Grom VLine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed and functioning. Need to give it a drive test but ran through paces. Apple Car Play (wired and wireless) working as expected. Audio quality on par with factory systems. Operationally the unit is quick as it needs to be. Factory resistive screen is the limiter.

Issues:
- Bezel for monitor out was screwed on upside down blocking the video port... flipped it to correct orientation.
- Main interface cable from factory head unit has issue - if wiggled the screen will go black. unit stays on and where it was but screen goes black. Confirmed cable causing issue. Will reach out to Grom for replacement.

More to Come.

Any updates?

Any updates?

Just received the replacement main cable for the unit. I'll swap it in a day or two.

I have been using the unit and its working well - I am documenting the quirks but want to swap cables to make sure the things I'm seeing arent induced by the defective cable. One issue that seems to come up is when the cameras are set to Auto, that is selected to come on when speed drops below 4mph, about 50% of the time the screen scrambles and reverts back to whatever Grom app is running. It feels like if I'm not running mapping or whatever it works perfectly fine switching back and forth.

More to come.

I have had nothing buy issues since I bought my unit back in July. None of the cameras worked once their harness was installed. The installer said the harness does not appear to be correct. Even so, GROM refused to send me a new one and kept having me try different things. In the end, nothing worked so they suggested I send it back for a partial refund. I thought, they must be joking. I was helping them out by troubleshooting what is wrong and now I don't get a full refund? Plus, it takes them days to respond to my emails after I try something.

In hindsight, I believe their delay in responding was intentional. I gave them the benefit of the doubt too long. If anyone is having issues, send it back... do not give them the opportunity to take your money because they will.

On my 2008 USDM LC, the installation was pretty smooth. Everything was straightforward and didn't require any soldering or splicing. Mounted the unit under the glove compartment.
So far, the unit works with a couple minor bugs. The most annoying one is when I go from D -> R -> D, the unit defaults back to the OEM nav welcome screen and not the apple carplay home screen. This requires me to hit the DISC AUX button to return to apple carplay.

IMG_4761.JPG

Just installed my vline2 and of course. My cameras dont work. I was able to install everything else. When i put reverse, camera flickers. The camera issue may be a big no for me. Should have read all this problems before forking out the money

Just installed my vline2 and of course. My cameras dont work. I was able to install everything else. When i put reverse, camera flickers. The camera issue may be a big no for me. Should have read all this problems before forking out the money
What year do you have?

It works perfectly fine with my 2014 LX570. Have you contacted their support?

The one feature I think is missing from this setup is the ability to view navigation apps on the screen while listening to AM/FM or Sirius Radio. I know I could stream those sources on my phone, but I struggle to keep my data usage from going over a threshold and getting throttled every month as is. I’m married to my data plan provided by my job.

The one feature I think is missing from this setup is the ability to view navigation apps on the screen while listening to AM/FM or Sirius Radio. I know I could stream those sources on my phone, but I struggle to keep my data usage from going over a threshold and getting throttled every month as is. I’m married to my data plan provided by my job.
Does the Grom unit automatically switch the audio source to AUX when you switch the video over? With the equivalent EC Offroad unit, the user manually switches the audio mode, so it's easy to select AM/FM or Sirius then press and hold the HOME button to switch over to Android mode and use native Android apps for navigation or CarPlay / Android Auto apps from a tethered smartphone (obviously without voice directions until you select AUX as the audio source).

What year do you have?
2013 lc. any camera use the screen turns dark. everything else works. ive contacted support. Ive also disconnected my battery again. and no dice.

I remember a year ago, i disconnected my battery, and no sound would play in radio. it worked again when i disconnected the battery and reconnected.

the cameras work, there seems to be no error in the secret menu, however, the signal is not getting thru the display.

Anyone with cameras issue, had the problem fixed?

I had a problem with GROM Vline2 and a 2013 LC. When I was in GROM/CarPlay mode, any time I shifted into Reverse the screen went dark. Then returned to CarPlay when I shifted out of Reverse (backup camera worked fine when in stock Toyota system). After much frustration with GROM insisting it wasn't their product's issue for many many months, GROM issued a firmware update that fixed the issue.

If you haven't updated firmware and software to the latest offerings, I would try that. Updating the firmware alone took me forever because the GROM unit android interface would continually drop the WiFi signal after a few seconds of download. Luckily it would start over from its point of progress when I turned WiFi back on, and resumed the download. Still took forever to download the entire firmware file. But it worked and fixed the issue for me.

Good luck. It is nice to have CarPlay on the Land Cruiser screen, but GROM as a company is basically selling a Beta and you get to participate in the beta. No clue if the other options are any better.

Just installed mine last night. I had the same camera issues as everyone else but i was parked in my driveway where i could get Wifi from my house. Updated firmware and software in about 5 min. All problems resolved. Rear Dvd works as expected too. No issues here but haven't done any longer term tests.

I installed the unit behind the screen factory screen and ran my USB cable thru my air vent to my wireless charger.

Attention anyone with back up camera issues ..........

This is an issue after disconnecting the battery , did a research on it and happens often on many cars.

I was able to fixit for now, I hope. after reading several posts.

Disconnected my battery overnight, then I came in the morning and opened all doors apply the brakes several times.

The issue is to drain any power in the cars computer. i even unplugged the parking monitor ecu.

After all that I reconnected the ecu and battery.

Cameras now are working. Figured I share, In the end it worth a try..

Hope it helps anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom