Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with the SL passenger rated tire Toyo AT3 n 285/70 17 on my Rock Warrior wheels due to being lighter in weight as well as additional sipping. Wish I could have found subjective comparisons between the two in regards to tread compounds performance on ice and snow, I originally i AT2. The Falkens were much better and I am even happier with the AT3 although I do suspect that they are a touch louder than the Falkens when new. But, coming form the worn out Falkens it is a night and day difference now. My non conventional self wanted to go with the 255/80 17 but I was worried about noise from my past Toyo experience.

The added bonus for me is that the Toyo is made in the USA .

Will the Toyo AT3 285/65/18 fit a stock heritage edition and wheels without rubbing.

Just waiting on having time to repaint my blacked out rock warriors. Going to be difficult to restrain from just shoving them on the way they are.

(edit: to save time 285/75R17 E...and I don’t know how much they rub yet...and 84.6 lbs on the bathroom scale)

1617067723199.jpeg

Last edited:
Great. Thanks. How’s the ride on pavement?
To my backside, the ride of the at3 on pavement is preferable to stock. My only “complaint” is the noise level- definitely more noticeable to me than the KO2s ive had on several other vehicles. It may be getting a little better with time/miles, or maybe im just getting used to it.

Did you re-tint the whole truck or just do the front windows? What tint did you use? Looks really nice.
Thanks! I only tinted the front doors and windshield. im honestly unsure which tint my guy used- not ceramic or super high end though. I just asked to match the front doors to the rear, and go as light as possible on the windshield.

Thanks! I only tinted the front doors and windshield. im honestly unsure which tint my guy used- not ceramic or super high end though. I just asked to match the front doors to the rear, and go as light as possible on the windshield.
I need to get my front windows done here soon.

Appreciated all the info in the thread. Toyo AT3s are now on my 100 series. 275/65/18 type “C” on stock suspension. no rubbing. Tires look and run great on both pavement and dirt roads. Not much noise on the highway, ride is pretty smooth. I think I had my expectation set for noise so was pleasantly surprised. Glad I chose type C for how I’ll be using it. Have only had them a week or so but super happy. Thanks all.
319966B8-2D63-419A-B10E-C52425549377.jpeg
141279AB-4F9B-4A92-9FB5-6B341B9302EE.jpeg
A95DBAA3-4B83-4006-A2F3-8538604525BB.jpeg

P285/70r17 Toyo AT3 on my ‘17 LX.
Fantastic tire in all conditions esp wet and snow. (texas resident)
At 38psi im in an s class tank.
At the full 44 psi im WELL over factory load ratings. I never need to go over 42 for a loaded highway trip/towing.

I really wouldnt mind the more aggressive look of the ridge grappler but all around this was the best choice for my usage.

I ordered a set of AT3s in LT285/65/18. Buuuuut the dealership ordered and installed a set of AT2’s and i did not realize it until I got home. They ordered the correct set which are apparently on back order until end of May. I will drive on these for a few more days until I can get back for an appointment. Will roll around on 285/60/18 grabber atx for a few more weeks.

48CD1021-FABE-4AF5-9CAA-E340E11DF28D.jpeg

P285/70r17 Toyo AT3 on my ‘17 LX.
Fantastic tire in all conditions esp wet and snow. (texas resident)
At 38psi im in an s class tank.
At the full 44 psi im WELL over factory load ratings. I never need to go over 42 for a loaded highway trip/towing.

I really wouldnt mind the more aggressive look of the ridge grappler but all around this was the best choice for my usage.

Just in case you are interested, the RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) for those P285/70R17 117T SL tires on your LX570 is 26psi F/R.

Factory Load Limit is 2315 lbs and the RCTIP of 26psi puts you above that at 2480 lbs. That's good up to the GVWR of your LX570.

Max Load Rating for that tire is 2833 lbs which is reached at 35psi and would be overinflated for your LX570.

Max Pressure on the sidewall may be 44psi, but Load Rating does not increase beyond 2833lbs at 35psi.

HTH

I have a set of E rated Toyo OC AT3 in 285/65/18 and put 5000 miles on them. The only other all terrain tires I’ve experienced besides them are the BFG KO2 on a Ford Raptor and Falken Wildpeak AT3W on a Chevy Silverado Z71. The Toyos had a bit more road than the tires that came from the factory, especially on rough roads. Once they broke in, I don’t notice any road noise unless I am on gravel. Traction has been awesome in rain, sand, and snow. I found handling on road to be as good as any street tire. Just today I was making some pretty fast turns and the tires responded very well and felt stable. Prior to buying them I contacted Joe Bacal, who helped with their development. He said the benchmark during development was the KO2, and he feels they met or exceeded the performance of the KO2. To me the Toyo feel about the same as the KO2 in most surfaces, but in snow and ice, the Toyo feels more sure footed to me. The Falkens felt similar, but were a bit noisier. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Toyo or the Falken. The one thing I am not sure of is the sidewall toughness of the Toyo, as I have not taken them on rough terrain yet.

BA6DBE4D-F1D8-4D95-89F7-08AC8DE733BE.jpeg

166AF517-0B69-413D-8B35-CBBF0549756E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom