Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a set of E rated Toyo OC AT3 in 285/65/18 and put 5000 miles on them. The only other all terrain tires I’ve experienced besides them are the BFG KO2 on a Ford Raptor and Falken Wildpeak AT3W on a Chevy Silverado Z71. The Toyos had a bit more road than the tires that came from the factory, especially on rough roads. Once they broke in, I don’t notice any road noise unless I am on gravel. Traction has been awesome in rain, sand, and snow. I found handling on road to be as good as any street tire. Just today I was making some pretty fast turns and the tires responded very well and felt stable. Prior to buying them I contacted Joe Bacal, who helped with their development. He said the benchmark during development was the KO2, and he feels they met or exceeded the performance of the KO2. To me the Toyo feel about the same as the KO2 in most surfaces, but in snow and ice, the Toyo feels more sure footed to me. The Falkens felt similar, but were a bit noisier. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Toyo or the Falken. The one thing I am not sure of is the sidewall toughness of the Toyo, as I have not taken them on rough terrain yet.

View attachment 2637892

View attachment 2637893
How many plies does the sidewall have? I cannot see clearly from your pictures.

How many plies does the sidewall have? I cannot see clearly from your pictures.
E-Rated AT3s are technically a 3-ply tire, but those plys overlap behind the sidewall, doubling them up. That yields better penetration and tear resistance off-road, and better on-road stability and steering feel.

E-Rated AT3s are technically a 3-ply tire, but those plys overlap behind the sidewall, doubling them up. That yields better penetration and tear resistance off-road, and better on-road stability and steering feel.

This 3-ply sidewall is not advertised on their website. I also don’t see it anywhere else saying this. Where did you get this info? I know that Falken AT also said something about rolling up the 2-plies at the edge of the sidewall for strength…but that does not make it a 3-ply.

On TireRack: “The internal construction of the Open Country A/T III utilizes a durable, two-ply polyester casing, providing a robust foundation for twin, high-strength steel belts. A single, nylon reinforcement ply is added for further durability and increased high-speed capability.”

This 3-ply sidewall is not advertised on their website. I also don’t see it anywhere else saying this. Where did you get this info? I know that Falken AT also said something about rolling up the 2-plies at the edge of the sidewall for strength…but that does not make it a 3-ply.

On TireRack: “The internal construction of the Open Country A/T III utilizes a durable, two-ply polyester casing, providing a robust foundation for twin, high-strength steel belts. A single, nylon reinforcement ply is added for further durability and increased high-speed capability.”
From the guy who designed the tire: Everything You Need to Know About Upgrading to All-Terrain Tires - https://www.outsideonline.com/2421954/everything-you-need-know-about-all-terrain-tires

Note that the number of plies used will vary with load rating.

Very cool. But what does it say on the actual tire sidewall? It should correlate,right?

For example, BFG KO2 load range C in some sizes are only 2-plies and it says so on the sidewall to reflect that.
Sidewall says 2 ply. Just looked at mine. Mine are E rated.

Last edited:

Enjoyed the article and there were some really insightful things there. I know we like to talk ply here. But there was a point made in regards to tread depth as a variable to puncture resistance that's underestimated.

Comparing tread depth on some common tires in often used 285/65R18 size (in 32/in)

Toyo AT3 - 16.5
BFG KO2 - 15.1
Falken AT3W - 18

We like to talk weight, but that potentially has compromises. It's been said many time now that KO2s run small (in overall dimensions). Among it's competitive set here, it once again measures on the lighter end of tread depth. Potentially nulling any perceived ply puncture resistance advantage. Though the reality has always been that the Toyo and Falkens doubled up their plys on the sidewall with folded over bead construction. So is weight really an advantage when you get less?

Falkens have classically weighed more. But generally as a larger dimensioned tire with more rubber all around. I have Toyo's and I think they walk a good balance of weight vs tread depth and features. But I do miss the Falkens as they were straight up a more aggressive tire with larger tread lugs and sidewall lugs. Big rim lip protector where the Toyos have none. Even my floatation size Toyo's have less prominent features than my previous LT Falkens. With a bonus that for as aggressive as the Falkens were, they still retained excellent NVH qualities on par with the Toyo's.

Tires are an area where added weight may be worthwhile if you're looking for aggressive performance.

Last edited:
Falkens weigh more because they use non-high tensile steel plies to keep cost low.

When off-roading, tread punctures are not what most folks worry about. It is the SIDEWALL that you worry about, esp when airing down.

Not sure about AT3, but we have seen cutouts of Falken’s sidewall…they are pretty thin. Now, maybe the “rollover” is near the tread…but where the actual sidewall is, Falken’s is fairly thin.

1617815352422.jpeg

Last edited:
You need to wake up and realize that any tire can be punctured. Incidentals happen. KO2s are not impervious. Anecdotal cases don't mean squat and while KO2s are descent tires, they have pros and cons too.

On-road much? s*** happens.
1617823465788.png

KO2 sidwall?
1617823545588.png

Guess what this person replaced their damaged KO2s with? You got it, AT3Ws. Yet I wouldn't hesitate to run any of these tires depending on qualities that are prioritized.

1617823680474.png

You need to wake up and realize that any tire can be punctured. Incidentals happen. KO2s are not impervious. Anecdotal cases don't mean squat and while KO2s are descent tires, they have pros and cons too.

View attachment 2638304

KO2 sidwall?
View attachment 2638309

Guess what this person replaced their damaged KO2s with? You got it, AT3Ws. Yet I wouldn't hesitate to run any of these tires depending on qualities that are prioritized.

View attachment 2638316
Wow that’s an insane bulge in the sidewall! What’s the story behind the cause of the damaged ?

View attachment 2638304

KO2 sidwall?
View attachment 2638309

View attachment 2638316

You get so offended so easily. Of course, anything can happen to any tire. BUT, compare KO2 sidewall rip above…to the rip picture of Falken in my post. There is a difference In thickness that even you can appreciate.

I got a nail in my KO2’s tread. It happens.

But as noted above, SIDEWALL strength is what i care more when off-roading and airing down…not so much the tread. So, that is where i put most emphasis on when buying a tire. You, being an avid off-roader, know this already. :)

Who's getting offended? Only false truths and hearsay.

Defenders would serve you better buddy. Don't be a slave to all that aspirational marketing.

Who's getting offended? Only false truths and hearsay.

Defenders would serve you better buddy. Don't be a slave to all that aspirational marketing.
You‘re right…I am becoming a more mall crawler everyday (kinda like you) and i am always entertaining something like a Defender (on-road friendly, with a pretty damn strong carcass).

As for you telling me about false truths and heresay…this is from a person who proclaim repeatedly“deep capability” in LC200’s transmission first gear and how LX handles like it is on rails and other bogus claims?! LOL

You get so offended so easily. Of course, anything can happen to any tire. BUT, compare KO2 sidewall rip above…to the rip picture of Falken in my post. There is a difference In thickness that even you can appreciate.

I got a nail in my KO2’s tread. It happens.

But as noted above, SIDEWALL strength is what i care more when off-roading and airing down…not so much the tread. So, that is where i put most emphasis on when buying a tire. You, being an avid off-roader, know this already. :)
Go drive on snow and you'll see why some of us (or at least me) prefer the AT3s and Falkens to KO2s. Each person has the things that is important to them. For you, it's a sidewall the thickness of a hockey puck. To others it's being able to safely travel the CO high country in all 4 seasons.

To each his own.

Go drive on snow and you'll see why some of us (or at least me) prefer the AT3s and Falkens to KO2s. Each person has the things that is important to them. For you, it's a sidewall the thickness of a hockey puck. To others it's being able to safely travel the CO high country in all 4 seasons.

To each his own.
Funny you say that…my all-time FAVORITE place to visit with family bi-annually is CO…see my avatar pic. I do drive like a grandma…not gonna lie…no issue here.

Just in case you’re not into football…that is Steve Atwater, safety for Denver Broncos, and he is my favorite player when i was a kid.

You‘re right…I am becoming a more mall crawler everyday (kinda like you) and i am always entertaining something like a Defender (on-road friendly, with a pretty damn strong carcass).

As for you telling me about false truths and heresay…this is from a person who proclaim repeatedly“deep capability” in LC200’s transmission first gear and how LX handles like it is on rails and other bogus claims?! LOL

I'm able to acknowledge, grow, and learn. Unlike others that get mad. Want to tell us how great your tires ride again because you have no ability to distinguish and discern? Or care to give us more embarrassingly useless commentary about tires you have zero experience with?

If you want a better tire, and I suspect you might as you're constantly in this thread...

I'm able to acknowledge, grow, and learn. Unlike others that get mad. Want to tell us how great your tires ride again because you have no ability to distinguish and discern? Or care to give us more embarrassingly useless commentary about tires you have zero experience with?

If you want a better tire, and I suspect you might as you're constantly in this thread...
Hey…I am ALWAYS on the lookout for my next tire. Always. I love to talk about tires. My previous set on my last off-reader was Firestone MT, a far unrecognized great tire. But my needs have “evolved” since. :D

Just in case you are interested, the RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those P285/70R17 117T SL tires on your LX570 is 26psi F/R.

Factory Load Limit is 2315 lbs and the RCTIP of 26psi puts you above that at 2480 lbs. That's good up to the GVWR of your LX570.

Max Load Rating for that tire is 2833 lbs which is reached at 35psi and would be overinflated for your LX570.

Max Pressure on the sidewall may be 44psi, but Load Rating does not increase beyond 2833lbs at 35psi.

HTH

Hey gaijin,

ive followed some of your posts and I know you’re well respected here im not trying to knock you or anything but its impossible for 26 psi to be the correct pressure for 200/570. Thats basically flat.

i can post a photo if needed but I recommend anyone running P metric to go 36-38.

Im curious how you are calculating the pressure.

Hey gaijin,

ive followed some of your posts and I know you’re well respected here im not trying to knock you or anything but its impossible for 26 psi to be the correct pressure for 200/570. Thats basically flat.

i can post a photo if needed but I recommend anyone running P metric to go 36-38.

Im curious how you are calculating the pressure.
36-38 psi is way too high for these tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom