Do I really need to pull apart the entire dash/steering column/AC to get to airbag computer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace/reset the airbag comp in my 2008 TLC (aka "center airbag sensor"). It looks like the Toyota FSM is telling me that for a 2007 mfg date US model, I need to remove the entire AC unit from the vehicle, which involves not only draining the coolant and discharging the AC system, but also pulling apart the entire front dash, steering column, center console, etc. Is this for real??? Just to access the SRS computer? Please God someone tell me there's an easier way or I'm looking at the wrong manual or something!

croozr1.jpg

croozr3.jpg

croozr4.jpg

croozr5.jpg

croozr6.jpg

For anyone else reading this in the future, I called my local dealer and after describing the process, the service manager said, "Yep, that sounds about right." So here we go.....not sure how I'm gunna recapture the damn refrigerant, may have to call a tech out for that part. I'll update if I discover anything that doesn't jive with this process, but as for now, looks like the FSM is correct and I've got a loooong day or work in front of me.

Do you have a cool box?
Do you have to remove the srs computer to reset it? Are you sure it can be reset vis tech stream?

Do you have a cool box?
Do you have to remove the srs computer to reset it? Are you sure it can be reset vis tech stream?

I do indeed have a cool box. I would LOVE if it could be reset with a Techstream!! Are these only available at dealerships? I'll have to find someone who's willing to reset airbag comp on a current salvage title vehicle with side curtain bags deployed. FSM says it's technically supposed to be replaced.

Wow, big job! While you're in there, check to see if the HVAC RECIRC/FRESH door mechanism works. If it doesn't, it would be a good time to replace the blower assembly that includes that mechanism. Several have been broken by lifting the door by hand instead of using the RECIRC button to access the cabin filter.

Wow, big job! While you're in there, check to see if the HVAC RECIRC/FRESH door mechanism works. If it doesn't, it would be a good time to replace the blower assembly that includes that mechanism. Several have been broken by lifting the door by hand instead of using the RECIRC button to access the cabin filter.

Good tip! Thanks! I'll definitely do that! Anything else I should do while all this is pulled apart? Nearly every single interior trim piece + headliner will be pulled too (for seat belts and airbags)....so I'm running some extra wiring (will eventually add light bars, 360 cameras, upgraded sub, maybe some misc junk). Pretty much the entire damn interior will be pulled apart 😂

I do indeed have a cool box. I would LOVE if it could be reset with a Techstream!! Are these only available at dealerships? I'll have to find someone who's willing to reset airbag comp on a current salvage title vehicle with side curtain bags deployed. FSM says it's technically supposed to be replaced.
Techstream is available to ordinary mortals too. Run a search on here for the latest info on what to buy. It seems like that might be useful for you project, even if the SRS computer has to be replaced anyway.

Do you have a cool box?

Just confirmed airbag comp cannot be reset with Techstream. The actual physical IC with programming on it needs to be pulled and reset......or entire module replaced (Toyota FSM's recommendation).

Toyota is famous for having complex service procedures that can sometimes be vastly simplified.

If I were you I’d be getting eyes on exactly where that thing is before ripping the AC apart at least. Even if you have to remove the dash shell as long as you document all of your fasteners and harness connections it isn’t as bad as having to deal with AC evac/fill/leak prevent.

Toyota is famous for having complex service procedures that can sometimes be vastly simplified.

If I were you I’d be getting eyes on exactly where that thing is before ripping the AC apart at least. Even if you have to remove the dash shell as long as you document all of your fasteners and harness connections it isn’t as bad as having to deal with AC evac/fill/leak prevent.
Man, I've scoured the FSM, can't find the specific location of this damn thing. Is there an exploded diagram somewhere that might show it? Yeah, I'd really, really like to avoid pulling the AC if possible.

E47 in this diagram
It is called 'center airbag sensor assembly'

This is a picture from an 2009 LX

Maybe pull the ashtray and see what you're up against?

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.49.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.52.13 AM.png

Attachments

• Center airbag assembly.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
E47 in this diagram
It is called 'center airbag sensor assembly'

This is a picture from an 2009 LX

Maybe pull the ashtray and see what you're up against?

View attachment 2644358

View attachment 2644359

Ohhhhhh man! So close, yet so far!! This is super helpful! Where did you find this? I'll definitely try getting in that way first. I have a feeling with a little luck and ingenuity, some swivel adapters, maybe a bendy extension and lots of swearing I can get that thing out without disassembling half of the damn vehicle lol I'll letcha know how it goes! Thanks a ton!

Ohhhhhh man! So close, yet so far!! This is super helpful! Where did you find this? I'll definitely try getting in that way first. I have a feeling with a little luck and ingenuity, some swivel adapters, maybe a bendy extension and lots of swearing I can get that thing out without disassembling half of the damn vehicle lol I'll letcha know how it goes! Thanks a ton!
Electrical section of FSM

I didn’t consider the airbag ecu would also be the main sensor assembly. Yes those are usually bolted firmly to a central location (aka trans tunnel) to accurately provide overall vehicle G-force information as well as protect them from getting quickly demolished in an accident.

Could be different parts for sure.I just was tracing the wires back. There is an ecu diagram I’ve seen somewhere . . .

Could be different parts for sure.I just was tracing the wires back. There is an ecu diagram I’ve seen somewhere . . .
The "Center Airbag Sensor" is definitely the main SRS brain. If you check the FSM, it controls all the other airbags and communicates with the ECU. The other sensors are just sensors. I'm guessing they're intentionally making it a bit ambiguous to prevent folks who don't know what they're doing from tinkering with the system.

The diagrams show the Center Airbag Sensor communicating in between the various feeder systems and the ECU. For example, pre-collions, fuel cut, etc. I think this is the 'SRS ECU' for all intents and purposes.
Here it is on the ECU map I remembered seeing.
This for the 'New Car Guide'

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 12.35.00 PM.png

Update: I WAS able to pull the "center airbag sensor" WITHOUT removing the dash, steering wheel/column, AC, etc as stated in the factory service manual. I did have to pull out the stereo, air vents, top trim for center console and some misc odds and ends. This exposed the center airbag sensor. The front bolt (12mm) was easy to remove, the rear two were a different story. One was accessible from the side through a little access area by the passenger kick plate/leg padding/whatever area. The third one (driver's side closest to front firewall) was tough to access without a really long wrench. I picked up a set of HF ICON super long double box end reversible ratcheting metric wrenches....that made it a breeze to pull off the last bolt (had to pull computer module so it would make contact with the bolt during removal, otherwise ratcheting mechanism wouldn't ratchet). Similar sets sell on Amazon under the name Mountain 5-piece double box end ratcheting wrench set. I'd recommend the HF ones because even though the Mountain brand has a lifetime warranty, good luck actually getting it honored. After the third bolt was removed, had to pull the Yaw Rate Sensor to make enough room to detach the big yellow connector and pull out the airbag comp.

Airbag comp and seatbelts are currently on their way to SafetyRestore for refurb.

When they return, I WILL UPLOAD A VIDEO SHOWING THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF REMOVAL, REFURB AND RE-INSTALL.

Hopefully this will save someone in the future A LOT of hassle and headache....turned a 8-12 hour job + specialized equipment for AC removal/recharge into a 1-2 hour job with basic tools.

Getting that third, tough to access bolt back in upon reinstall will be a little tough, but I've got a few ideas to make it happen, and a worst-case-scenario backup plan that will definitely work if all else fails. Again, I'll upload a complete video when the job is done and the refurb'ed SRS comp is reinstalled.

Thanks again for the help everyone! Very much appreciated!

keywords airbag computer, airbag ecu, srs computer, airbag sensor, airbag controller, Land Cruiser 200 series, Land Cruiser 2008-2021, TLC, Toyota Land Cruiser

20210415_192649.jpg

Update: I WAS able to pull the "center airbag sensor" WITHOUT removing the dash, steering wheel/column, AC, etc as stated in the factory service manual. I did have to pull out the stereo, air vents, top trim for center console and some misc odds and ends. This exposed the center airbag sensor. The front bolt (12mm) was easy to remove, the rear two were a different story. One was accessible from the side through a little access area by the passenger kick plate/leg padding/whatever area. The third one (driver's side closest to front firewall) was tough to access without a really long wrench. I picked up a set of HF ICON super long double box end reversible ratcheting metric wrenches....that made it a breeze to pull off the last bolt (had to pull computer module so it would make contact with the bolt during removal, otherwise ratcheting mechanism wouldn't ratchet). Similar sets sell on Amazon under the name Mountain 5-piece double box end ratcheting wrench set. I'd recommend the HF ones because even though the Mountain brand has a lifetime warranty, good luck actually getting it honored. After the third bolt was removed, had to pull the Yaw Rate Sensor to make enough room to detach the big yellow connector and pull out the airbag comp.

Airbag comp and seatbelts are currently on their way to SafetyRestore for refurb.

When they return, I WILL UPLOAD A VIDEO SHOWING THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF REMOVAL, REFURB AND RE-INSTALL.

Hopefully this will save someone in the future A LOT of hassle and headache....turned a 8-12 hour job + specialized equipment for AC removal/recharge into a 1-2 hour job with basic tools.

Getting that third, tough to access bolt back in upon reinstall will be a little tough, but I've got a few ideas to make it happen, and a worst-case-scenario backup plan that will definitely work if all else fails. Again, I'll upload a complete video when the job is done and the refurb'ed SRS comp is reinstalled.

Thanks again for the help everyone! Very much appreciated!

keywords airbag computer, airbag ecu, srs computer, airbag sensor, airbag controller, Land Cruiser 200 series, Land Cruiser 2008-2021, TLC, Toyota Land Cruiser

View attachment 2651450
Nice work, and thanks for the update. Even if I never do this I'd be very happy to have that video posted here to help with the knowledge base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom