Spacer between gas tank and tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting ready to go to install my OEM gas tank back into my 74 FJ40 and would like to know what others have done to help separate the bottom of the gas tank from the body.

I bought some 3/16" thick rubber from a supplier in town and cut my own. Applied a little gasket sealer and it worked great Used two on the bottom and one each in the back and on each side. PM me your address and I think I have enough left to cut you a set and will get them in the mail. a little karma for your 74

I bought some 3/16" thick rubber from a supplier in town and cut my own. Applied a little gasket sealer and it worked great Used two on the bottom and one each in the back and on each side. PM me your address and I think I have enough left to cut you a set and will get them in the mail. a little karma for your 74
Thanks! I’m PM you

I used 2 layers of the Scotch 2228 in strips around the sides. It wasn't an original idea, it was something I saw done here on MUD somewhere, so I can't take credit. But, it seems to be working just fine. The only thing about the 2228 is that it is kind of "grabby", so once the tank is sitting on it it's difficult to adjust it forwards or back, like when you are putting on the filler neck. But still an overall win I'd say. The 2228 was in stock at my local Home Depot. Hope that helps!

20201121_123410_HDR.jpg

Instead of sticking it to the floor I stuck my strips to the bottom of the tank. You can get more info on the material I used and see photos in post #42 here.

I used 2 layers of the Scotch 2228 in strips around the sides. It wasn't an original idea, it was something I saw done here on MUD somewhere, so I can't take credit. But, it seems to be working just fine. The only thing about the 2228 is that it is kind of "grabby", so once the tank is sitting on it it's difficult to adjust it forwards or back, like when you are putting on the filler neck. But still an overall win I'd say. The 2228 was in stock at my local Home Depot. Hope that helps!

View attachment 2638074
Thanks! I remember seeing that post on what have you done with your land cruiser this week a couple of months ago. I actually committed on it and saved that image.

Those S-hook rubber tie-downs, cut into pieces. They were nice and thick.

Also, tie-downs between the gas tank and the tank cover ('75).

I accidentally tossed the mouse-soiled carpet that I learned was OE for the top application.

Those S-hook rubber tie-downs, cut into pieces. They were nice and thick.

Also, tie-downs between the gas tank and the tank cover ('75).

I accidentally tossed the mouse-soiled carpet that I learned was OE for the top application.
Thanks for the reply. That sucks you tossed it. I still have the two originals that go between the gas tank and the gas tank cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom