1989 FJ62 not getting any power to starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday everyone

I'm unable to get any power to my starter motor, both starter and solenoid are in good working order, when I turn the key I only get 1 single loud click from from this relay under the passenger side kick panel

Keen to get her going anyone have any idea on where I should start looking?

Any helpful info will be appreciated cheers

Good battery, fully charged? If so, check for 12v at the small spade connector on the starter solenoid (if similar to a 60 starter) when the relay clicks on. If 12v there, could be a bad solenoid or starter. If no 12v at spade connector when relay is clicked on, then trace backwards in that circuit until you find 12v again. E.g., could be no 12v output from relay even though it 'clicks'. A 62 wiring diagram will help a lot with this.

Turn on headlights attempt to start. if the lights are supper dim, your battery is low. If they look some what bright and then go really dim, the current in the battery is very low. Got a volt meter or battery tester?

Turn on headlights attempt to start. if the lights are supper dim, your battery is low. If they look some what bright and then go really dim, the current in the battery is very low. Got a volt meter or battery tester?
check battery positive wire when trying to start it for 5 seconds check if cable is really hot? it means the armuture is mostly likely shoring against the cummutor. knock rock against starter housing try start it.

check battery positive wire when trying to start it for 5 seconds check if cable is really hot? it means the armuture is mostly likely shoring against the cummutor. knock rock against starter housing try start it.
Gday starter and battery are both in great condition mate

Turn the key to on and use a jumper wire to run power directly from the battery positive to the starter solenoid trigger. If the starter turns as it should it’s likely your original starter trigger wires are old. Then a fender style relay is probably your best bet.

Maybe double check it’s park, sometimes it gets bumped out or Neutral start switch could be going bad.

Maybe double check it’s park, sometimes it gets bumped out or Neutral start switch could be going bad.
Good call. But if his solenoid is what’s clicking I think the nss is ok.

Check all the wires coming off of the positive battery terminal for breaks and corrosion. That has gotten me a couple of times over the years.

Fusible link?

no that will melt just like any fuse and have infinate resistance.
They can get crusty and still work albeit with more resistance. They are not go nogo always

Last edited:
Turn the key to on and use a jumper wire to run power directly from the battery positive to the starter solenoid trigger. If the starter turns as it should it’s likely your original starter trigger wires are old. Then a fender style relay is probably your best bet.
This ^^

I have used a remote start switch to test OEM trigger system in this way with good success. Have one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B084DCJGML

Useful for bypass and testing of the OEM trigger wiring, as well as being able to spin engine for valve adjustment/checks, etc. But as @Seth S says, just running a wire from battery to starter direct will work. GL and HTH.

Good battery, fully charged? If so, check for 12v at the small spade connector on the starter solenoid (if similar to a 60 starter) when the relay clicks on. If 12v there, could be a bad solenoid or starter. If no 12v at spade connector when relay is clicked on, then trace backwards in that circuit until you find 12v again. E.g., could be no 12v output from relay even though it 'clicks'. A 62 wiring diagram will help a lot with this.

Good call. But if his solenoid is what’s clicking I think the nss is ok.
I believe it's the circuit opening relay that clicks mate

There are different clicks. If the starter solenoid isn’t firing properly due to low voltage on old wires you typically get a very loud and definite clunk. Easy to confirm with the hood open or even with your hand on the starter while someone else turns the key. Any other relays are going to be much quieter clicks and most likely under the dash

There are different clicks. If the starter solenoid isn’t firing properly due to low voltage on old wires you typically get a very loud and definite clunk. Easy to confirm with the hood open or even with your hand on the starter while someone else turns the key. Any other relays are going to be much quieter clicks and most likely under the dash
No clicks or sounds from the starter what so ever mate

Believe this is the correct wiring diagram
No clicks or sounds from the starter what so ever mate

For some reason I thought you were saying the starting was clicking...but could have been another thread as several people have posted recently about similar issues. I'd refer back to @poptart 's post about the neutral safety switch. basically looks like 1) fusible link, 2 ignition switch, 3 neutral safety switch, 4 broken wire, 5 bad fuse etc.

1618947116706.png

This one is for the 85 FJ60 but also similar.

1618947272389.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom