Tire Rotation--Is including the 5th tire (Spare) a bad thing --2019 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I told the dealer I want to rotate all Five tires (Spare) they told me it would affect the differential. Is this real? So including the spare on the rotation is bad? This is with Spartan Toyota in Lansing Michigan for my 25K service and Fuel Pump recall repair.

thanks for the input.

-Matt in Michigan

it could if the other tires are worn down, but it would be unlikely. a better question would be why rotate the spar into the mix unless you like buying 5 tires at once, dosnt really serve much purpose unless your only replacing 1 tire and working that in to save the cost on a tire and making an old one the spare

it could if the other tires are worn down, but it would be unlikely. a better question would be why rotate the spar into the mix unless you like buying 5 tires at once, dosnt really serve much purpose unless your only replacing 1 tire and working that in to save the cost on a tire and making an old one the spare
I replaced all the s*** Dunlop tires with Michelins, I replaced all five. I have five wheels the Ice snows as well.

I replaced all the s*** Dunlop tires with Michelins, I replaced all five. I have five wheels the Ice snows as well.
Which Michelin did you get? What size are those Michelin?

Which Michelin did you get? What size are those Michelin?
Hey there, I got the Latitude and the X Ice Snow for the 285-60-R18. I found a guy in Texas selling wheels at 80 a piece and bought five from him. I will be honest, the winter this year in Michigan was nothing and I did not even use the Snow Wheels I got. I am buying a place in the UP (Upper Peninsula) soon so I will use them for that locale for sure.

Hey there, I got the Latitude and the X Ice Snow for the 285-60-R18. I found a guy in Texas selling wheels at 80 a piece and bought five from him. I will be honest, the winter this year in Michigan was nothing and I did not even use the Snow Wheels I got. I am buying a place in the UP (Upper Peninsula) soon so I will use them for that locale for sue.
the Dunlops are so bad, they are scary at any speed over 80 miles an hour.

I do 5 tire rotations and there is no effect on the differentials. Don't believe anything Spartan tells you. I'll send you a PM about them.

I do 5 tire rotations and there is no effect on the differentials. Don't believe anything Spartan tells you. I'll send you a PM about them.
They did an oil change and I asked what torque they put on the drain plug and filter, the Techs looked at me like I was on drugs. I do the oil change on my Porsche 911 myself and I know it's 39 and 13 pounds each. for the 911. It was weird, they work on Rav4's all day, I don't think they knew what a cruiser costs.

They did an oil change and I asked what torque they put on the drain plug and filter, the Techs looked at me like I was on drugs. I do the oil change on my Porsche 911 myself and I know it's 39 and 13 pounds each. for the 911. It was weird, they work on Rav4's all day, I don't think they knew what a cruiser costs.
They probably think that they are changing oil on a Highlander….

Rotate all 5 and you’ll get 25% more mileage before replacement.

Also, if you get a flat at half tread life, you can throw the new one in the spare location and continue on rotating the other 4, vs putting one new tire with 3 worn, impacting differential (not really at these tread heights), and leaving you with a mismatched set when the other 3 wear out.

Then when you replace the 4, put the new one you stuck in the spare location into the mix and you are back to square one.

Also a spare left in place too long will dry rot.

I thought there was parity among the dealers in terms of quality of service, it sounds like Toyota hands off being a fiduciary.

I thought there was parity among the dealers in terms of quality of service, it sounds like Toyota hands off being a fiduciary.
Sorry peeps, I use silly, pretty language when I drink. I thought all Toyota dealers had the same quality standard in terms of parts and Tech standards. I have learned they do not. ( I do the oil filter and the oil change on my Porsche 911) for a reason. I never thought I would have to worry about the cruiser.

Sorry peeps, I use silly, pretty language when I drink. I thought all Toyota dealers had the same quality standard in terms of parts and Tech standards. I have learned they do not. ( I do the oil filter and the oil change on my Porsche 911) for a reason. I never thought I would have to worry about the cruiser.

I have 2 sets of BFG's tires and wheels, 17's and 20's. I have (5) 20's and use them for Spring, Summer and Fall. Every Spring my tire shop, that stores the 17" winter set up, rotates in the 20" spare with my hopes being they will all have somewhat even wear. The shop marks the tires so they are sure to get properly rotated each time. Hopefully I'll never get a flat but if I do it will be nice to know that the tire isn't dry rotted, has the correct air pressure and is not frozen on. The fact they are dropping the spare and re-installing a wheel and tire assures me that the spare system is working and lubricated. At my current rate of only about 5K miles a year, my two sets of wheels and tires should hopefully last a long time and have even wear on them. My shop recommended rotating the spare in when someone'd rig has full size matching wheels and tires.

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

It's definitely not a bad thing and not bad for the differential unless the tires you have are bald and the spare is brand new, then there might be an issue, but I think the 4WD system is stout enough to compensate for this. You have a full size spare. USE it. Then when you need it you know you'll be able to get it down, it has the proper pressure and the tread won't be too far off your other tires or dry-rotted. Toyota recommends it as well, but there are still some service managers that will charge you for the hassle of getting the spare down and all that. My local Toyota dealer does it free of charge. The Lexus dealer in Frederick, CO wants $25. I won't be going back there anytime soon.

I perform the rearward cross method above. I purchased my LX used and introduced the 5th tire after 15,000 miles on the clock. ZERO issues - dont worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom