remove the intake manifold to clean it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m desmogging and replacing hoses and such in route to the rear bumper of the 89 FJ62. Here we are at the intake and testing tps and such and wondering if I need to remove the intake to clean it. I have no idea how to keep crap out of the intakes without removal. Thanks for the feedback.

19FA43C4-0A20-4862-B166-4EDB287D7D30.jpeg

FYI. That’s where the throttle body attaches. The hole in the background is from the removed but not yet plugged EGR valve.

Luckily the 62 has a 2 piece intake design which makes it easier to remove than say an fj60 manifold.

it’s unlikely there is enough carbon buildup down in the runners to cause any performance issues but it won’t hurt anything to clean it. Last aluminum VW diesel intake I cleaned up I used kerosene and brushes for the inside.

Oh and be careful if you pull off the intake manifold. Likely before you know it you will have cleaned every square inch of the engine :)

Oh and be careful if you pull off the intake manifold. Likely before you know it you will have cleaned every square inch of the engine :)
Thanks for the warning..... there is about 1/4 inch of muddy oil all over the engine that calls my name every time I go in the garage.

I pulled mine this winter to remove the air injection rail and while off cleaned it inside and out. To keep it clean I ran the pcv and breather hose through catch cans. It was worth it to me.
I've run one for many years and it's been a great benefit as far as preventing buildup in my intake. I wish I would've taken pictures while I had my throttle body off last summer to show how clean my intake still was/is after more than ten years of running a PCV catch can.

I've run one for many years and it's been a great benefit as far as preventing buildup in my intake. I wish I would've taken pictures while I had my throttle body off last summer to show how clean my intake still was/is after more than ten years of running a PCV catch can.
Good tip. I’ve read some threads about these.

Well said.
Which 3oz one did you find?
Right now I'm using a modified moisture trap from Home Depot that I marked fluid levels on. I'll bet ordering a legitimate (much better looking too) one from Summit at some point soon though.

Last edited:
I just bought this one. It’s huge (15 oz) but I’m forgetful. D

View attachment 2647167
I like the idea of the sight hose on that, but given the size of it, having to unscrew a drain plug at the bottom could be messy and not just a little inconvenient to reach given the way our engine compartments are set up.

I've been wanting something similar to this Moroso I found on Summit, which holds 4.5oz and has a bowl you can easily unscrew to drain and wipe out. Not a fan of the $250 price tag on this particular one though.

I now have a larger capacity one inbound.
Really a great point about size as I filled my little one up on a 3 hour freeway speed trip.
Out of curiosity, what did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom