Fees and permits for St. Anthony Dunes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife and I are headed down to the dunes at St. Anthony on the weekend of May 8th and 9th. The plan is to stay at Idaho Dunes RV with the backup plan being to stay at Egin Lake Campground. Both are first come first served for tent sites.

To the question:

If I read this site it says that I need a safety flag, an annual ORV sticker, and to pay the $5/vehicle day use fee. So I look up how to get an ORV sticker for Idaho, but there are only OHV stickers. So I look up how to get an OHV sticker, and I find this site:

So now the question is, is my FJ40 an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV), a Specialty Off-Highway Vehicle (SOHV), a Utility-Type Vehicle (UTV), or something else entirely? Do I actually even need the ORV/OHV sticker for my FJ40 since it is registered already?

What do I actually need to use the dunes at St. Anthony?

Well I find that interesting I've been going there for the last 3 years (with a large group) and have never registered my vehicle, and I have encountered law enforcement while I was there.
Yes, I'm finding that the website wont actually allow me to register a Toyota. So I've got an email sent to Idaho Parks and Recreation to see what they say.

Yes, I'm finding that the website wont actually allow me to register a Toyota. So I've got an email sent to Idaho Parks and Recreation to see what they say.
So after reading on a non BLM website that vehicles are not allowed in the dunes I just called them and they told me that licensed vehicles (your FJ40 and my FJC) are NOT allowed in the dunes, though she said it happens but is not supposed to. I guess that I was just lucky the last three years.

So after reading on a non BLM website that vehicles are not allowed in the dunes I just called them and they told me that licensed vehicles (your FJ40 and my FJC) are NOT allowed in the dunes, though she said it happens but is not supposed to. I guess that I was just lucky the last three years.
Well that stinks.

Found on this site:

7. No highway-licensed vehicles are allowed on the Sand Dunes.

So that is a huge bummer. Any suggestions for other areas to go that weekend that are no farther from Bozeman than St. Anthony?

The PC way of saying:

7. Hey man, I would't drive that Whinnebago on the sand dunes, man.

The PC way of saying:

7. Hey man, I would't drive that Whinnebago on the sand dunes, man.
That was kind of my thought, but I'm also looking for alternatives for a 300ish mile overnight shakedown trip.

Let me put in my two cents. I’ve led groups there the last three years. I’m planning another trip second or third weekend in may. I’ve never had any problems and we’ve seen the rangers. We just make sure everyone has a GOOD working radio and a sand flag

Let me put in my two cents. I’ve led groups there the last three years. I’m planning another trip second or third weekend in may. I’ve never had any problems and we’ve seen the rangers. We just make sure everyone has a GOOD working radio and a sand flag
Do you still need to purchase the day use pass?

I reached out to the Fremont Sherriff and this is what he had to say.

"The only requirement that we are enforcing is that Fremont County has a flag ordinance that requires a flag on all vehicles operating on the sand. Since your Toyota is registered as a motor vehicle, I assume it is, then you do not need an off road sticker for it."

GREAT news.

Fantastic! I just ordered materials to get a flag mounted.

I'm scheduling a tentative date for when I'll be planning a trip to the dunes of Saturday May, 22nd 2021. just FYI

I'm scheduling a tentative date for when I'll be planning a trip to the dunes of Saturday May, 22nd 2021. just FYI
We're going to be there May 15-16. The only part I'm at all worried about now is that last time I was down that way the roads were in pretty bad shape.

We're going to be there May 15-16. The only part I'm at all worried about now is that last time I was down that way the roads were in pretty bad shape.
and i actually just drove right past st Anthony and the roads were fine the whole way.

and i actually just drove right past st Anthony and the roads were fine the whole way.
A few weeks ago I was dodging lots of huge potholes from Chester to the Henry's Fork river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom