For Sale 1979 BJ40 24900 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series

Not mine. Don't think it has been posted on here before.

Wondering peoples thoughts?? It is about 3 hours from me but I have a friend who will take a look at it for me (We both don't know what to look for!)

1979 is my dream year, I am on the fence about getting a diesel but I don't see many for sale around my parts, saving me the US dollar and import costs.

Thanks for any input.

Yep, looks like that is a $500 paint job on top of diamond plate on top of rust. If that is Canadian dollars it is about $20K US dollars... Not sure what the Canadian market is like, but...

It looks scary to me!

Yep, looks like that is a $500 paint job on top of diamond plate on top of rust. If that is Canadian dollars it is about $20K US dollars... Not sure what the Canadian market is like, but...

It looks scary to me!
Looks like it was painted with a fire hose.
Screenshot_20210421-032302_Chrome.jpg

I would not completely write it off unless you were looking for something that’s 100% complete. There’s a chance he might be negotiable on the price and if you’re willing to get something that needs a little work, you might get a good deal.

It’s hard to tell from just a few pictures but if it is mechanically sound and the body is not too bad underneath that new paint and diamond plate, you might have a diamond in the rough. No pun intended!

A complete running and driving 1979 BJ is hard to find (At least it is here in the states. I don't know anything about the Canadian market). This one looks complete (except no back doors in any of the pics) so if that is what you are looking for, I say get a little more information.

If your friend is willing to look at it, I would have him take a look, take lots of pics, and speak to the owner to get more information. If the seller is negotiable and motivated to sell you might be able to snag it for a good deal.

As you know sometimes people are too ambitious with their initial listing price and then realize they need to be more realistic, or he might be in a situation where he needs to sell it quick.

I bought several vehicles in the past for less than half what the asking price was because I was in person, they were motivated to sell, and I had cash in hand.

Just my $0.02 cents :)

MM

A couple more thoughts...

I am not sure why you hesitate to get a diesel but they are great. Is diesel NOT readily available in Canadian? The diesel motors are just as good (some people say better) than the regular gas 2F motors. Like I said the BJ's often are more desirable than the FJ's in some places.

As far as what to look for, there are several threads here on MUD and articles on the net with info on "what to look for" when buying a FJ40 or BJ40. Read through some of those and you will get tons of great info.

Also, when you find one you like, take lots of pics, ask lots of questions, and post all that stuff here on MUD. As I am sure you can see... we are not afraid give our $0.02 cents. The comments and feed back you get here will be super helpful in your quest to learn about and find a good Land Cruiser.

One more thing, you can post a "Wanted" add in the classified. That is how I found both my FJ40 and FJ55. Lots of great people here on MUD!!

MM

A couple more thoughts...

I am not sure why you hesitate to get a diesel but they are great. Is diesel NOT readily available in Canadian? The diesel motors are just as good (some people say better) than the regular gas 2F motors. Like I said the BJ's often are more desirable than the FJ's in some places.

As far as what to look for, there are several threads here on MUD and articles on the net with info on "what to look for" when buying a FJ40 or BJ40. Read through some of those and you will get tons of great info.

Also, when you find one you like, take lots of pics, ask lots of questions, and post all that stuff here on MUD. As I am sure you can see... we are not afraid give our $0.02 cents. The comments and feed back you get here will be super helpful in your quest to learn about and find a good Land Cruiser.

One more thing, you can post a "Wanted" add in the classified. That is how I found both my FJ40 and FJ55. Lots of great people here on MUD!!

MM
Thanks again! Don't under-value your comments.... they are worth at least .04 cents to me. lol

Update.

Buddy met with the seller, 3 minutes from his house as luck would have it. LOTS OF RUST. Motor looks good but that's about it, Way too much work for me to pay someone to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom