Need Suggestions! 05 GX470 applies brakes when gas is applied. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently replaced wheel bearings and lower control arms now on my 05 GX470. For some reason now if you in any way try to accelerate the vehicle by the gas pedal it come to halt and applies it’s own brakes and if you try to force it to drive it locks up harder and Traction control light pops up for a second. Any ideas on what could be the cause? I’ve cleaned the inside of the bearing and assembly good and all the wheel speed sensors are nice and clean. No damages anywhere it seems, car was just fine and then all of a sudden started this. I’ve done a ZPC with no luck either. I need to try and tow the vehicle to be able to read live ABS codes but any suggestions before i have to call a tow truck to take it to a shop.

Recently replaced wheel bearings and lower control arms now on my 05 GX470. For some reason now if you in any way try to accelerate the vehicle by the gas pedal it come to halt and applies it’s own brakes and if you try to force it to drive it locks up harder and Traction control light pops up for a second. Any ideas on what could be the cause? I’ve cleaned the inside of the bearing and assembly good and all the wheel speed sensors are nice and clean. No damages anywhere it seems, car was just fine and then all of a sudden started this. I’ve done a ZPC with no luck either. I need to try and tow the vehicle to be able to read live ABS codes but any suggestions before i have to call a tow truck to take it to a shop.
Did you top off your brake fluid btw? The only time I have had something like this happen is when I accidentally poured some power steering fluid in the brake reservoir like an idiot! The car would go about 20-50 feet and the fluid would expand, causing the calipers to clamp down. Outside of that all I can think of is the wheel sensor plugs on the back of the hubs not being connected? Pretty sure that would send some codes though.

Did you top off your brake fluid btw? The only time I have had something like this happen is when I accidentally poured some power steering fluid in the brake reservoir like an idiot! The car would go about 20-50 feet and the fluid would expand, causing the calipers to clamp down. Outside of that all I can think of is the wheel sensor plugs on the back of the hubs not being connected? Pretty sure that would send some codes though.
I’ll check brake fluid, and yes the wires are all attached

D0283B11-2C8E-465B-92CF-538B01CBA9E6.jpeg

Before you get it towed try unhooking the battery for 5 minutes just for s***s and giggles...who knows, maybe it's just some strange electrical gremlin?

I curious if this is part of the traction control failing or if this is a mechanical issue. Try pushing the car while the engine is off while in neutral. If you are able to push it no problem then this must be on the electronic side.

Yes definitely a electronics issue because the car rolls fine in drive or reverse when it’s in gear. but once you hit the gas pedal to accelerate it just locks up
I curious if this is part of the traction control failing or if this is a mechanical issue. Try pushing the car while the engine is off while in neutral. If you are able to push it no problem then this must be on the electronic side.

Check the front speed sensors. Visual inspection for damage (wires especially since you did LCA and bearings). Then Techstream to see what the ECU is seeing from both sensors.

Did you remove the ABS sensors from the knuckle before removing the wheel bearing? I think they can get damaged if left in place.

In your pic the Allen head doesn’t look like its had a key in it lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom