Midnight Marauder 2017 GX Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, new owner here, i bought this 2017 GX Luxury. I'd like to thank this community for helping me find the right GX.

IMG_0428.jpeg

Previously owned a 2013 VW GTI Autobahn, and i've had a 2020 Rav4 for a year (wife's ride now).

Snagged the GX 3 weeks ago. Again, I can't thank this forum enough for all of the great info and inspiration!

Anyway, finally took it off road in the Texas hill country where i own some property, that's why i bought it, I need to get around out there with no worries. Anyway, what a ride, i mean seriously, the bumps and holes are just gobbled up with this thing. The only bumping i heard was Mark Levinson all day.

I'll be blacking out most of the chrome. Currently learning how to work with vinyl, many mistakes, but i'm getting the hang of it.

IMG_0474.jpeg

Hyper Dipped the window trim. Haven't started on the grille yet, but that's next on my list.
IMG_0583.jpeg

I'd like to keep the suspension stock for now. Not planning any crazy rock crawling or super intense trails... at least at this point.....

Plans:
TRD Pro Wheels (in hand)
Window tint
Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires 265/70 e or c load (guy at discount says they are backordered?!)
Roof Rack Prinsu or Victory style
Sport Tail Lights
Rear Door Table (might build this, might buy it)

Savage Future Plans:
Lift
CBI front bumper

I'm not familiar with Hyper Dip and looked it up. I saw it is a product of Plasti Dip. My question is what's the difference between Hyper Dip and Plasti Dip?

I have only used the hyper dip so not sure about the differences, supposed to be very similar, but this black (which is supposed to be darker than black Plasti Dip) matched my 3m vinyl pretty closely. So much easier than vinyl also. I am going to wrap the grille in vinyl, but if it gives me fits I'll just hyper dip it. Hopefully it lasts, we shall see.

Reactions: r2m
Nice GX. How do you plan to get to Sport Red Tail lights? I plan to use red vinyl to get the "sport red" look, but I am open to options. My mild build plans are similar.

Build: Window tint (done), Red Tail Lights, Crawl Control and MTS upgrades in hand/not installed. Shift Power Throttle Control in hand/not installed.
2" Lift plans: Airbag Sensor Trick by "Mr Garage" (plan 3/4" rear and 2" front) Airbags to give me another inch if needed.
Options: Old Man Emu or Fox front springs and shocks; Timbren Rear Bumpers under consideration to protect air suspension.
Wheels/Tires: FN xPro wheels 17"x8" with +1 Winter/Snow Bridgestone Blizzak 265/70/17 (This size works great on my 4Runner for elk & bear hunting in the snow)
Cargo: Rear hitch carrier; modified with a dog leg to sit 3” higher (no drag); carries a small elk or deer.
Rock Sliders: Victory or RSG; I like the integrated lights in Victory and the rear bump-out feature in the RSG.

@SkiBikePlay oh man that lift is about perfect for what I want too!

not sure how to get the sport red look exactly. I'd like oem sport lights, but the price makes it hard to justify. Not sure if there's a market for the clear lights either to recoup some of that cost. I might try vinyl, but another option is this red spray paint that I've seen people use. It looks pretty good, but not sure about long term and you can't just peel it if it doesn't work...

Amazon product ASIN B005257R0O

Hey folks, new owner here, i bought this 2017 GX Luxury. I'd like to thank this community for helping me find the right GX.

View attachment 2643615

Previously owned a 2013 VW GTI Autobahn, and i've had a 2020 Rav4 for a year (wife's ride now).

Snagged the GX 3 weeks ago. Again, I can't thank this forum enough for all of the great info and inspiration!

Anyway, finally took it off road in the Texas hill country where i own some property, that's why i bought it, I need to get around out there with no worries. Anyway, what a ride, i mean seriously, the bumps and holes are just gobbled up with this thing. The only bumping i heard was Mark Levinson all day.

I'll be blacking out most of the chrome. Currently learning how to work with vinyl, many mistakes, but i'm getting the hang of it.

View attachment 2643616
Hyper Dipped the window trim. Haven't started on the grille yet, but that's next on my list.
View attachment 2643618

I'd like to keep the suspension stock for now. Not planning any crazy rock crawling or super intense trails... at least at this point.....

Plans:
TRD Pro Wheels (in hand)
Window tint
Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires 265/70 e or c load (guy at discount says they are backordered?!)
Roof Rack Prinsu or Victory style
Sport Tail Lights
Rear Door Table (might build this, might buy it)

Savage Future Plans:
Lift
CBI front bumper

Congrats and welcome! You're not only gonna love the GX but those tires are freaking brilliant. I have them on both my GX's in that same size (but 17") and I love them.

loving it so far, 36k and super well taken care of by the previous owner. Still have about 6 months of warranty left on it too.

Yea, @MrTorgue I believe your posts about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are one of the reasons I'm waiting on them! they've been on backorder 2 weeks so far at my discount tire, sucks, but I don't want to go with anything else, so I'll wait. Impatiently.

loving it so far, 36k and super well taken care of by the previous owner. Still have about 6 months of warranty left on it too.

Yea, @MrTorgue I believe your posts about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers are one of the reasons I'm waiting on them! they've been on backorder 2 weeks so far at my discount tire, sucks, but I don't want to go with anything else, so I'll wait. Impatiently.

Are you planning on trimming or replacing the running boards with sliders? You may rub in a couple of places.

well, I don't believe I'll have to with the trd pro and that 265/70, but if I do have to I will

well, I don't believe I'll have to with the trd pro and that 265/70, but if I do have to I will

Hopefully you're gonna be better off than I was. I rubbed in two places, and the main area was one of the running board bolts.

I have only used the hyper dip so not sure about the differences, supposed to be very similar, but this black (which is supposed to be darker than black Plasti Dip) matched my 3m vinyl pretty closely. So much easier than vinyl also. I am going to wrap the grille in vinyl, but if it gives me fits I'll just hyper dip it. Hopefully it lasts, we shall see.
My Hyperdip has lasted months and months with weekly trips to the drive through car wash. Great product so far.

My Hyperdip has lasted months and months with weekly trips to the drive through car wash. Great product so far.
Heck, the black Plastidip I put on my FJ's bumper has lasted 5 years so far. But I don't do weekly washes, more like monthly lol.

Love how the trim and door handles came out. I'm just starting on a mild build on my 2012 GX and was thinking of doing this. What color HyperDip did you use?

I used the shadow black hyper dip only on the window trim. the door handles, and other chrome is vinyl, I used 3m 2080 s12 satin black and it's pretty damn close in color and shine to the hyper dip.

the damn driver's door is bubbled up, I don't know how I messed that one up, I saved it for last because I thought I'd have the hang of it by the time I got to it. but hell no, so I have to redo that one, but man after using the hyper dip I'm really considering using it on the grille. It's so damn easy compared to vinyl

Phase one is almost complete. Vinyl is done, I still suck at applying it though, surrounding grill piece needs to be redone, but I can live with it for a little while.
IMG_0797.jpeg

Installed the sport lights. Not the cheapest option, but looks the best for what I wanted.
IMG_0798.jpeg

And the Nitto tires finally came in (4 weeks on backorder) so new wheels and tires.
IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

I'm rubbing. I can't tell where exactly, but hope it's just the infamous bolt. Anybody else running trd pros with 265/70 ridge grapplers?

It clears everything on normal turns, it happens when I am on a slope or braking hard and I haven't had it happen in a spot where I can get out and look. I guess the thing to do is replace that bolt with a flatter headed bolt, then see if it still happens.

Scared the s*** out of me the first time though. How do people go about finding where the rub is happening? @MrTorgue how much hacking did you have to do?

IMG_0890.jpeg

Might be that inside bolt/trim piece or the front liner. You can put some blue painters tape where you think it’s rubbing and test it out. You’ll know if the tape gets scratched/lifted.

I'm rubbing. I can't tell where exactly, but hope it's just the infamous bolt. Anybody else running trd pros with 265/70 ridge grapplers?

It clears everything on normal turns, it happens when I am on a slope or braking hard and I haven't had it happen in a spot where I can get out and look. I guess the thing to do is replace that bolt with a flatter headed bolt, then see if it still happens.

Scared the s*** out of me the first time though. How do people go about finding where the rub is happening? @MrTorgue how much hacking did you have to do?

View attachment 2679265
I rubbed on the bolt head for the running boards. Once I took off my running boards my rubbing stopped.

You running 18” or 17” wheels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom