Thoughts on this LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy is going through the pre-purchase process for an LX in Dallas at a dealership. They sent these few pictures to him and I am posting them here to get the forum's thoughts on the rust/underside. It is a former Illinois truck and now in Texas. Has 90K on it.

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.jpeg

Here is what I thought and mentioned to him:
Id ask for more pictures and ones with the skid plates removed.
Pictures look like the underside has been painted.
In picture 2 the radiator looks like it should be replaced (IMO) and there is something dripping on the LCA. Also, there is rust at the top of the photo but I can't tell what that is.

So, what are the forum thoughts on this? Anything that would make you back away or need to be addressed at purchase?

It certainly has been painted over - that said, what is painted does look rather straight and clean so that is a good thing....not just black over crustiness.

Would need to get under it and really check closely. Its probably still a good bit of rust being from IL.

You need to see pics of the underside near the back. I spy rust under that paint, probably more, the further you back.

I’d rather buy a rusty truck than one that someone sprayed black rattle can paint all over to spruce it up before a sale

In pic #2 those cooling fins took a hit and/or are non-existant. The brush guard also took an impact and was bent back to form, roughly.

Do you know where it is exactly? I may be able to swing by and take a look at it, if it’s on the west side. Depends on what kind of hurry he’s in.

Looks rather nice, if you were super paranoid, put a scope inside the frame rail and take a look. That will tell you what Illinois truly did to the vehicle. But all in all that looks clean, no rust bubbling/blistering visible, etc.

A couple years ago I briefly owned an 07 LX with 115k that had spent its whole life in Chicago, well maintained. ($21k at the time)

I hated it. Everything was a pain in the ass. Bolts broke. Stuff was wearing early. Baselining sucked. I don't recommend. I went and got a southern truck (AZ). Texas has good selection here, too.

This is the Carfax listing:

Link
Sorry, that’s too far for me. For that kind of coin, though, it better be squeaky clean. It would make me nervous that a place puts up 77 photos, and not one of the undercarriage. If he’s preparing to spend $33k, he should invest a couple hundred in a prebuy inspection.

They always have overpriced dressed up LCs coming into that dealership.

This is the Carfax listing:

Link
The lack of a single undercarriage shot on that link would make me suspicious.

Additionally, did I spy the Slee AHC override mechanism?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom