Fj60 steering box fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, i have a pretty specific question ive been doing research on and need some opinions.

I have a 66' land rover that is on land cruiser axles and is using an fj60 steering box for ps conversion. I am running a 2.0l vw tdi as the power plant.

I bought the box used, owner said it didn't leak... But of course its leaking and the steering feels pretty heavy. Not sure how light fj60 steering is when its working properly but it felt pretty heavy to me in my application.

Anyway, since I'm using the tdi motor i kept the vw pump on it, according to info ive read it makes around 1300-1500psi which i think is fine for the fj60 box? Another concern is that the vw pumps are very strict about not using atf and instead using a fancy and expensive chf fluid which is green. I am using that as i dont want to kill the pump.

Do you think using that fluid instead of atf (which i believe fj60 calls for) is the cause for the leak and poor feeling ps? Or is atf just recommended for the pump on a 60?

I am bringing the box in to get rebuilt today, but wanted to see what you all thought in this situation.

Sorry for the long write up, and thank you!

The fj60 uses ATF. However, I have run regular power steering fluid through it for years now because I didn’t realize it called for atf. I have some slow leaks that don’t pool anywhere. I do plan to rebuild that entire system. The steering is pretty light, though on colder days it takes a few moments to get the stiffness to relax.

I believe the issue is with the seals and comparability with different fluids. It seems like you’ve run into an issue with having two different systems running. A popular PS upgrade for the land cruiser is a Saginaw swap. There’s a bracket that mounts to the head bolt and allows you to run a common Saginaw pump. As far as I know it still takes ATF.

If I were in your shoes I would look to match the pump and box to the recommended fluid type and have all the seals replaced.

ATF for toyota ps pump and gear box. 1300 to 1500 is high, I think toyota ps pump is around 800psi and saginaw is around 1200psi. Sagninaw conversion is popular and the gear box can handle it. Can you adapt a saginaw pump to your bracket? This guy makes an adapter kit for a toyota bracket: Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/finally-saginaw-ps-pump-conversion-kit-for-fj60s.906031/

I am running ATF in my saginaw pump even though the manufacturer recommends ps fluid. So far it's doing fine.

I believe @OSS said his toyota gear box groaned and didn't like ps fluid so he switched back to ATF.

so your vehicle is German, British and Japanese...a real mongrel!!

Thanks guys! Yeah it really is a mongrel, it upsets the rover guys a lot haha.

Ive read about the saginaw set up before but just stuck with the vw pump thinking it would be fine. Im sure i could rig up a saginaw set up, just really dont want to! But here i am about to pay to get the box rebuilt, wondering if i should get the saginaw pump and be done with it. Or i could just stick atf in and see how long the vw pump lasts. But then the psi might be an issue?

The joys of Frankenstein builds i suppose...

Also space is an issue for the pump as its quite close to the frame rail, the saginaw pump is quite a lot bigger than the vw pump i think so that could be an issue as well.

Also space is an issue for the pump as its quite close to the frame rail, the saginaw pump is quite a lot bigger than the vw pump i think so that could be an issue as well.
It might be one of those things that works but you’ll have to replace gaskets more frequently. But since you’re hacking all kinds cars up I don’t think that’s a super big concern for you.

I can’t see how Pentosin CHF would hurt the toyota box. But you’d really want to flush all the old atf out. You could try Amsoil’s synthetic power steering fluid. See how long the VW pump can live on it?

I think @TRAIL TAILOR has or had some sort of pressure reducing fitting that he was using with the Saginaw pumps.

Did the box work and stay sealed for any period of time when you first started driving? If it immediately started having issues I would maybe try a another box (known good/tested on a actual vehicle preferably) before going to crazy.
80 boxes work as well.

I don’t think you’ll hurt with with ether those pressures or that fluid. The fluid might be your issue but I doubt it.

I can’t see how Pentosin CHF would hurt the toyota box. But you’d really want to flush all the old atf out. You could try Amsoil’s synthetic power steering fluid. See how long the VW pump can live on it?

I think @TRAIL TAILOR has or had some sort of pressure reducing fitting that he was using with the Saginaw pumps.
Yeah that's sort of what im thinking. I always thought the main issue with fluids was on the pump end, not so much on the box, to a point at least. I will look into pressure reducing fittings though, thank you. Still not really 100 percent on how much psi a fj60 box can handle.

Did the box work and stay sealed for any period of time when you first started driving? If it immediately started having issues I would maybe try a another box (known good/tested on a actual vehicle preferably) before going to crazy.
80 boxes work as well.

I don’t think you’ll hurt with with ether those pressures or that fluid. The fluid might be your issue but I doubt it.
It was kind of strange, every time i started it up and let it idle, turned the wheels etc for a few minutes there were no leaks i could see, then after a few minutes itd drop a big puddle of fluid. Not sure if thats due to the fluid heating up a bit or something. Either way it leaked pretty much every time after the same timeframe and i couldn't find where it was leaking from. I dropped the box off to be rebuilt today, hoping it was just an old cruddy box. I got it off ebay for 200 bucks, seller said it didn't leak, but thats the way it goes.

I don't think you need any kind of pressure reducer or anything like that. If anything it should work better with higher pressure

Thats what i was hoping for but wasn't sure how much the box can take. Was afraid i was blowing the seals out or something.
Some people add hydraulic assist to the fj60 gear box when they’re running tires larger than 33”. They can take a lot of abuse.

Some people add hydraulic assist to the fj60 gear box when they’re running tires larger than 33”. They can take a lot of abuse.

Just saying hydraulic assist actually doesn’t require anything hydraulically of the box and in fact actually takes almost all the steering load OFF the box internals itself. The box is just directing the fluid in a hydro assist setup.

And “blowing the seals out” with a pump capable of higher pressure is old myth

Just saying hydraulic assist actually doesn’t require anything hydraulically of the box and in fact actually takes almost all the steering load OFF the box internals itself. The box is just directing the fluid in a hydro assist setup.

And “blowing the seals out” with a pump capable of higher pressure is old myth
Alright, im learning a lot in here. Overall seems like i should be okay if my rebuilt box is done well . Probably all due to using an old leaky one that i knew no history of. Thank you!

Alright, im learning a lot in here. Overall seems like i should be okay if my rebuilt box is done well . Probably all due to using an old leaky one that i knew no history of. Thank you!
You know, it’s frowned upon to leave us without a picture of your truck. Land cruiser or not...

You know, it’s frowned upon to leave us without a picture of your truck. Land cruiser or not...
Oh i wasnt sure if id get booed off the forum haha. Here she is! 1966 Long wheel base, 2.0l tdi, nv3550 trans and rover t case. Fj axles and steering. Galvanized frame with the original aluminum body.

IMG_20210309_155703_772.jpg

I like that a lot. Really cool build. Neat that you didn’t just put it on a defender chassis like everyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom