2009 LX 570 ACH Pump Not Working after picking up from Body Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone. I've found this site very reliable and helpful over the past couple of years. Now I'm seeking advice on how to handle my situation regarding my 2009 LX 570.

I've lost power to the AHC pump 175 miles or 3 days after getting vehicle back.

Important notes regarding my vehicle: Average 300 plus miles a day for the past 2 years or 200,000 miles over the past two years. I've had one issue with the vehicle in all 11 years. Lexus LX 570 is a beast.

Notes about my issue:

-Rear-ended on the freeway in poor icy driving conditions 6 weeks ago whereby my vehicle sat dormant during 40 days to repair. Primary Impact Rear of vehicle sliding into wall.

-Last Monday, I finally was able to accept the vehicle after 42 days to repair. Driving home, I noticed a lot of looseness in the steering and the ACH check 4 wheel alert popped up.

-I removed one of the AHC fuses on the passenger side fuse box before a long trip home in order to protect the pump. Haven't been able to get the pump to work since.

I've driven this vehicle very hard over the past 2 years. It doesn't break. I contacted the insurance company that was paying for everything and I was advised they will cover the breakdown only if the mechanic will announce the accident played a role in this defect.

Whatever my issue may be, I know the accident resulting in my car sitting dormant would be the straw that broke the camels back. Are there not a hundred ways to articulate how an accident might have resulted in the straw that breaks the camels back?

Both the body shop and the lexus dealership have told me over the phone there is no correlation between this happenings and the accident. I just find this hard to believe.

Couldn't something that was about to break due to 285,000 miles become exacerbated by a major rear impact collision and gradually break during those 175 miles I drove after picking up the vehicle?
\
Any thoughts?

1617674149736.png

Last edited:
Solution
You're making solid progress! Hang in there as I think you're getting to the root of the issues. I believe there to be 2:

1) First thing I would do is address the firm items. A single broken height sensor/misadjusted sensor is enough to cause all the issues you've described. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that the AHC ECU is faulty as that's exceedingly rare. Replace the broken arm but also have them evaluate whether the potentiometer (arm angle sensor) has been damaged/bent, or anything else in the vicinity. They'll need to properly setup the calibration on the new arm/angle sensor for the system to work properly. This last calibration - there's very real potential for the tech to not have enough skill in this area and you...
FYI the parts are $170/ea ordered from UAE.
I've been pontificating the parts pricing as well as whether there is any value keeping the used sensors.
From everything I've learned on this thread, I don't think I'd WANT to take chances with non-oem, parts.,
but I WOULD if it were my coin at risk Those parts had to be non-oem, but I defer as I'm a neophyte here.

That said, It's inconsequential because factory oem pricing is the only way If I want to get the rig back this week. Every day delay is costing me dearly I can say.
Waited almost a week for a Front Impact Sensor Harness. Pissed, I called around and confirmed there were only 2 left in the US, now there's only 1.

I will keep the sensors. They might serve purpose somehow somewhere down the road for someone other than myself. If I'm not mistaken, this part fits all 570s. It's Universal.

Thanks again, Grinch. You were most helpful as all were, but you helped the most.

How much you want to bet they aren't done. It's a dealership recognizing they have carte blanch restoring any other problems that might impede the AHC functionality and or additional undercarriage problems.

Last edited:
what's the chances they had sensors in stock...probably not, but I don't know. Gut tells me I won't see car this week, but they only have 825 down for labor which is 5 hours.
What's the chances Grinchy they get it done by tomorrow as promised. Just you wait and see. Probably nothings happened with vehicle as they wait. But, come-on, it's unrealistic for me to expect that car back tomorrow, don't you think? I'm guessing Wednesday is when they find "other things" that need to be handled to bring this AHC back to the functionality it had pre-accident.

That's crazy. The material the arm is made out of must be pretty brittle.

Also, just a note, PartSouq.com sells genuine Toyota/Lexus parts. Many people here order from them when the shipping rates make sense on smaller parts. They are based out of the the Middle East, which is a much larger market for 200 series vehicles than the USA. I've ordered from them twice, usually takes less than a week and as long as shipping isn't too bad, usually save about 50% on cost. They also have one of the better parts/diagram ordering systems compared to most USA suppliers.

Also, just a note, PartSouq.com sells genuine Toyota/Lexus parts. Many people here order from them when the shipping rates make sense on smaller parts. They are based out of the the Middle East, which is a much larger market for 200 series vehicles than the USA. I've ordered from them twice, usually takes less than a week and as long as shipping isn't too bad, usually save about 50% on cost. They also have one of the better parts/diagram ordering systems compared to most USA suppliers.

No kidding. definitely saving that link. Maybe it's advisable to go with OEM for these sensors.

Dealer called and said---"tomorrow" it will be ready. Waiting on parts.
Glanced around for globes right now while it's still all apart and saw this, but overseas shipping. LOL wishful thinking
Told them I'd bring a battery in today to replace my 10v battery to eliminate any possible problems.
They said, they'd have to charge me 40 bucks to install. WTF?
Then I said, how about you throw in the labor for an oil change and I'll supply the oil.
Nope, $40 bucks extra for that too.
You know a 3k ticket for this advisor helps his quota.
I'll wear them down.

WIN_20210406_09_03_18_Pro.jpg

That's the right idea but the wrong link on accumulators. You need accumulators for a lx570 (470 are different). Good news is the LX570 parts are actually cheaper. I got mine shipped from Japan (via eBay) for $650. The seller i got them from was JDM Planet. I haven't installed mine yet, but others here have and said they seem to be as new.

You might have them give you a quote on the Lexus battery (i've seen people post here that the "OEM" battery at a dealer is fairly cheap (<$150 installed) and you get a 7 yr warranty). Assuming you can return your Interstate battery.

a dealer isn't a going to do for free services they would normally charge for, parts provided or not. agree with @lx200inAR , just buy a battery from Lexus

a dealer isn't a going to do for free services they would normally charge for, parts provided or not. agree with @lx200inAR , just buy a battery from Lexus
Ok, I told him to go ahead with the battery.
$195 installed. 84 month Warranty. First 2 years are 100% parts/labor. Then 50% thereafter for year 3 and probably a gradual prorate each year after.

Thought I'd have some latitude on a little free labor since it appears they are being paid on the diagnosis. That's supposed to be washed if you do the repair.

Only have 3 sensors to show/Left Front Sensor replaced tomorrow.
Both rear arms have zero friction in the ball joint connections/connecting the small arm to the long arm making them so loose you could spin them. The 2nd ball joint connection at the end of the small arms are jammed and unmovable for both rear sensors.

The Front Sensor has good amount of friction allowing for 20 degrees of play without forcefully adjusting further.

I included the 5th picture showing the position of the 2nd ball joints. You can see the direction of the left sensor's free ending ball joint is tilting up as if the impact came from below, i.e. maybe slamming like from having no suspension.

sensorsx3.png

sensorleftrear.png

sensorrightrear.png

sensorRRLR.JPG

cause.jpg

So I watched @thatdangcat 38 min youtube vid on AHS two times tonight, 3 times total> I wish I would have seen it last week.
I'd have added King Springs to the order.

If that RR sensor arm snap was a byproduct of something else to cause it's malfunction/snap,,
wouldn't it be logical that the snap occurred because the globes were spent? Spin it a different way: Woudn't an impact strong enough to snap this metal in half screw the sphere?

I'm guessing the tech hasn't done any calibration as he's waiting on the 4th sensor. My opinion on front Sensor already replaced is that it's not corroded.
I've examined the pins and they look perfect according to a novice. I wager the missing sensor mirrors it's installed sister.

So if I've properly predicted, the en route front sensor after install won't offer any added value. It simply circles back to the cause of the snap.
Chicken or the Egg?

Who knows, at this point I’d count yourself lucky the dealer has convinced your insurance company this is due to the wreck, since I doubt it was broken when you picked it up From body shop. Hard to imagine you drove it 150+ miles with the sensor broken and didn’t notice. Maybe the arm cracked in the collision and finally gave way during the drive. Maybe you’ll get lucky and an accumulator blew as well and you can convince them to replace all 4. Your insurance company won’t like that ($$$), but could be a boon for you.

Yup, and conversely crack or break is a godsend and had it not occured I'd be so freaking hosed.
Oh, and I did notice. The drive deteriorated by mile. Which, could have prompted a 'snap' or was it the chicken or the egg.\

And, potentially, the harshness a byproduct of a spent globe. ONly knows after calibration. The youtube video mentions that noone ever pays attention to the pressure/height upon install. Even though the dealer promised tomorrow, I'm 60% betting there's a delay and after the 4th sensor has been installed.

Last edited:
Who knows, at this point I’d count yourself lucky the dealer has convinced your insurance company this is due to the wreck, since I doubt it was broken when you picked it up From body shop. Hard to imagine you drove it 150+ miles with the sensor broken and didn’t notice. Maybe the arm cracked in the collision and finally gave way during the drive. Maybe you’ll get lucky and an accumulator blew as well and you can convince them to replace all 4. Your insurance company won’t like that ($$$), but could be a boon for you.
But, WE ALL know the wreck was the catalyst. You don't go from perfect 300 miles daily driving through the polar vortex and several more years of daily grind to suddenly this bullcrap days after picking up vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom