Best location to tap for aftermarket auxiliary switch illumination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I am using an air on board switch to control the remote enable of my Victron DC-DC charger. I am using a switched fuse location under the dash, then routing that through the switch before connecting to the charger. That way the charger won't charge unless the vehicle is running (or at least the ignition is on) and I manually enable it. This is to avoid a high current draw on the alternator (or starter battery!) when the truck is off or idling.

Question is how are folks providing power for the switch illumination? Is there a fuse somewhere that I can tap into? I want to avoid cutting and splicing wiring if possible.

Use a fuse add a tap

Use a fuse add a tap

Is there a specific place to tap into that you recommend? I would assume anything in the fuse block under the dash wouldn't be switched on lighting, only ignition.

Have you played with the “smart alternator” setting on our victrons?
i have mine set to start charging after 120 seconds of voltage higher than 14.2 (I believe). If you want secondary control, I was considering using one of my switxpro buttons wired to the victron’s remote port.

Is there a specific place to tap into that you recommend? I would assume anything in the fuse block under the dash wouldn't be switched on lighting, only ignition.
I use a test light to determine which fuse is active when the illumination is on.

My AOB switches were tapped into one of the green wires which illuminate switches in the panel on the other side of the steering wheel.

I use a test light to determine which fuse is active when the illumination is on.
My AOB switches were tapped into one of the green wires which illuminate switches in the panel on the other side of the steering wheel.

Thanks. I will check around with a multimeter under the dash.

Have you played with the “smart alternator” setting on our victrons?
i have mine set to start charging after 120 seconds of voltage higher than 14.2 (I believe). If you want secondary control, I was considering using one of my switxpro buttons wired to the victron’s remote port.

I believe I have mine set to 30 seconds or so. I would still prefer the belt and suspenders approach of the 12V ignition and switch in series wired into the remote enable. The circuit should work just fine, I just want to light the button when the headlights are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom