In cab winch control/momentary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
****Edit, cab controls work but handheld controller doesnt work with this setup****

I’ve been wanting to do this mod for a long time and yes, I finally got it done.

I used an antenna up/down momentary switch out of a 80 series/lx450.

I have a Warn 8274 with a 3 pin socket...this was super easy to tap into!

I ran 3 wires from cab switch cutout area to winch contactor..one red for power and two blue wires for in/ out. Then I just tapped into the 3 pin wires..white wire is power, so red to white on contactor battery bolt, green and black is the in/out, and it doesn’t matter which one you tap into for the two blue wires from switch, because you will determine this at the antenna momentary/switch.

Now to the antenna switch in dash, I just stripped the two blue wires and temporarily attach to the two blue wires from winch to switch on antenna switch to see which one is the in/out...choose which one you would like to be the in/out on your switch (I liked the down to be “in” and the “up” to be out)

This next step is optional...the two green wires on antenna switch, green/white silver dots...green silver dots are the illumination/light for antenna switch, you can tap into the dimmer knob wires...I already had a light switch tapped into these wires here so it was and easy to access and solder.

One big tip is to have power cutoff switch frombattery to winch so switch is not powered/active all the time till you switch on to use winch...I still might add a toggle power on/off under dash for more security...

7C9FDB3D-E580-4F23-8325-B5B9DEED77B6.jpeg
E6E74262-5BF5-410D-8710-B4241C3B391E.jpeg
4D322E74-2A2F-411A-86BB-D46C09508B5A.jpeg
713D47ED-25A6-4779-9850-B22BBA7F2FBC.jpeg
F8AC140D-8C38-4FD2-9DFD-5BE7475B27DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my winch power off switch....it always off until I need to use winch.
ADC83138-167C-4601-9723-8502C1FF7BD6.jpeg

On in cab winch switch (antenna up/down) I Added some in/out stickers...which still illuminate...good for now when I find something Mabey better down the road ...
4D54DBA8-3880-46ED-99D6-3D9DDDA11BF5.jpeg

Edit, cab controls work but handheld controller doesnt work with this setup as of late...trouble shooting how to get both to work....

I use two switches - one to toggle between everything-off / inside / outside winch control, and the repurposed antenna switch to operate the winch from the inside.

Last edited:
My worry-wart alter-ego would be concerned if you are using the antenna switch to directly switch power to the winch solenoid/contactors that it can handle the current. Wouldn't want the contacts of the antenna switch to weld closed when in use... I would be inclined to have the antenna switch control some relays that power the solenoid/contactor coils, of course adds more complexity, but I'd feel safer. OR, have a secondary switch that provides the power to the antenna switch that can be toggled off in-cab just in case - as per ChaseTruck's post.

For main winch power, I use Marine switches in both my 4wd's, but use 2 ways, so I can run for battery #1 or battery #2 or both or none (for isolation).

cheers,
george.

I use two switches - one to toggle between everything-off / inside / outside winch control, and the repurposed antenna switch to operate the switch from the inside.
Yup, good call, this is what I figured out so far...need some power on/off switch incab to turn off power to antenna in/out

My worry-wart alter-ego would be concerned if you are using the antenna switch to directly switch power to the winch solenoid/contactors that it can handle the current. Wouldn't want the contacts of the antenna switch to weld closed when in use... I would be inclined to have the antenna switch control some relays that power the solenoid/contactor coils, of course adds more complexity, but I'd feel safer. OR, have a secondary switch that provides the power to the antenna switch that can be toggled off in-cab just in case - as per ChaseTruck's post.

For main winch power, I use Marine switches in both my 4wd's, but use 2 ways, so I can run for battery #1 or battery #2 or both or none (for isolation).

cheers,
george.
Good call,

I have a spare solenoid and going to use this for antenna in/out power wire

cheers,
george.
I followed this post:

...and ended up with this:

Three relays on the right side are for the winch. Besides the two SPDT relays to cancel any power if both buttons of the antenna switch are pressed at the same time, I needed the extra SPST relay to adapt the winch being switched on the power side to Toyota ground switching. Not very elegant, but effective.

Overall bulky, clunky-looking, and a pain to remove when the battery has to come out, but has held up ok so far; I've changed some of the relays for potted ones. I have combination mini(?)-fuse / micro-relay block on the shelf, but haven't gotten around to wiring that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom