Warn winch 8274 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
Where do y’all get an 8274? I don’t want to spend 2500 bucks on an old winch that was sold for a trillion years. Is eBay or Craigslist a place to look? I am also unsure about what to look for and what to avoid. Advice?

I have no experience with the 8274 however I have read on this forum many times where someone bought one used on eBay, cragslist, etc. for a good price and refurbished it. Others will have to chime in on what to avoid and or look for.

Google’s your friend. Many threads on this.

Where do y’all get an 8274? I don’t want to spend 2500 bucks on an old winch that was sold for a trillion years. Is eBay or Craigslist a place to look? I am also unsure about what to look for and what to avoid. Advice?

I got mine for $200 or 300 on Craiglist.

They're pretty simple pieces of machinery; you can put power straight to the motor with jumper cables and see if it turns. The control solenoids are the just about the only other things that can be bad. All the parts necessary to rebuild them are still available. There are some really good rebuilding threads with photos and instructions in the Winching and Recovery sub-forum.

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/

Wiring an 8274 + Albright - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wiring-an-8274-albright.485518/

i got mine with a 9.5xp motor not installed for $400. i just needed a gear and then decided to get an albright contractor for it. rebuilt it for about $100. now looking for a synthetic winch rope that won’t break the bank. but it’s very doable for not too much money. just have to keep your eyes open. better if you can find one that’s had a drain plug and fill plug added as you can’t change the oil without splitting the case otherwise. mine had it already done!
1618100537896.jpeg

There was a guy on the Facebook group that had a few he was rebuilding. I have one that came with my truck but didn’t work that I rebuilt. Bought another one rebuilt for $900 I think? Not an amazing deal but Lots cheaper than new. Ive seen quite a few for sale here and there so there is a deal out there somewhere.

Patience on Craigslist for mine, seller didn’t want the shipping hassle so I scored locally. Thing was basically new and I paid $550... some eight years ago

I purchased from Craigslist.

Look for cracks in the housing parts (the mounting ears and in my case, the motor mount). If they will allow, pull the upper housing off and check the gears for excessive rust from sitting in water that got into the housings and was never drained.

Search craigslist under “wench”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom