San Diego, Socal Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think we need more of the story. In California, sellers are expected to provide a passing smog test within the past 90 days.

Is your truck from out of state? Does it have all the smog equipment? Has it been tested recently? If so, what are the numbers?

I think we need more of the story. In California, sellers are expected to provide a passing smog test within the past 90 days.

Is your truck from out of state? Does it have all the smog equipment? Has it been tested recently? If so, what are the numbers?

Think he's looking for more a "hot smog" than actually rolling through the process.

Yeah, my 60 is complete desmogged. In a big boat of crap right now.

My 60 is straight up desmogged. Even if it passed numbers it would fail visual. Looking to see if anyone knows any good shops.

From the myriad of people who asked before you I’d wager you need to smog the truck before you have a chance at passing visual and likely sniffer test.

You probably wouldn’t get past the visual. Ca requires all smog equipment to be in place. One of the reasons that CARB compliant CA rigs bring the big bucks.

If your PO went all the way with the de-smog, re-smogging sounds like a curse worse than death. AND expensive. I would seriously consider an out of state registration.

A “hot” smog shop surely exists in SD but I would not expect anyone to divulge that kind of info here. And you’ll be dealing with it every 2 years.

The real challenge with putting all the smog stuff back in is finding the smog parts to begin with. Most of it is NLA or used/rebuilt and expensive. Best bet is to put a wanted ad in the classifieds

The real challenge with putting all the smog stuff back in is finding the smog parts to begin with. Most of it is NLA or used/rebuilt and expensive. Best bet is to put a wanted ad in the classifieds

Not to pile on, but I can attest to the above. Needed to get back some of my smog parts and its not a trivial task to collect them. I did not even need to return mine to full smog capability (no smog check here), but was simply trying to return things to improve drivability. It was challenging enough to find parts for that, let alone a return to full smog. So much so that it would give me pause on buying a desmogged truck again. If I lived in Cali, no way I would own one of these dinosaurs. My hats off to those that do. Seems like a beat down of the highest order. GL here.

I don't know if this will apply to you, but Calif has a 'Consumer Assistance Program' (if you meet the financials), where they will pay up to $1200 to get your truck compliant. First, you have to fail the test and get an estimate of repairs... Does the truck even have the stock Aisan carburetor?

I don't know if this will apply to you, but Calif has a 'Consumer Assistance Program' (if you meet the financials), where they will pay up to $1200 to get your truck compliant. First, you have to fail the test and get an estimate of repairs...

Not to pile on, but I can attest to the above. Needed to get back some of my smog parts and its not a trivial task to collect them. I did not even need to return mine to full smog capability (no smog check here), but was simply trying to return things to improve drivability. It was challenging enough to find parts for that, let alone a return to full smog. So much so that it would give me pause on buying a desmogged truck again. If I lived in Cali, no way I would own one of these dinosaurs. My hats off to those that do. Seems like a beat down of the highest order. GL here.
Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I’m in way over my head unfortunately. I guess what I’m not understanding is, why can’t I resmog it? Why is there not another way to resmog it besides finding pieces that are 30+ years old and probably broken?
I’ve read on mud numerous forums about desmog and resmog and what I’ve read is above my pay grade mechanically. I’m much more of a “hands on” learner and I feel stuck reading about it all.
There’s nothing ‘modern’ that can be done?
I’m basically looking at one of these options.
- Try and find the parts to resmog and gamble they may work/may not.
- Find a hot smog and use it every two years.
- Swap a new diesel engine in it.
- Register it out of state.
I understand it’s sellers responsibility to get it smogged but very rarely does that every happen in CA with private sales.

Pretty gutted because I love the 60 and want to keep it as a lifelong vehicle and am not sure which path to go down.

I guess what I’m not understanding is, why can’t I resmog it? Why is there not another way to resmog it besides finding pieces that are 30+ years old and probably broken?

I’m basically looking at one of these options.
- Try and find the parts to resmog and gamble they may work/may not.
- Find a hot smog and use it every two years.
- Register it out of state.

Pretty gutted because I love the 60 and want to keep it as a lifelong vehicle and am not sure which path to go down.

Because you're in fooking Kalifornia where rational alternatives do not exist. Kalif wants you in a Prius.

Repowering a 60 is an arduous and expensive process also.

Hot smog is increasingly if not impossible to find since the penalties have become so draconian.

You can resmog, but it ain't easy. You may get luck and find someone who has just desmoged and will sell you everything, or most of it.

If you need an Stock carb, you could be looking at $1000 for parts, etc...

What modern could be done is a different engine. I'll let the Californians comment on how an engine swap works there in terms of smog compliance because I am actually curious how this goes. I am selfishly curious how this works in Cali in terms of visual inspection. Assume with swaps its based on the current engine in the vehicle?

Unless you are completely in love with the stocker 2F, and based on everything said here, why wouldn't this be option one? Will cost a bit more but you most likely will have a better truck in the end which you can actually use there. I love my 2F but its a purely nostalgia-based affair. If I couldn't drive the truck because of a situation like this then the 2F would be gone for something else, and I would happily embrace all the increased performance that goes along with it. Again my hats off to the Californians that own these trucks.

What modern could be done is a different engine. I'll let the Californians comment on how an engine swap works there in terms of smog compliance because I am actually curious how this goes. I am selfishly curious how this works in Cali in terms of visual inspection. Assume with swaps its based on the current engine in the vehicle?

Unless you are completely in love with the stocker 2F, and based on everything said here, why wouldn't this be option one? Will cost a bit more but you most likely will have a better truck in the end which you can actually use there. I love my 2F but its a purely nostalgia-based affair. If I couldn't drive the truck because of a situation like this then the 2F would be gone for something else, and I would happily embrace all the increased performance that goes along with it. Again my hats off to the Californians that own these trucks.
This is the most likely scenario going for me at the moment. I want to swap an H55 in too so it may just be a large upfront cost. I’m wanting to meet up with some local San Diego cruiser owners who have a better base knowledge than I do who can look at my truck and tell me the cost and I can decide if it’s worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom