1kz violent shutoff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just took my kzj78 into the mechanic for the valve cover gasket and also the crossover pipe/ turbo inlet gasket I believe it’s called, I provided both the gaskets and got them from cruiser outfitters so I’m certain they’re the right ones, but from the minute I got the truck back it now has a super violent shutoff. Whole engine shakes and there’s a noise, not sure where it’s coming from yet, obviously this could indicate motor mounts but I’m just not sure why this would suddenly start after being fine and especially right when it’s back from the mechanic. Is there something they could’ve done wrong to cause this to start? Maybe just a coincidence

I would be taking it back to the mechanic and firmly telling him its his baby. I suspect he has knocked something on the injection pump. It helps if you tell us the exact model and year.

I would be taking it back to the mechanic and firmly telling him its his baby. I suspect he has knocked something on the injection pump. It helps if you tell us the exact model and year.
Just curious, what makes you think injection pump? And I just might take it back in, it’s still happening

Just curious, what makes you think injection pump? And I just might take it back in, it’s still happening
Im not a full bottle on these engines but like all diesels they must shutdown by stopping the fuel supply to the engine. I said injection pump, maybe I should have said the vacuum system that helps shut off the air .
A loose vacuum hose shouldn't be too hard to find

Engine mounts are a possibility. My experience with broken engine mounts says the gearstick or shifter usually moves around as you accelerate.
Engine mounts usually break after a sudden shock to them, like letting the clutch out fast or some other form of abuse
Or they go soft from an oil leak that's been dripping onto them for a long time.
Broken engine mounts are an easy diagnosis, you just lever the engine to force the mounts apart or jack the engine up a little .
Either way you can see a split in the rubber once the load is taken off them.

But I think its something to do with the engine shutdown

mine is violent to shut down, combination of oil soaked engine mounts and the fact all the egr butterfly crap is all disconnected and removed which causes rough shut down, it shakes so bad its actually polishing my intercooler pipe on the soundproofing of the bonnet
check all the stuff around the throttle body I guess as well, make sure its all connected and working

No knowledge of 1kz, but I have a BMW 335d diesel that had the same symptoms. There is a throttle body with a butterfly valve on it. Its only job is to close when the engine is shut down. This serves 2 functions. Prevents run-away in case of a blown turbo compressor seal (or other outside fuel source) and smooths the engine at shutdown.

Mine failed and it went from a shut-down as smooth as any gasoline engine, to a shut-down that was very rough. Like an old school diesel. Much more tractor than passenger vehicle.

Replaced the valve and all was smooth again.

Check to see if you have a throttle (sometimes called an anti-shudder valve) and make sure the shop didn't leave it disconnected.

If you google "violent shutdowns with diesels" of all types, its nearly always the vacuum not closing the butterfly valves properly. For some reason many diesels don't need the shutdown smoothed out.

No knowledge of 1kz, but I have a BMW 335d diesel that had the same symptoms. There is a throttle body with a butterfly valve on it. Its only job is to close when the engine is shut down. This serves 2 functions. Prevents run-away in case of a blown turbo compressor seal (or other outside fuel source) and smooths the engine at shutdown.

Mine failed and it went from a shut-down as smooth as any gasoline engine, to a shut-down that was very rough. Like an old school diesel. Much more tractor than passenger vehicle.

Replaced the valve and all was smooth again.

Check to see if you have a throttle (sometimes called an anti-shudder valve) and make sure the shop didn't leave it disconnected.
I think you’re on to something, i doubt it’s engine mounts because there’s no extra shake when I’m turning on the engine or driving or anything that wasn’t there before.

After taking videos and looking around at what’s happening during shutoff, there’s a little clunk sound. It happens right as this like black piece spins I think?? I’ll show a photo, it’s the part circled. Is that possible the butterfly valve?

1191718B-BBC7-4ECA-A3FD-7D41E9AACB7E.jpeg

You could pull it off and have a look.

1618790571247.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom