Axle breather extension ... Lots of pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
So this is a one banana job only took me around 4 hours to do this and I've never done it on a vehicle before.

I started at the rear which in my opinion was a little more difficult because I wanted to extend the axle breather all the way up to where the gas filler cap was located.

The factory front and rear axle breathers are fantastic with the exception that they are a one-way check valve so when the differential heats up and a little bit of pressure builds up inside it can vent that pressure but when the differential cools back off the check valve closes and you wind up with a little bit of a vacuum. Depending on several factors you potentially could suck water in from your axle seals because of this check valve style breather. So in the rear because I didn't tie it into the front breather I use just a simple lawn mower fuel filter to keep dirt and dust particles from working their way into the differential housing.

received_819891995606099.jpeg

Screenshot_20210411-232258.png

Screenshot_20210411-232319.png

So now at least in the rear I could potentially get into water all the way up to the fuel door without worrying about water getting into the rear differential

The transmission and center diff breathers connect to two hard lines attached to the transmission dipstick tube.
Screenshot_20210411-232429.png

Screenshot_20210411-232440.png

So after removing them I got some vacuum caps and plugged the hard lines because I wasn't able to see if they connected inside the transmission dipstick or if they were just attached to it with a bracket so to prevent any dust from potentially getting inside the dipstick tube I isolated it.
Screenshot_20210411-232453.png

So after having all three lines up on the firewall where I decided to mount the manifold I wanted to keep the lines in place so they wouldn't chafe and rub so I used zip ties to hold them in place before connecting them to the manifold.
Screenshot_20210411-232514.png

Screenshot_20210411-232526.png

I think it turned out looking pretty good and if you wouldn't know what they are it looks like it's a stock oe part
Screenshot_20210411-232536.png

All right what are you guys think?
Hopefully somebody else interested in doing the same job can look at this and realize it's not that hard and maybe they can get help from it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up! This is in my short list of mods to do and I hadn't even considered running the rear breather up to the gas cap.

Looks great. I've considered this as well but in typical land cruiser fashion the stock breather locations seems to be well thought out and are in pretty good placed. I can't imagine I would ever been submerged in that much water where the stock breathers would be under.

I did end up replacing the stock breathers with new ones as the originals seemed a bit crusty / sticking.

Double check the inner diameter of your new rear diff breather hose-that it is > greater ID than the hose you removed. Some have installed a larger barb fitting into the axle housing.

With that long run up to the fuel door- that actually may create an air flow restriction- a vacuum effect of sorts. The longer the hose run for a constant ID, the more restrictive it becomes. It may be fine but make sure it breathes well.

Double check the inner diameter of your new rear diff breather hose-that it is > greater ID than the hose you removed. Some have installed a larger barb fitting into the axle housing.

With that long run up to the fuel door- that actually may create an air flow restriction- a vacuum effect of sorts. The longer the hose run for a constant ID, the more restrictive it becomes. It may be fine but make sure it breathes well.
With each connection I made I would blow into it as hard as I could and I could feel it blow back at me and I used soapy water at all the connections to make sure I didn't have any leaks

So after having all three lines up on the firewall where I decided to mount the manifold I wanted to keep the lines in place so they wouldn't chafe and rub so I used zip ties to hold them in place before connecting them to the manifold.
what manifold did you use?

The ground wire you tied too, near fire wall, may not be best choice. The wire house blocks clip break very easy with age. You may shorten it's life, than bouncing may disconnect ground. The hard brake line on fire wall or a bracket hung on bolt already there may be better long solution.

The ground wire you tied too, near fire wall, may not be best choice. The wire house blocks clip break very easy with age. You may shorten it's life, than bouncing may disconnect ground. The hard brake line on fire wall or a bracket hung on bolt already there may be better long solution.
Good idea I didn't even think about that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom