What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (102 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Technically, yes.

I can’t wait to see it on eBay.

D2643F5A-053B-49B9-84EE-F7113E80C977.jpeg

So lately this thread might as well be called, "What have you done to you Land Cruiser Today?" because I am making so much progress! :) I drove it to work Monday and Tuesday. Monday on the drive home I was contemplating the steering being all over the place at speed. So a little MUD research led me to the fact that my 5 inch long shackles have screwed up the CASTER, which is actually super important, don't ignore the CASTER LOL. So new shims are on order now from @orangefj45 Georg at Cruiser Brothers,: I'll report on their affect next week. On today's drive home I was contemplating the slightly stumbly idle, the somewhat hesitant acceleration, and the undesirable top speed. I took my mind back to the carburetor rebuild that I had recently done, and the subsequent do-over of cleaning the idle circuit. I somehow settled in my brain on a big port that I had capped... this one:

20210406_183049_HDR.jpg

I remembered that it wasn't capped in 2016, the last time I had the 40 running, and I started second guessing my decision to cap it. I took it off and went for a test drive. Ok. Public Service Announcement: DON'T CAP THAT LINE! LOL It idled, and accelerated much better without that line capped, and I also got up to a better top speed. Some of the carb gurus are going, "DUH", right now. I'd like to know all the insanely technical reasons why honestly :) So long story short, for now, I am going to run it like this.... but where should it really be connected from the factory? To the air cleaner?

20210406_183102_HDR.jpg

So lately this thread might as well be called, "What have you done to you Land Cruiser Today?" because I am making so much progress! :) I drove it to work Monday and Tuesday. Monday on the drive home I was contemplating the steering being all over the place at speed. So a little MUD research led me to the fact that my 5 inch long shackles have screwed up the CASTER, which is actually super important, don't ignore the CASTER LOL. So new shims are on order now from @orangefj45 Georg at Cruiser Brothers,: I'll report on their affect next week. On today's drive home I was contemplating the slightly stumbly idle, the somewhat hesitant acceleration, and the undesirable top speed. I took my mind back to the carburetor rebuild that I had recently done, and the subsequent do-over of cleaning the idle circuit. I somehow settled in my brain on a big port that I had capped... this one:

View attachment 2637715

I remembered that it wasn't capped in 2016, the last time I had the 40 running, and I started second guessing my decision to cap it. I took it off and went for a test drive. Ok. Public Service Announcement: DON'T CAP THAT LINE! LOL It idled, and accelerated much better without that line capped, and I also got up to a better top speed. Some of the carb gurus are going, "DUH", right now. I'd like to know all the insanely technical reasons why honestly :) So long story short, for now, I am going to run it like this.... but where should it really be connected from the factory? To the air cleaner?

View attachment 2637717
Let us know what degree shims you install and if they help.

I installed 4deg shims which took the camber to +1.5 on the driver side and +1 on the passenger. The “death wobble” went away but it’s still not the way I think it should be so thinking about “shimming up” so both sides are +3.

I did have death wobble in the beginning, but that was mostly because a PO had attempted a shackle reversal. BUT, they didn't flip the springs or alter the drive shaft or extend the fixed mounting point or anything. They just used the factory hanger and put the fixed end on the front and the shackles on the back, which led to all sorts of problems, including the loss of the right rear motor mount. After I corrected that, the death wobble was gone. I didn't learn of my current problem until recently, when I got it up to speed. The shims I have ordered are 4* so hopefully that will help. I need to get an angle measuring gizmo to make sure, but I haven't yet.

I recently found out Toyota japan Disc. / NLA a needed vintage toyota 40 and 60 series connector housing

1st generation 2 pin splash 💦 proof or
Sealed now there called

I like splash 💦 proof better !

Anyway

It made me p#ssed off to no end , another dart 🎯 to my land cruiser community peeps and me too !

- USA late modle 2 wire choke solonoid

- fj60 front marker lamps

- FJ40 rear side marker sub harnesses like @GA Architect had going on while back ..

- vsv valves 40 and 60 2F

Heck my 1995 hilux in college had these as horn connectors just like a 79 FJ40

So bottom line we Will NEVER be short or shy the 90981-10091 male splash 💦 proof 2 pins first gen sealed housings ever .....

Not in my lifetime anyway

I got japan to make me a custom 1000pc mini run of them

Well here we are and There we Shall Go .... :poof:

715C677A-CB31-4B5B-AB0A-2049AA0F0439.jpeg
9DB9EC95-244D-4473-A292-DEC7C45FE750.jpeg
79D87AE0-2C2B-4BC0-915C-BCE9E432660C.jpeg
75843866-42D1-4CAB-87D0-6C2FECE88E1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Since we're in a area where salt is used though the winter and I'm not interested in getting involved with welding, body filing, painting etc. the 40 goes to sleep over winter. Today it woke up and amazingly I cranked the engine over a few turns, pulled the choke and it fired up running without any gas pedal pumping and praying.

wakeup.jpg

Tomorrow, we remove the steering wheel, move ignition switch, install new Grant wheel. Them, hopefully, new rims & tires, cooling system flush and hub re-build next week.

Not for the FJ, but I got a CB for her 4Runner today and put everything in a pink storage (like a Penguin) for her to store it in (Some areas don't have cell coverage up here). Handheld, dash plug in, magnetic antenna.

Also, we joined TLCA today for both the FJ and the 'Runner.

Last edited:
in my ever diverse and growing SEMA-SPEC.type Concept Vision Parts Line up i have going on , i decided to step it up a notch and dive ever deeper into my world of what can and what can indeed be anything OEM toyota land cruiser ....

history will be the judge and time will tell ......... :poof: 💫 🦄 :beer:

AEAF496C-432D-4D76-B16C-FB029F53AB9F.jpeg
9E6B80FD-693A-429B-886A-F3BD474EE158.jpeg
CD9ECE83-004A-4CA1-8AE1-2A74C2C58D54.jpeg
7A43F26E-1A66-44C0-9BA6-9162432878D1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom