Fuel pump Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and salutation.

Newbie here, I have a LC 1995 standard made unit.
Was driving one day and all of the sudden the car stopped in the middle of the road smoke coming out of the hood. After putting the car aside i noticed that the alternator has fried i mean literally fried, also ign fuse has blown out, car wont start.
Changed so far alternator of course didnt notice and wire that were burned or fused together, change the efi relay because was getting no spark. After changing the ecu relay spark came back, I squirted fuel into carburetor thats how i know. Before changing the relay it wouldnt even kick over til after i change it. Now the fuel oump doent come on ive change the relay and still nothing, i removed the backseat to gain access to the fuel pump removed it and tested the pump with jumper wire and pump is working fine. So now is there a fuse for this pump ive looked and all location on where it could be and checked every fuse which i can see, is there anything more. The obd scanner doesnt work on this vehicle also i have no check engine light which could be just burned out. I hope im not hijacking a tread i think mine is unique. Thanks for reading hope to get it resolved.

In the FSM there is a diagnostics section to help you get though the various reasons why the fuel pump isn't working.
Have you started there?

Welcome to MUD.

There is a fuel pump relay and a fuel pump resistor.

You can download a copy of the FSM (factory service manual). Keep a copy on your tablet, phone or computer so you have it with you. I like a hard copy on board.

The complete Toyota FSM and electronic wiring diagram (EWD) are available for download in the resources section.

Welcome to MUD.

There is a fuel pump relay and a fuel pump resistor.

You can download a copy of the FSM (factory service manual). Keep a copy on your tablet, phone or computer so you have it with you. I like a hard copy on board.

The complete Toyota factory service manual (FSM) and electronic wiring diagram (EWD) are available for download in the resources section.
hard copies still available?

when was the change over? like OP is 95' but would that be the same as 97? i thought some early 95 didnt have obd2 right?
Yes, I think you’re right, but I don’t know when the change over took place.

OP said OBDII didn't work, or I would have offered an e-copy of mine.

Hello and salutation.

Newbie here, I have a LC 1995 standard made unit.
Was driving one day and all of the sudden the car stopped in the middle of the road smoke coming out of the hood. After putting the car aside i noticed that the alternator has fried i mean literally fried, also ign fuse has blown out, car wont start.
Changed so far alternator of course didnt notice and wire that were burned or fused together, change the efi relay because was getting no spark. After changing the ecu relay spark came back, I squirted fuel into carburetor thats how i know. Before changing the relay it wouldnt even kick over til after i change it. Now the fuel oump doent come on ive change the relay and still nothing, i removed the backseat to gain access to the fuel pump removed it and tested the pump with jumper wire and pump is working fine. So now is there a fuse for this pump ive looked and all location on where it could be and checked every fuse which i can see, is there anything more. The obd scanner doesnt work on this vehicle also i have no check engine light which could be just burned out. I hope im not hijacking a tread i think mine is unique. Thanks for reading hope to get it resolved.
You state:. "standard made unit" and "carburetor".

Where is this truck from? None of these in the USA are a 95 with a carburetor.

If you let out the smoke from the wiring harness, you've probably melted wires.

You need to advise more about the truck.

If the CEL doesn't light up with key in "on" position, it won't run. If the bulb is burned out, fix it, then properly diagnose the issue.

I also didn't see the words "fusible link" in your list of repairs.

while true i did say carburetor, there isnt one, its all enclosed. i think i did check the fusable link, i could be wrong. will check that, i was thinking of making a bypass to fuel pump, just to get it working, does the fuel pump stays on all the time? or when pressure builds up, and it shuts off?? im curious. ill fix the light for the CEL today hoping its just burned out. the alternator was fried though i didnt see and burned wires around the alternator. thanks you all for all the tips. its giving me some insight on the issue.

while true i did say carburetor, there isnt one, its all enclosed. i think i did check the fusable link, i could be wrong. will check that, i was thinking of making a bypass to fuel pump, just to get it working, does the fuel pump stays on all the time? or when pressure builds up, and it shuts off?? im curious. ill fix the light for the CEL today hoping its just burned out. the alternator was fried though i didnt see and burned wires around the alternator. thanks you all for all the tips. its giving me some insight on the issue.
The ECU turns on the fuel pump when it sees cranking from the crank sensor. No rotation, no fuel pump.

The ECU reads the temp sensors to know when to go from open loop fueling to closed loop fueling.

If you don't have a CEL with key in on position, then ECU doesn't have all it needs to run. It may crank but not run.

Melted wires from a smoked alternator can go deep.

The fusible links are at the battery and should be replaced with an event like that.
Once the engine is running, the fuel pump stays running. This is a fuel injected engine and requires constant pressure to fire the injectors.

You can turn on the fuel pump for diagnosing by jumpering across terminals at the FPR (fuel pump relay) in the fuse block under the hood. Use the FSM EWD to figure out which terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom