Clutch Booster Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I recently purchased a 1/85 BJ70 3B. Let me preface that I'm not a mechanic. The guy that's working on my Cruiser is trying to replace the brake booster, but says he needs to remove the clutch booster first. Problem is the bolts are rusted solid, and he's been unable to loosen any of them. So, I've been tasked with tracking down a replacement clutch booster, "just in case". I've called some Toyota dealers, and been told the part has been discontinued (supposed part#31440-60040). Anyone know of an aftermarket one or a compatible one? I appreciate your help! Thanks, Michael

I had one shipped from China when I had the FJ73 via DHL. It turned out to be an exact copy. It was from www.fiverhope.com and the guy I dealt with at the time was willing to sell just one through paypal.

Of course OEM is best but that list of available OEM parts is shrinking day by day.

Thank you for the info! I was hoping to find something in the US, but might have to order from China.

LHD 70 series parts seem to be harder to find than RHD 70 series parts. Just a personal observation from owning both.

I had mine rebuilt by experts.
I bet someone on MUD has rebuilt their own.

I might have a few used one here

I had mine rebuilt by experts.
I bet someone on MUD has rebuilt their own.
Unfortunately, the bolts are rusted solid. Two weeks of adding penetrating oil and still no go. Probably won't survive pulling off to rebuild.

Do you have the vacuum actuated clutch booster or non? Have you tried cruiser connection(Kurt).? I got new brake and clutch I think from Kurt last year
I have not checked with Kurt. Thank you for the lead.

Buy a used one from simonliew.

Some cruisers never had a clutch booster so it may be possible to delete your but then you would probably have to deal with re-plumbing lines.

Some cruisers never had a clutch booster so it may be possible to delete your but then you would probably have to deal with re-plumbing lines.

If the clutch is heavy duty itself, I would keep the booster. Your leg would thank you for that.

If the clutch is heavy duty itself, I would keep the booster. Your leg would thank you for that.
I agree. I had a Dual friction Centerforce clutch in my old FJ40. It was awesome, but it took a bit of effort.

Mine blew up and I needed one in a pinch, so I snatched up an 80 series booster from a 93 with 4 bolts for the master. I had to extend the rod, but it bolted right up to the master. It's a little longer and a tight squeeze, but everything went back in. Had to run a longer vaccum hose that stretched around the left side, but all in all it was pretty easy and the dual diaphragm gives you a little extra shopping power. I had to just buy a reman from Autozone so who knows how long it'll last, but it's still in there today!
tempImagehujweR.png

Mine blew up and I needed one in a pinch, so I snatched up an 80 series booster from a 93 with 4 bolts for the master. I had to extend the rod, but it bolted right up to the master. It's a little longer and a tight squeeze, but everything went back in. Had to run a longer vaccum hose that stretched around the left side, but all in all it was pretty easy and the dual diaphragm gives you a little extra shopping power. I had to just buy a reman from Autozone so who knows how long it'll last, but it's still in there today!
View attachment 2646517
Was that the clutch booster or the brake booster you did that with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom