NEW BUILD participation!! 21’ LC HE black/black help with idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

This will be my 3rd 16th+ LC build and I thought it best to get idea from all,of you to make an amazing build.... picking it up next week, paid $2k under MSRP (not sure that’s a good/fair deal, but felt good)

I’m starting with the following:

-full tint ceramic 20% all windows and windshield 50%
-want to do a full clear bra (recommendations of high quality)
-keep stock HE rims, go to 35" meat,probably Toyo but open to suggestions
-deciding between ICON or KING lift ...I’ve done Old man, and kings before, loved king setup drive amazing
-have an existing Rhino 4x4 (Australia)bumper painted to match, skid plate, and need a top winch

From there I would love to hear thoughts on what you guys think is the best overall setup and parts...this will be a medium off-roader and overlander, but I do enjoy the best quality products not the most expensive

GOBI Rack
Extended range or larger fuel tank
Lights lights lights
Ham radio
ARB Lockers
Air pump

I will post pics once I go pick it up in CA next week!

thanks in Advance!

ok here’s the 1st photos. Not exciting just stock. Getting tint next week. Order the adjustment King Coil over setup.

52C9774D-AEC5-44BB-8237-90EEF3FA33AC.jpeg
310ACDC0-AE94-4179-B0BF-5D16987FC3A2.jpeg
8AD2F37B-CE18-4275-86BB-13D0BA185816.jpeg
8B76E8AA-4EA0-4A0D-B457-A2851BDD243C.jpeg
E392ADC9-40B6-4A13-B760-81787EDA1D59.jpeg

Last edited:
Search for Eric Sargent or Ed Martin Toyota either here or on YouTube. He’s done every high end build you can imagine. Or look at the Slee heritage edition.

Lots of what you ask about comes down to personal preference.

Keep in mind very long lead times on parts right now.

From what I’ve seen here, with 35s you’re looking at significant trimming, and the spare won’t fit under the vehicle. That means alternative spare storage - rear bumper with swing out? Slee’s rear bumper is my favorite, but good luck getting one.

Long Range Automotive is the go to for tanks. If they don’t have it in stock, you could be looking at very long lead times. If you go with a bumper mounted spare, you can go as large as 40 gallons on the LRA.

I also prefer King suspensions. Ben at Filthy Motorsports is who I recommend. Very long lead times right now though...

Some thoughts...
  • My brother-in-law purchased the Gobi and eventually regretted the fact that it had cargo rails and was slightly curved (to match the roof). He's now looking at flat racks. The Rhino rack is completely flat and doesn't have any side rails, lips, etc., which is good if you eventually want to go with an RTT. That said, the quality of the Gobi was very good.
  • He also went with an ICON Stage 5 suspension and very much regrets that decision. They drive great, but they require rebuilds at fairly regular intervals. He's now running with his OEM suspension as he waits for ICON to complete the work.
  • Parts are very hard to find, but they can be found with some work and a little creativity.
  • Front lockers require regearing which is quite expensive. A rear-only locker doesn't require regearing and might be sufficient. You could always start with the rear then add the front later.

Sliders….

I had a Gobi on my last FJC and the slight curvature to it while aesthetically pleasing was extremely annoying and made a RTT silly, they also rust. Big fan of Rhino Racks with their Backbone system, I plan to put one our 200 eventually. I too would avoid Icon, instead I'd look at Dobinson MRR, 2.5 King's w/adjusters, or BP-51's. I love the Rhino bumper as well but I refuse to pay that much. I do remember someone saying that there are Rhino bumpers available from someone down in Argentina (I think) for half the price of getting one overseas but I didn't do any digging into that.

Send DM phone number for contact; I'm local, assuming your screen name is current. I have a just-acquired 2008 with all the goodies. Happy to have you come by to climb around the truck and I can show you some of the 'this is great' and some of the 'I wouldda done that differently' parts.

Search for Eric Sargent or Ed Martin Toyota either here or on YouTube. He’s done every high end build you can imagine. Or look at the Slee heritage edition.

From what I’ve seen here, with 35s you’re looking at significant trimming, and the spare won’t fit under the vehicle. That means alternative spare storage - rear bumper with swing out? Slee’s rear bumper is my favorite, but good luck getting one.

Long Range Automotive is the go to for tanks. If they don’t have it in stock, you could be looking at very long lead times. If you go with a bumper mounted spare, you can go as large as 40 gallons on the LRA.

I also prefer King suspensions. Ben at Filthy Motorsports is who I recommend. Very long lead times right now though...
The last LC I had did need trimming but not a lot, and thank you for the Rec on LRA I’m definitely adding that. I remember how frustrating it was with my last 200 and I’d be at the gas station all the time.

I am considering an additional reserve tank but I don’t want to eliminate the spare or add it to the rear. So I need to ponder that!

Some thoughts...
  • My brother-in-law purchased the Gobi and eventually regretted the fact that it had cargo rails and was slightly curved (to match the roof). He's now looking at flat racks. The Rhino rack is completely flat and doesn't have any side rails, lips, etc., which is good if you eventually want to go with an RTT. That said, the quality of the Gobi was very good.
  • He also went with an ICON Stage 5 suspension and very much regrets that decision. They drive great, but they require rebuilds at fairly regular intervals. He's now running with his OEM suspension as he waits for ICON to complete the work.
  • Parts are very hard to find, but they can be found with some work and a little creativity.
  • Front lockers require regearing which is quite expensive. A rear-only locker doesn't require regearing and might be sufficient. You could always start with the rear then add the front later.
Really the GOBI rusted and why does the curve cause a lot of frustration? Is it harder to secure tie downs? This is 2 comments say the same.

I like the Prinsu I’ll look at the Rhino as well

I have decided I’m going with the top line King Coil over with adjusters. Just seems it’s the best overall and had it on my last one. Drove great on road and off

I’ll definitely do ARB air, and I’m not sure I need to regear for 35”I’ve heard both sides not sure yet

I had a Gobi on my last FJC and the slight curvature to it while aesthetically pleasing was extremely annoying and made a RTT silly, they also rust. Big fan of Rhino Racks with their Backbone system, I plan to put one our 200 eventually. I too would avoid Icon, instead I'd look at Dobinson MRR, 2.5 King's w/adjusters, or BP-51's. I love the Rhino bumper as well but I refuse to pay that much. I do remember someone saying that there are Rhino bumpers available from someone down in Argentina (I think) for half the price of getting one overseas but I didn't do any digging into that.
How long after you installed did it rust? That’s disappointing....if I get one might send off to get a clear coat seal.

I do want a level look not a rear in the air style. I accomplished that with the king set up last time, but I could with Old Man

I already own the rhino from a previous build where the buyer decided not to put it on so that easy, but need the best winch for it

Send DM phone number for contact; I'm local, assuming your screen name is current. I have a just-acquired 2008 with all the goodies. Happy to have you come by to climb around the truck and I can show you some of the 'this is great' and some of the 'I wouldda done that differently' parts.
Excellent I will send when I’m back in town!

Yes I heard that lead times on kings is 34 weeks! I barley hold on to a car that long haha. Plus I have a New Bronco to build, ordered a Rivian, the Tesla Truck, and GMC Hummer.....all to resell for quick $$$ but interested to see how they all perform against a kited up LC. I’ll keep it through all those purchases.

How long after you installed did it rust? That’s disappointing....if I get one might send off to get a clear coat seal.

I do want a level look not a rear in the air style. I accomplished that with the king set up last time, but I could with Old Man

I already own the rhino from a previous build where the buyer decided not to put it on so that easy, but need the best winch for it

I've had two Gobi's both rusted within two years. They are steel so it's just a matter of time.

I've had two Gobi's both rusted within two years. They are steel so it's just a matter of time.
Any other recommendations for racks? I wish Yakima and Toyota spent a little more time designing that basket!

Any other recommendations for racks? I wish Yakima and Toyota spent a little more time designing that basket!
I'm very pro-Front Runner. Best mix of aesthetics (moderate) and functionality/add-ons (great). Downside: bits tend to be expensive, even if dealer markup is not super high.

I'm very pro-Front Runner. Best mix of aesthetics (moderate) and functionality/add-ons (great). Downside: bits tend to be expensive, even if dealer markup is not super high.
Thankfully I’m a used luxury auto dealer so I can get a wholesale discount on parts...(no I’m not trying to sell this through my company nor am I promoting my company on here, it’s privately owned and I paid sales tax like everyone else haha! I wish I got a better deal but nope $2k under MSRP).

Here's my Black/Black 2020 HE which Eric Sarjeant did. Prinsu Rack, Slee Sliders with powder coated inserts to match the HE Wheels, and chrome delete painted black. Happy all around. Wish I would've done LRA Fuel Tank and on board ARB air compressor. Will probably add those. Definitely check out Eric Sarjeant's stuff on FB.

63918475506__8C1B6E64-DDE9-4844-AD30-47EE8C4F325F.jpeg

63918472594__CFC7777C-BC9F-4318-B5B4-15934AC97618.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

Here's my Black/Black 2020 HE which Eric Sarjeant did. Prinsu Rack, Slee Sliders with powder coated inserts to match the HE Wheels, and chrome delete painted black. Happy all around. Wish I would've done LRA Fuel Tank and on board ARB air compressor. Will probably add those. Definitely check out Eric Sarjeant's stuff on FB.

View attachment 2658228

View attachment 2658229

View attachment 2658233

I forgot (but quickly reminded) on how great the gas milage these get! Definitely adding at least the 12.5 LRA tank. But want the big boy, just not sold on rear bumper with spare on it....I like a cleaner look not full Overland 4x4. Love the Slee sliders I’m coping that!!!

I forgot (but quickly reminded) on how great the gas milage these get! Definitely adding at least the 12.5 LRA tank. But want the big boy, just not sold on rear bumper with spare on it....I like a cleaner look not full Overland 4x4. Love the Slee sliders I’m coping that!!!
Agree----I'm in and out of my cargo area too often to have the spare there. Maybe for my next build I'll put one on the back and get the big LRA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom