First 40, not sure where to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NTB

Threads
So after owning my 80 for 10+ years and reading as much of the 40 section as possible over the last month I bought this 40:
9ED1B0DA-4944-4170-8787-A344AD2E25EE.jpeg

It seems pretty rust free which is what interested me, unfortunately that appears to be a result of not being driven in decades. It didn’t have a motor when I bought it, supposedly the previous PO had a 283 in it.

The interior is a little rough there’s a decent amount of missing trim as well.

This is by far the biggest car project I’ve tried to take on.

The seller included what he thought was a 4 speed transmission and transfer case from a ‘74, the bell housing is for a 350, there’s an extra bell housing as well. It looks like an OEM alternator is sitting in the tub too.

The harness has obviously seen better days, it seems like pulling the harness might be good compared to spot repairs?

I’m not sure what engine I’d like to put in, figuring that out seems like as good a place to start as any. Never having driven an F motor (or a 40 for that matter) it’s hard to know whether to go back to that, stick with the small block motor mounts or look more into Toyota diesels.

I included a pic of the fiberglass top, I think it’s salvageable but I have no real body work experience so I’m not sure. The only place it seems like bondo was used on the rest of the body was the DS front fender, everything else holds a weak fridge magnet pretty good.

4CEAD832-314A-4A28-AE6D-03F922F1D1F1.jpeg
AA208476-DAAC-4FEC-93E5-FD4F62A9A60A.jpeg

E7ADDB02-56CD-4673-AE3E-3EB893EF02AA.jpeg

B6588771-58AA-480F-8489-F78C8315582D.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of 40s!

Looks like a solid foundation.

You will have to make your own decision about the SBC, or putting the original engine back in. There seems to be a slight difference of opinion among the talented and knowledgeable folks here on Mud.
Nice truck to start with tho.

I had a 283 in my current FJ40 and likeit more than a 350 in my previous FJ40. I thought the 350 was a bit overpowering.

When the 283 was in need of a rebuild, I decided to drop in the complete drive train from an 85 FJ60. The split case really cuts down on the drive noise and the F2 is good for power and the FJ40 sounds like it should. Haven’t done it yet — but adding a replacing a the carb for a Holley sniper might be next.

One of the hardest choices for me was engine & drive line. Good luck with yours.

If you are in the 350 frame of mind consider a LS with a H55f transmission and split case. More refined. My son is doing an LS swap at the moment. I am a die hard TEQ fan. Being around this is showing me a different perspective. He bought a low mileage LS motor for $800. Hard to beat. Parts are abundant. Easy to work on. Holley sniper kit makes engine management easy. Lots of debate. I think it is great.

Wow thanks for all the advice!

I do have at least a decent idea of what I’d like to do for the rest of the vehicle. I suppose the next thing to do is figure out motor pricing.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether those motor mounts are still usable? They feel solid but I’m skeptical of PO work that includes mixed space/nut u-bolt installation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the top is salvageable? That was the only unexpected disappointment and I didn’t research top rehab.

motor mounts, depends on what engine you are going to use.

boat repair place for fiberglass repair?? for the top

was this out of Billings?

is it a late 1970 or 1971? boosted brakes started in mid year 1970, still has column shift

Last edited:
motor mounts, depends on what engine you are going to use.

boat repair place for fiberglass repair?? for the top

was this out of Billings?

is it a late 1970 or 1971? boosted brakes started in mid year 1970, still has column shift
Yup I was more just wondering if the motor mounts had any obvious issues I may have missed, not whether I’d be able to reuse them for other engines.

Late 1970, it appears to have been built in November per the VIN build date guide.

So after owning my 80 for 10+ years and reading as much of the 40 section as possible over the last month I bought this 40:
View attachment 2648535

It seems pretty rust free which is what interested me, unfortunately that appears to be a result of not being driven in decades. It didn’t have a motor when I bought it, supposedly the previous PO had a 283 in it.

The interior is a little rough there’s a decent amount of missing trim as well.

This is by far the biggest car project I’ve tried to take on.

The seller included what he thought was a 4 speed transmission and transfer case from a ‘74, the bell housing is for a 350, there’s an extra bell housing as well. It looks like an OEM alternator is sitting in the tub too.

The harness has obviously seen better days, it seems like pulling the harness might be good compared to spot repairs?

I’m not sure what engine I’d like to put in, figuring that out seems like as good a place to start as any. Never having driven an F motor (or a 40 for that matter) it’s hard to know whether to go back to that, stick with the small block motor mounts or look more into Toyota diesels.

I included a pic of the fiberglass top, I think it’s salvageable but I have no real body work experience so I’m not sure. The only place it seems like bondo was used on the rest of the body was the DS front fender, everything else holds a weak fridge magnet pretty good.

View attachment 2648539View attachment 2648540

View attachment 2648541

View attachment 2648542
If you are going for a period correct diesel, go for a 2H. They usually came in long wheelbase models but I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to put one in a shorty. My dream engine tho would be a 1HDT diesel, although it would be a lot of work and such, but it’s been done.

although, diesels are harder to get parts for, but then again, diesels are cool. I love diesels but most guys here are probably gonna recommend a 350 because it’s easy and common and cheap. Just depends on what you want, and how much time you got, and how much money you got

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom