlier? I wonder if this would work on my 95.

Brilliant I think may be a too generous😂 I’m still pretty green when it comes to the world of Land Cruisers. Mine is a 94 so the cats used to sit side by side which warranted this specific setup. I believe your 95 is an inline duel cat. 95+ cat systems are still widely available if you wanted something bolt on to do yourself.

Yes mine are inline, although i reduced down to a single "hi flow" cat several years ago when I had the exhaust system routed up over the frame rail, and my Y-pipe cracked welded up. I know there's a magnaflow y-pipe on amazon (and summit) for about $500, and @OTRAMM has the nice stainless setup (but out of my budget atm). I'm not keen on taking a $500 gamble on the pipes you listed just to see if they'll fit - so am super curious if anyone else with a 95+ has done this setup.

Yes mine are inline, although i reduced down to a single "hi flow" cat several years ago when I had the exhaust system routed up over the frame rail, and my Y-pipe cracked welded up. I know there's a magnaflow y-pipe on amazon (and summit) for about $500, and @OTRAMM has the nice stainless setup (but out of my budget atm). I'm not keen on taking a $500 gamble on the pipes you listed just to see if they'll fit - so am super curious if anyone else with a 95+ has done this setup.

Same engine, different year. I don’t see why this setup would work for you. The exhaust output should be the same.

@tone33 See if the Toyota parts site says it works with 1995

Same engine, different year. I don’t see why this setup would work for you. The exhaust output should be the same.

I don’t understand why you would want to go this route when you have 95+ and better aftermarket options. Plus the two pipes from Toyota in the pics above are $600+. Really wish I understood what your trying to accomplish and why?

I don’t understand why you would want to go this route when you have 95+ and better aftermarket options. Plus the two pipes from Toyota in the pics above are $600+. Really wish I understood what your trying to accomplish and why?

Pipes weren’t THAT expensive...

BE8E6D4C-7D1E-4775-AE97-8CDA6DD87B72.jpeg

I’m also curious why this would be considered a better option on a 95+ as well though too🤔

Because there is no YPipe crack to develop a split in it over time... they seem to pretty much always split in the crack and that's why folks replace them. maybe my thinking is flawed though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom