4th Gen 4Runner - towing 4,000 lbs in Colorado Mountains (1 Viewer)

Would you tow a 4,000 lb trailer in Colorado Rockies with a 4th Gen?

• No, are you crazy?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, is your life insurance paid up?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning a trip that will involve towing a trailer with 3 llamas and gear - total weight probably not less than 4,000 lbs.

Am I crazy to do that with a 4th Gen ?

Would you do it?

If so:
What mods would you want to have done?
Tranny Cooler ? seems to be hard to find a shop that will do it. No idea on the cost.
Scan Gauge ? sounds like a good idea. No idea on cost.

Of course make sure the suspension, brakes and brake controller are as up to the task as possible.

The other (expensive) option is to just buy a 200 series LC. Not the perfect tow vehicle but probably a lot better than a 4th Gen and any necessary upgrades will have a longer useful life vs. putting more $$ into my '05 4Runner.

Do a scan gauge, good information there.

V6 or V8 4Runner?

llama pics??
V6
1618886798433.jpeg

If you had a TRD supercharger (NLA) the added torque might do the trick, wouldn’t hurt to have some stiffer springs to offset the added weight.

Planning a trip that will involve towing a trailer with 3 llamas and gear - total weight probably not less than 4,000 lbs.

Am I crazy to do that with a 4th Gen ?

Would you do it?

If so:
What mods would you want to have done?
Tranny Cooler ? seems to be hard to find a shop that will do it. No idea on the cost.
Scan Gauge ? sounds like a good idea. No idea on cost.

Of course make sure the suspension, brakes and brake controller are as up to the task as possible.

The other (expensive) option is to just buy a 200 series LC. Not the perfect tow vehicle but probably a lot better than a 4th Gen and any necessary upgrades will have a longer useful life vs. putting more $$ into my '05 4Runner.
I had a larger trans cooler installed on my 470, for towing duty. Worked great...temps went from averaging 190-200, to averaging 150-160 now. Tim’s Aatco transmission shop, in Beaverton, Oregon (may not be too far from you, depending where in WA). $450, Tim is very fair.
Temps measured on my Scan Gauge. $200, easy to install. Great peace of mind.

I had a larger trans cooler installed on my 470, for towing duty. Worked great...temps went from averaging 190-200, to averaging 150-160 now. Tim’s Aatco transmission shop, in Beaverton, Oregon (may not be too far from you, depending where in WA). $450, Tim is very fair.
Temps measured on my Scan Gauge. $200, easy to install. Great peace of mind.
Thank you. I'm in the Seattle region, so Beaverton is a bit far. But prices are good to know as well. How would you feel about towing 4,000 lbs incl. Llamas on steep mountain roads? I'm more concerned about going down. I figure the combination of a tranny cooler, scan gauge and driving slow can take care of going up. Maybe one of those - can't remember the name - devices that keep tranny from upshifting would also help.

Low gear(s) and trailer brakes (Set properly).
Also, I’d consider new transmission fluid before you start, and replace once you’re done with the trip. Might be $100, but it’s added insurance.
And I sure you know this, but don’t tow in Drive...unless on flat ground...use 4th or even 3rd. You don’t want the torque converter locking and unlocking...that’s what develops the transmission-killing heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom