2011 LX570 New brakes / upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was time for new brakes. Normally I roll OEM rotors and pads and upgrade to stainless steel lines. I decided to try a different direction.

DBA Rotors T-Slot Uni-Directional Slotted Rotors - DBS42723S
DBA Rotors T-Slot Uni-Directional Slotted Rotors - DBS42722S
DBA SD610 Front Pads - DB1838SD
DBA SD610 Rear Pads - DB1857SD
StopTech SS Brake line kit - 950.44025
Centric Brake hardware kit - 117.44090
Centric Brake hardware kit - 117.44089
Amsoil brake fluid

The SD610 pad will have slightly less stopping power compared to the XP650 but will also have a lower dust level. The XP650 on the other hand will give you better stopping power but will be a high dusting brake pad. I went for less dust.

I know I am going from warn brakes to new brakes and I am being super easy on the for the first 1K miles, but initially I really like them and are super happy.

Need to paint the calipers next.

I have included a before and after.

IMG_0433.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

Why are you being easy? Bed them in and they’re done. 6x 40-2mph then 4x 60-2mph then full cool. Lots of ways and formulas.

Would you consider upgrading to BBK ? like brembo ? just out of curiosity question ,
Do you see any improvement of breaking performance ?

Would you consider upgrading to BBK ? like brembo ? just out of curiosity question ,
The brakes on the land cruiser are completely adequate for the application. The 2016+ brakes are bigger and work a bit better. With upgraded pads, I don’t think you are going to need an aftermarket BBK.

I defiately do see improvement in what i did. I would agree with CharlieS, the brades are adequate. That being said, it is a 6K pound vehicle and I have a 2011 so the fact that I could get more breaking without the cost of Brembo/BBK, I took it.

After 10 days, I would spend the money again if I had it to do over again.

I find upgraded pads good to about 33" tires. Beyond that and definitely for 35s, I'd recommend retrofitting larger Tundra rotors and calipers. Puts it on par with 2016+ brakes.

I find upgraded pads good to about 33" tires. Beyond that and definitely for 35s, I'd recommend retrofitting larger Tundra rotors and calipers. Puts it on par with 2016+ brakes.

I did look at that before I went the route I did. I was concerned about the front to rear balance. They system is designed to have a certain percentage of stopping happen from the front vs the rear. The question I couldn't answer with only upgradeing the front is does it throw that out of wack?

I did look at that before I went the route I did. I was concerned about the front to rear balance. They system is designed to have a certain percentage of stopping happen from the front vs the rear. The question I couldn't answer with only upgradeing the front is does it throw that out of wack?

Good thoughts and something I considered. Fortunately, there's some supporting reasons for increasing front bias when lifting and upsizing tires.

1) Lift/Upsized tires - When lifting or upsizing tires, it tends to increase the length of moment arm between the contact patch of the tires, and the center of mass of the vehicle. This has the effect of increasing weight transfer to the front axle. Or decreasing weight upon the rear axle. Congruent with upgrades that increase brake bias to the front axle.

2) Coming from the road racing as a hobby, where a common upgrade is front only BBKs. Couple things: a) Hard braking with sticky tires again increases weight transfer forward b) Modern ABS systems are great at managing any lockup front or rear, mitigating bias changes and threshold braking to a degree.

3) 2016+ only get upsized fronts. Rear have limited heat capacity and have been known to run hotter and fade first.

@TeCKis300 , I'm running the Icon 17" wheels with what I assume are stock rotors. I'm about 98% certain the previous owner would not have modded ANYTHING. I went with the Icon's because they are one of the few 17" wheels that fit on the LX/LC stock rotors. So, my question is this: Is it possible to upgrade to the larger rotors/calipers and keep the 17" Icons?

@TeCKis300 , I'm running the Icon 17" wheels with what I assume are stock rotors. I'm about 98% certain the previous owner would not have modded ANYTHING. I went with the Icon's because they are one of the few 17" wheels that fit on the LX/LC stock rotors. So, my question is this: Is it possible to upgrade to the larger rotors/calipers and keep the 17" Icons?

I wouldn't be able to say but perhaps there's a good chance it can work.

May want to check out Tundra forums to see if they run this wheel? I'd bet most of these wheels are made for Tundra compatibility, and if they work for the Tundra, will likely work for the 200-series fitted with Tundra brakes.

Could also see if any 16+ cruiser owners run this wheel and that would be a another good indicator it can work.

I did a very similar upgrade on my 100 and I will not be upgrading brakes ever again. The upgraded rotors and pads did not last very long and I couldn't tell the difference anyway. Im going OEM from now on with brakes.

Plus I drive mountain passes with a trailer (its a raft trailer so it doesn't have brakes so my truck brakes get worked hard) constantly, so I end up having to get new brakes more frequently than most, and I don't want the extra cost involved.

My brake upgrade is a full EBC kit that has lasted over 60k miles, approximately 1/2 on 33s and 1/2 on 34s.
Greatly improved braking.100% will do again.

My brake upgrade is a full EBC kit that has lasted over 60k miles, approximately 1/2 on 33s and 1/2 on 34s.
Greatly improved braking.100% will do again.
Which flavor of EBC pad? Drilled rotors or just slotted?

So a couple of months in and a overland trip from AZ up the CA and OR coast. Across to Boise, down thru SLC and back down to AZ. Brakes worked fantastic. I'd do it again, but look into upgrading the front calipers, because more braking is always better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom