Steering column/steering shaft help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the support for the steering shaft pass through and I can’t find the parts needed. Does anyone have a diagram? My rigs a 2004 LX.

backstory: So when I changed my steering rack somehow my steering shaft (the part that passes through into the cab) broke its support and now it causes a thunk when I hit a bump (super annoying off road).

Is this the part? P/N 45025-60150 "COVER SUB-ASSY, STEERING COLUMN HOLE"

s-l400.jpg

Is this the part? P/N 45025-60150 "COVER SUB-ASSY, STEERING COLUMN HOLE"

View attachment 2570197

That might be it! I can grab the steering shaft and move it up and down and when I shake it down with force is clunks. But everything works perfectly. I’m guessing that’s the part. Thank you for your help!

quick update, part recommended was not right. Apparently 98-02 (maybe 98-01) they went to a VGRS system and the dust seal I need won’t work. So I’m not back to finding the correct dust seal. Anyone know the right part?

Did this solve you issue? Experiencing something similar...
I'm struggling to understand how the boot would cause the clunk.

Small aside: Just for the folks who don't know, go to Partsouq and enter your VIN, then use the parts lookup to find what you need. It's quite specific, and while I'm sure there are mistakes in their system I haven't found one yet.

I'm struggling to understand how the boot would cause the clunk.

Small aside: Just for the folks who don't know, go to Partsouq and enter your VIN, then use the parts lookup to find what you need. It's quite specific, and while I'm sure there are mistakes in their system I haven't found one yet.
Thinking the boot acts as a support and keeps the shaft centered in place

Thinking the boot acts as a support and keeps the shaft centered in place

I have the booth but need to get it installed. I think my issue is elsewhere. I did find my upper SPC ball joint took a crap on me so I need to have them warranty that out and see if that fixes the thump.

I have the booth but need to get it installed. I think my issue is elsewhere. I did find my upper SPC ball joint took a crap on me so I need to have them warranty that out and see if that fixes the thump.
I have spc arms as well and one ball joint looks a little worn. Hopefully their cs is good.
Does the int shaft need to come out to replace the boot?

Last edited:
I have spc arms as well and one ball joint looks a little worn. Hopefully their cs is good.
Does the int shaft need to come out to replace the boot?

pound the top of the arm with your fist and see if you hear the noise. Mine was thumping and I need to warranty the joint out. For the seal I’ll try and remove the shaft but last time I pulled the steering column. What year is your rig?

pound the top of the arm with your fist and see if you hear the noise. Mine was thumping and I need to warranty the joint out. For the seal I’ll try and remove the shaft but last time I pulled the steering column. What year is your rig?
Its a 98, so looks like its not the boot but the other part no.?

If you need this (boot and new seal shoot me a DM. Didn’t work for my 04 as it has variable gear ratio) I’ll give you a deal
Okay, thanks for the offer. I’ll get under there this weekend to assess whats going on, and I’ll get back to you 👍🏼

Hey @molonlabemike — same question as logic...did it get resolved?

I'm chasing a very similar thing, but in my case a new steering rack definitely will not help. I'm wondering if it was something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom