Brand new 2021 LC - power folding mirror issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redeye

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,
Intermittent issue here. When I lock the truck the mirrors fold in. Sometimes the passenger mirror will not fold back out. I can manually move it out, but it'll just flop frontwards and back so that's not really a solution at all as the mirror is unusable. Took the truck to the dealer to have front leveling spacers installed and told them about the issue but they couldn't replicate it. The truck is new with just over 1,600 miles on it.

I noticed that on at least one occasion I was able to exit the truck, lock it, then unlock and the pass mirror would unfold.

Went out this morning and no matter what I do with locking/unlocking or hitting the power mirror fold button inside does anything. Stupid pass. mirror won't fold open.

Ironically I talked myself into buying a brand spanking new Cruiser (Heritage no less) because I'd have "no maintenance issues for a long, long time". LOL.

I realize the tendency is to feel like this indicates a problem vehicle or (I’m being dramatic) the sky is falling.. but thousands of LX570s have the same mechanism and fold automatically, with only a handful of reported issues. Cruisers have had them for years but they get a lot less exercise without an auto function.

The faulty part can now be replaced and you’ll be good to go. You still bought what is on average the most well engineered and problem free modern vehicles available, and an early failure of one of the many thousands of parts on the truck is a statistical possibility. Now that statistic is out of the way...

@bloc wise words. And to be clear, I don't regret buying the truck. It's just frustrating to have to bring it back to the dealer for a pretty dumb issue. I was hoping someone on Mud had this problem and maybe found a cure for it. I've seen the videos online replacing power mirror mechanisms, but this is a brand new truck. Seems very odd for it to break this soon,.

@bloc wise words. And to be clear, I don't regret buying the truck. It's just frustrating to have to bring it back to the dealer for a pretty dumb issue. I was hoping someone on Mud had this problem and maybe found a cure for it. I've seen the videos online replacing power mirror mechanisms, but this is a brand new truck. Seems very odd for it to break this soon,.
It could be worse...check out this video. 😂

Seems very odd for it to break this soon,.
That's the bell curve of electronics failure though. They typically fail early, or really far out. More rare that it's in the middle.

Hey, it could be worse... I took my brand new 2020 White Heritage on a road trip. While I was driving, the odometer numbers started to look fuzzy (less than bright). By the time I got home, parts of the numbers were completely dark. All this was happening with less than 1400 miles on the car. The stealership had to replace the entire instrument cluster. While replacing it, they were less than gentle and decided to completely destroy my steering column shell. I almost missed the damage because I picked it up after sundown. My advice... make sure to carefully inspect the area of the repair.

Gotta look on the bright side though... in the grand scheme of landcruiser issues, this might be the biggest one you have for the next decade or more.

Stuff happens and if the dealership can't duplicate the concerns that will not repair it. You can thank the lemon law people for that (3 repairs on the same safety concern) so instead of throwing parts to see if it fixes it, they will not perform a repair until they car duplicate it. Maybe taking a video can help?

And for everyone, any time you go to the dealer lock your glove box and keep the key blade with you so the dealer doesn’t break your recirc door!!

I took a video, so now I've just got to schedule another appointment. I got around the issue by turning off the auto-fold when I lock the car. It's a shame because I like to use the auto-fold feature as a visual aid to make sure the truck is locked.

Don't you get the flashing light and beep confirmation? If not, it can be enabled in Techstream.

Yes I get the flash + beep. But I'm paranoid and like to "see" my vehicle is locked. LOL.

I took a video, so now I've just got to schedule another appointment. I got around the issue by turning off the auto-fold when I lock the car. It's a shame because I like to use the auto-fold feature as a visual aid to make sure the truck is locked.
I like it as a visual aid also, but in the winter I turn it off because the mirrors can get frozen and can put a bit of a strain on the mechanism when it tries to open them.

@RobW0 ya know I wonder if this is what happened to mine. My truck was a dealer demo with 900 miles on it when I got it. Those 900 miles were driven in pretty bitter cold temps. Hmmm.

Don't you get the flashing light and beep confirmation? If not, it can be enabled in Techstream.
I use it so I can look out the window, at home, if I want to make sure I locked the car at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom